United States
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 2678

Tallen said:Ahavati -- Your

20/30
iv. Gamit

made me smile  

Thank you, Tallen.  Been playing chess since I was about 4.  My father insisted I learn. Best lesson, ever.

poet
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
15awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 818

Ahavati said:

Thank you, Tallen.  Been playing chess since I was about 4.  My father insisted I learn. Best lesson, ever.

You hold a USCF or FIDE rating?

my dad coerced me to play when i was 6
(pull weeds with brother and sister or learn to play)

I played 2 (10 minute) games vs Sky at chess.com
She's the complete Pkg for me  

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

You hold a USCF or FIDE rating?

my dad coerced me to play when i was 6
(pull weeds with brother and sister or learn to play)

I played 2 (10 minute) games vs Sky at chess.com
She's the complete Pkg for me  

I hold nothing except knowledge of the game; never was interested in competing. It truly is beneficial if children are taught at a young age; it instills so much insight into thinking ahead and problem solving as well.  I was amazed at the parallels between the game and psychology.  

poet
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:

I hold nothing except knowledge of the game; never was interested in competing. It truly is beneficial if children are taught at a young age; it instills so much insight into thinking ahead and problem solving as well.  I was amazed at the parallels between the game and psychology.  

Agree.  I used to teach Beginner's Chess in Arizona at 14 elementary schools in the Phoenix metro area.  

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

Agree.  I used to teach Beginner's Chess in Arizona at 14 elementary schools in the Phoenix metro area.  

That is AWESOME.

poet
Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom
21awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6410

If you feel you are flagging then there is always the prompts, just saying....
Seriously though, ensure you have some out-time where your mind can relax or get into gear if you feel the poetry level is starting to slip and slide downwards.
One possibility is to read the poems other people have posted for inspiration in theme or style or form etc. Another way if you feel you are repeating yourself, is to strive to do the complete opposite, or you go back to the familiar form and style if you have done nothing but experiment so far in the competition. The great thing is that the competition is an area to experiment and discover, thanks to the framework of 50 unique words being rather open-ended and liberating. Just a few tips and tricks that might be helpful.
It as been going on for so long it seems, that I cannot remember what it was life before the month started!

poet
Josh
Dangerous Mind
Portugal
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 321

Viddax said:If you feel you are flagging then there is always the prompts, just saying....
Seriously though, ensure you have some out-time where your mind can relax or get into gear if you feel the poetry level is starting to slip and slide downwards.
One possibility is to read the poems other people have posted for inspiration in theme or style or form etc. Another way if you feel you are repeating yourself, is to strive to do the complete opposite, or you go back to the familiar form and style if you have done nothing but experiment so far in the competition. The great thing is that the competition is an area to experiment and discover, thanks to the framework of 50 unique words being rather open-ended and liberating. Just a few tips and tricks that might be helpful.
It as been going on for so long it seems, that I cannot remember what it was life before the month started!

Viddax said: "It as been going on for so long it seems, that I cannot remember what it was life before the month started!"
The month before was called 'March', the sun shone every day, you ate your favourite cake everyday and had all the time in the world to walk along the beach/fells/lakes and contemplate the beauty of Nature which inspired the odd poem.

poet
Summerrain75
Fire of Insight
Philippines
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 99

Josh said:

"It as been going on for so long it seems, that I cannot remember what it was life before the month started!"
The month before was called 'March', the sun shone every day, you ate your favourite cake everyday and had all the time in the world to walk along the beach/fells/lakes and contemplate the beauty of Nature which inspired the odd poem.

Lol just 9 days to go. Everything will be normal again.

poet
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Summerrain75 said:

Lol just 9 days to go. Everything will be normal again.

and then nothing but chess and blue berry cheesecake!!!!!!!!!!

(Hey, in May I'll be turning 62 and so a dbl celebration)

poet
Josh
Dangerous Mind
Portugal
20awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 321

Tallen said:

I'll be turning 63 beginning July, so let's party on through ...  

poet
Summerrain75
Fire of Insight
Philippines
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 99

Tallen said:

Wow. I love blue berry cheesecake that would be lovely a dbl celebration.

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Yep! The countdown officially began today!

10!!!!

poet
PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 190

Viddax said:If you feel you are flagging then there is always the prompts, just saying....

This is great advice.  I was reading the ' poetry swap meet ' thread and there were some great posts of classic poems on there that members loved, one of them inspired me to write something, so that's another idea to find inspiration

Go to page:
Go to: