Objective Science ...
(photo credit: unknown to me)

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1748

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.”
(Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988)

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

“The problem grows if we ask “Do people have ethical obligations toward rocks?” To an ancient Greek, to an American Indian, or perhaps to certain kinds of Buddhists, the question would have meaning. For quite different reasons they would probably reply ‘Yes,’ and the replies would reflect not prudential ethics but their ideas about the nature of reality. But today to almost all Americans, still saturated with ideas historically dominant in Christianity (although perhaps not necessarily so), the question makes no sense at all. If the time comes when to any considerable group of us such a question is no longer ridiculous, we may be on the verge of a change of value structures that will make possible measures to cope with the growing ecologic crisis. One hopes that there is enough time left.

“The spaceship mentality is the final sophistication of this disastrous man-centered view of the nature of things and the things of nature, and it has the present allurement of seeming to offer ecologic solutions without sacrifice of the old presuppositions. We are in worse danger than we seem.”

(Lynn White, Jr).

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14628

. . .

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

"In wildness is the preservation of the world!"
(Henry David Thoreau)

... and therefore time to read and/or listen to Tom Hirons' great poem "Sometimes a Wild God" which you can find, with audio, here:
https://tomhirons.com/poetry/sometimes-a-wild-god

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

While trauma is hell on earth, trauma resolved is a gift from the gods.
(Peter Levine)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

. . .

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017

"If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down"
(Charles Darwin, in (full title of book): "On the Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection on the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life", pub 1859)

If Darwin were alive today, he would be refuting his own theory because there are proven  'jumps' in evolution that are not "slight modifications"

And yet the notion of "survival of the fittest" (which Darwin never said) is still a driving belief/force in politics and business,
and in medical euthanasia
(EG: Canada's latest law that allows MAiD {Medical Assistance in Dying} which has been expanded from
(1). "request by a person whose death is 'reasonably forseeable'" (2016), to
(2). (in 2021) include "request by a person whose death is NOT 'reasonably forseeable' (!! well, that's everyone else, isn't it?)
MAiD deaths in Canada grown from 1,018 in 2016, to 13,241 in 2022
and in 2024 the MAiD laws are now set to include people with "mental illness", a lot of whom are disabled as well ... and those with anorexia have also been given the 'green light' to apply for MAiD

errrr...., I'd better stop here: perhaps euthanasia needs a separate thread. (While I'm at it, note also the FULL title of the book ... "preservation of favoured races ..."

But the point of the quote higlights how some scientific theories are given God-like status, weaponised and perpetuated long after they have been disproven, whilst at the same time other scientific theories have been ridiculed, side-lined, and defunded.

monovox128
Philis PriceDean
Dangerous Mind
United States 2awards
Joined 22nd June 2022
Forum Posts: 74

AMEN and HALLELUJAH 🥰 ❤️ 💯 🫂

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Josh said:"If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down"
(Charles Darwin, in (full title of book): "On the Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection on the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life", pub 1859)

If Darwin were alive today, he would be refuting his own theory because there are proven  'jumps' in evolution that are not "slight modifications"

And yet the notion of "survival of the fittest" (which Darwin never said) is still a driving belief/force in politics and business,
and in medical euthanasia
(EG: Canada's latest law that allows MAiD {Medical Assistance in Dying} which has been expanded from
(1). "request by a person whose death is 'reasonably forseeable'" (2016), to
(2). (in 2021) include "request by a person whose death is NOT 'reasonably forseeable' (!! well, that's everyone else, isn't it?)
MAiD deaths in Canada grown from 1,018 in 2016, to 13,241 in 2022
and in 2024 the MAiD laws are now set to include people with "mental illness", a lot of whom are disabled as well ... and those with anorexia have also been given the 'green light' to apply for MAiD

errrr...., I'd better stop here: perhaps euthanasia needs a separate thread. (While I'm at it, note also the FULL title of the book ... "preservation of favoured races ..."

But the point of the quote higlights how some scientific theories are given God-like status, weaponised and perpetuated long after they have been disproven, whilst at the same time other scientific theories have been ridiculed, side-lined, and defunded.

I started a "News" column for topics such as this. I kept running across things I wanted to share and discuss, but didn't know where.

mysteriouslady
Tyrant of Words
United States 15awards
Joined 11th Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 2460

"Make America great again!"  President Donald J. Trump. Brilliant

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2255

It is said