Official DUP NaPo/GloProWriMo 2019 Discussion

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:I honestly don't see how you did it that year.

That's about all I did, not accomplishing anything else LOL!

Ahavati said:I've learned through my personal goal of no repetition, just how powerful words are.   I am grateful for the opportunity to discover that partly because of Sky's article, and my determination to see if through despite how doubtful it may appear.

I know I am constantly monitoring my repetitions after reading how amazing your Proverbs has been turning out.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2295

JohnnyBlaze said:Folks, we were wondering if you could provide us with some insight into whether or not participating in NaPoWriMo 2019 so far has helped you discover something about yourself you were never aware of before.

that i am beginning to suspect (and others believe)
i am kind of good with spilling not so much poems but the stuff I've been spilling recently.

I do believe, however, other influences (Sky_dancer and the Friends here who i chat with more than occasionally)  have contributed to my confidence and acceptance of praise and critique.

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1748

JohnnyBlaze said:Folks, we were wondering if you could provide us with some insight into whether or not participating in NaPoWriMo 2019 so far has helped you discover something about yourself you were never aware of before.

For example, regarding NaPo 2017, I discovered that the amount of poetry one could write in 16 hours was incredible. I recall writing as many as 12 poems in a single day when I had fallen behind with all of my accounts participating because of a family gathering prevented me from participating for two days. These were all 50+ unique words too, as that aspect of our challenge over the years hasn't changed.

This year I have no focus, neither form nor thematic content (as opposed to my last NaPo, in 2017, when I had the focus of writing 30 villanelles). I am finding the complete openness doesn't really help. I think I respond better to some self-chosen guidelines. It looks to me that those who have a theme to work to are gifting us all with a higher level of contributions.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 823

Ahavati said:

I honestly don't see how you did it that year.

I've learned through this year's personal goal of no repetition, just how powerful words are.   I am grateful for the opportunity to discover that partly because of Sky's article, and my determination to see if through despite how doubtful it may appear.

For some reason, everyday I've been visited with inspiration. I find I am subconsciously noticing my surroundings more and pondering on my history. I am also writing, finally, about ideas and themes that have been warming, set to low, on my cerebral back-burner. I am enjoying revisiting some styles I've been exposed to by past competitions, namely the Villanelle and Kennings forms.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6698

Just a heads up here about my recent entry/entries in the actual competition. The first 'Gestation' uses the days prompt, while the latter 'Forest Frolics' helps bump it all past the self-imposed 200 unique words.
Thanks to the prompts and daily inspiration from the aether and reading other entries I am not finding this year too hard on forming a poetry topic. Self-imposed guidelines/rules can help in the competition if needed but are not critical as it is all a long marathon not a race: the rules and guidelines help guide towards writing a poem.
Sorry if this sounds a bit disjointed or pompous; unique 200 is a bit too much and feels like it is alienating me from the rest of you.

Misfitpoet89
Twisted Dreamer
United States 4awards
Joined 25th Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 151

Josh said:

This year I have no focus, neither form nor thematic content (as opposed to my last NaPo, in 2017, when I had the focus of writing 30 villanelles). I am finding the complete openness doesn't really help. I think I respond better to some self-chosen guidelines. It looks to me that those who have a theme to work to are gifting us all with a higher level of contributions.

I feel the same way honestly. I feel in some ways though, I am writing just to write and it’s lacking in depth of emotion for me.

poet Anonymous

For example, regarding NaPo 2017, I discovered that the amount of poetry one could write in 16 hours was incredible. I recall writing as many as 12 poems in a single day when I had fallen behind with all of my accounts participating because of a family gathering prevented me from participating for two days. These were all 50+ unique words too, as that aspect of our challenge over the years hasn't changed.

i've managed to find something to write about every day tho i can't quite say i'm happy with all of it & just can't wait to start to disembowel them all in May & see what's best for manure and what can be kept.
tbh two days ago i was ready to throw in the towel & say fuckit, way too much happening irl buuuuuuuuuuuut I've learned I can write while wanting to garrote someone with their own entrails soooooo yay napo 2019

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14634

Viddax said:Just a heads up here about my recent entry/entries in the actual competition. The first 'Gestation' uses the days prompt, while the latter 'Forest Frolics' helps bump it all past the self-imposed 200 unique words.
Thanks to the prompts and daily inspiration from the aether and reading other entries I am not finding this year too hard on forming a poetry topic. Self-imposed guidelines/rules can help in the competition if needed but are not critical as it is all a long marathon not a race: the rules and guidelines help guide towards writing a poem.
Sorry if this sounds a bit disjointed or pompous; unique 200 is a bit too much and feels like it is alienating me from the rest of you.

I think what you're feeling is normal; I feel that way to a degree with my self-imposed, all unique word entries, despite posting right along with everyone else.  Perhaps when we challenge ourselves further than the actual challenge, we think  we're walking alone rather than having a "buddy" who gets it walking beside us.  Even thought that's not true, we're just as supported as we support.

I do hope you have a challenger in the prompt comp soon - though I understand why the others feel intimidated!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2295

Ahavati said:

I do hope you have a challenger in the prompt comp soon - though I understand why the others feel intimidated!

Not intimidated
only indolent and not sleeping very well

the past 3 days i think i got a total of 5.5 hrs of sleep

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Sky_dancer said:

Man, that's commitment!

I think I've found a degree of acceptance in my ability. I'm not brilliant, I'm not awful. I'm discovering my strengths and weaknesses. What I need to do to write consistently (some degree of discipline). Most of all I've seen the importance of like-minded people to support you in your path, to have poetic sangha.

Thank you all.

Perfect!

JohnnyBlaze said:

I know I am constantly monitoring my repetitions after reading how amazing your Proverbs has been turning out.

Wow!

Tallen said:

that i am beginning to suspect (and others believe)
i am kind of good with spilling not so much poems but the stuff I've been spilling recently.

I do believe, however, other influences (Sky_dancer and the Friends here who i chat with more than occasionally)  have contributed to my confidence and acceptance of praise and critique.

Coming-from-the-heart spills are the best. It's what makes us human and connects with like-minded readers; says, "you're not alone".

Josh said:

I learned this lesson a decade ago.  II greatly admire those who can write without a theme.  But for what it's worth - you're doing great, Josh. And it's never too late to change your mind about what you want to do.  This is NaPo - and there are NO restrictions on WHAT you write, including form, only THAT you write.

Currents do change course, my friend.

Gahddess_Worship said:

For some reason, everyday I've been visited with inspiration. I find I am subconsciously noticing my surroundings more and pondering on my history. I am also writing, finally, about ideas and themes that have been warming, set to low, on my cerebral back-burner. I am enjoying revisiting some styles I've been exposed to by past competitions, namely the Villanelle and Kennings forms.

Perfect!

Misfitpoet89 said:

I feel the same way honestly. I feel in some ways though, I am writing just to write and it’s lacking in depth of emotion for me.

THAT is completely normal during NaPo,  

Earth_Child said:

i've managed to find something to write about every day tho i can't quite say i'm happy with all of it & just can't wait to start to disembowel them all in May & see what's best for manure and what can be kept.
tbh two days ago i was ready to throw in the towel & say fuckit, way too much happening irl buuuuuuuuuuuut I've learned I can write while wanting to garrote someone with their own entrails soooooo yay napo 2019

As meditating in peace at a busy corner vs finding a quiet corner to meditate. Perfect!

Tallen said:

Not intimidated
only indolent and not sleeping very well

the past 3 days i think i got a total of 5.5 hrs of sleep

Well hopefully you'll get some sleep and give it a go! I know Viddax would appreciate it!

You're all doing wonderful, and we are so impressed with the caliber of entries this year. It does seem to be one of hardships for a couple of our members, but the team is really holding them up and inspiring them to continue.

We are a well-oiled machine! Onward!

Heaven_sent_Kathy
Thought Provoker
United States 9awards
Joined 1st Nov 2017
Forum Posts: 177

Ahavati said:

I've actually looked through the prompt list and I do plan to give one a try though I can't promise.  I figure there's still time in the month.  Just wanted to be one who says no, no intimidation.  Just don't want to break my neck and not make it to the end.

If I can manage it I certainly will give it a try.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Heaven_sent_Kathy said:

I've actually looked through the prompt list and I do plan to give one a try though I can't promise.  I figure there's still time in the month.  Just wanted to be one who says no, no intimidation.  Just don't want to break my neck and not make it to the end.

If I can manage it I certainly will give it a try.

You can do eeet!

PoetsRevenge
Dangerous Mind
United States 28awards
Joined 30th June 2016
Forum Posts: 736

I have wanted to try writing a story for a change since I write so much poetry.  I wanted to see how descriptive I could be while keeping it entertaining and meeting the unique word minimum.  I also wanted to see if I could write from memory.  It sounds like a lot of challenges, but it has gone well.  It is a journey of the heart as well, and I feel like the supportive environment of this challenge is encouraging me.  All of everyone's writings so far have been great, the continuity of writing and reading this way is really special.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

PoetsRevenge said:

I have wanted to try writing a story for a change since I write so much poetry.  I wanted to see how descriptive I could be while keeping it entertaining and meeting the unique word minimum.  I also wanted to see if I could write from memory.  It sounds like a lot of challenges, but it has gone well. It is a journey of the heart as well, and I feel like the supportive environment of this challenge is encouraging me.  All of everyone's writings so far have been great, the continuity of writing and reading this way is really special.

Thank you for that.  This is the spirit of NaPo.  📝❤

You're doing great, PR.

Go to page:
Go to: