Go to page:

Official DUP NaPo/GloProWriMo 2019 Discussion

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1337

JohnnyBlaze said:

We have had a couple of incidences of this so far.  It's lot easier to write such than it is to write an actual poem. And thus is not really fair to the other participants.

Please, let's keep the entries from here on out poetry only.

i would not agree that prose is easier to write than poetry. different, but not easier. some people may be able to bang out some prose with ease, but not others. just as some can bang out some good poetry with ease and others can't.

apples and oranges.

also

for the sake of argument, i present:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prose_poetry
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/learn/glossary-terms/prose-poem
https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/text/prose-poem-poetic-form

carry on!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

DaisyGrace said:

apples and oranges.

i struggle with the rhyming gig!!
i think each of us struggle in one area or another.

I sometimes don't even know if my spill can be considered poetry until the thoughtful comments come in.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 903

Some of my poems are just spilled thoughts broken into lines, although I think I always at least put a poetic "punch" in there that separates it from simply being broken up narrative (see today's submission, for instance). I definitely feel much better when there is a clear and present rhythm, regardless of rhymery.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

DaisyGrace said:i would not agree that prose is easier to write than poetry.

The way I read that statement was that it's easier to spill words without thoughtfully formatting into rhythmic verse.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

When you write in prose, you cook the rice.
When you write poetry, you turn rice into rice wine.

Cooked rice doesn't change its shape, but rice wine changes both in quality and shape.
Cooked rice makes one full so one can live out one's life span . . .

wine, on the other hand, makes one drunk, makes the sad happy, and the happy sad.
Its effect is sublimely beyond explanation.

-- Wu Qiao

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

ImperfectedStone said:Sorry if this includes me, I have a tendancy to fall deep into prose. I assure you it's entirely unintentional.

Viddax said:I am loosely following the free form poetry style, so its poetry if it has some lyrical quality right?

Not necessarily limited to such.

Poetry can be best described as communicating information, feelings and or emotions using words in a unique way or various unique ways combined.

That would include but is not limited to

- emphasis created with alliterations, consonance and assonance.
- rhyme and near rhyme
- classic formations such as sonnets
- spins on classic formations such as Josh has created
- fresh formations that future poets could fall in love with, such as the Paradelle
- making up new fangled words and even glimpses into a bizarre unheard of language
- using symbolism
- perpetuating a theme through reinforcement with choice words
- evoking a feeling or emotion through reinforcement with choice words
- repeating words sparingly or not at all

Simply put, if it reads like prose, then it is prose, now matter how the words are arranged.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

we are straying very close the "what is art and who gets to decide" conversation.

if i put a block of text on the page and call it poetry, is it poetry?
if i put three random brush strokes on a canvas and call it art, is it art?
if i string together four chords and a simple rhythm together, loop it for three minutes, and call it a song, is it a song?

my answer, and probably many others, is no. just because you call the product something, doesn't mean that it is that thing. i can't make roasted broccoli and call it ice cream. i just can't.

BUT...who is the gatekeeper of the art? who gets to decide if what i have put out there is, in fact, a poem. or a song. or an artistic masterpiece.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015

I am confident that everyone in this challenge can write and recognize poetry, and that every one of us has had to bend our own expectations of our poetry at least once or twice during the last three weeks.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

SatInUGal said:

The way I read that statement was that it's easier to spill words without thoughtfully formatting into rhythmic verse.

but poetry doesn't have to have rhythm. it does, quite often, but it doesn't have to.

i spend time writing prose and poetry and i will labor just as much over prose as i do poetry.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

and p.s. i am soooooooo not being combative. i hope that's coming across. just putting thoughts out there.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

DaisyGrace said:we are straying very close the "what is art and who gets to decide" conversation.

if i put a block of text on the page and call it poetry, is it poetry?
if i put three random brush strokes on a canvas and call it art, is it art?
if i string together four chords and a simple rhythm together, loop it for three minutes, and call it a song, is it a song?

my answer, and probably many others, is no. just because you call the product something, doesn't mean that it is that thing. i can't make roasted broccoli and call it ice cream. i just can't.

BUT...who is the gatekeeper of the art? who gets to decide if what i have put out there is, in fact, a poem. or a song. or an artistic masterpiece.

In this particular challenge, we do.

There are three additional types of prose literature aside from poetic prose ( which definitely separates the apples from the oranges ): Fictional Prose (Includes novels, novellas, short stories); Non-fictional Prose (Includes biographies, essays, journals); and Heroic Prose (Includes legends, tales).  

Some simply do not qualify as poetry, albeit they may as art.

DaisyGrace said:and p.s. i am soooooooo not being combative. i hope that's coming across. just putting thoughts out there.

I'm not taking you as being combative at all, but posing some good things to think about.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1688

ImperfectedStone said:Sorry if this includes me, I have a tendancy to fall deep into prose. I assure you it's entirely unintentional.

In all my reads of your daily NaPo postings, Poppy, I've never once thought I wasn't reading poetry.  :))

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017

Ahavati said:

Not at all.

then i am very sorry that it's not coming across. i am not trying to be combative or question you guys! you've done a fantastic job and i have no qualms with how you're running things. i was just throwing some thoughts out to be discussed, but after this, i'll let it drop.

again, sorry!

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

SatInUGal said:

Thoughtfully formatting it into something other than prose would suffice.

Go to page:
Go to: