Go to page:

DU rank system

OxyMoronicMe
G.L.
Dangerous Mind
Philippines 24awards
Joined 15th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 1470

With regards to the ranking system,  I'm not really sure how it works, but i find it really stimulating (and motivating). Of course, for a restless person like me,  it's my way of keeping myself stay focus enough... Like a long term goal that is fun to work on.

About competions,  truth be told,  i find it a very good venue.  For novice like me with scattered thoughts, the competition theme works well as a kind of writing prompt...  Like a little workshop room where i can try find my way (style and form wise)  and see if i can do this and that.  The throphy for me, if I happen to win it,  is just incidental (and a welcome delight, not to feed my ego but like an encouragement for me to continue to try)

Also, in competition thread, reading entries made by others give me a whole lot of wider pespective when it comes to relating and appreciating other people's work, rather than if i just read a poem randomly posted.  Maybe because i know the theme and it makes me understand their works better even if it's vaguely written with lots of metaphors and difficult words.

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

fair enough point, Ahavati; you would know such things better than I. And as I said in the earlier post ...but hey that's just me......some people obviously enjoy these aspects of the site.  

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

re: cold_fusion
well Van..you did more than just provoke haha

what I can say, I cannot help but poke the hornets nest sometimes lol

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

cold_fusion said:

well Van..you did more than just provoke haha

...and i been trying to tell people without any success i am not a dangerous mind...

Mine is actually pretty accurate--my oldest cat is named Shadow, and I'm his mom, so I guess that does make me the Guardian of Shadow(s) ...... lol

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Vandel_Viaclovsky said:fair enough point, Ahavati; you would know such things better than I. And as I said in the earlier post ...but hey that's just me......some people obviously enjoy these aspects of the site.  

Ya work with what'cha got, Van! Ya work with what'cha got!"

poet Anonymous

I follow because I enjoy your talent…You have something to say and I never perceived that you said it for rank or competition.  When we assess motives, “winning” or “titles” may not be the best approach; I agree with your reasons for being here. Sure, it’s always great to win…but that’s more of an obsession for MFA types. (BTW, I seldom ever see any negative comments made on anyone’s work; I don’t see this site as a “critique” platform…your rationale seems more altruistic).  Keep writing, enjoying and being enjoyed!  
(I DO wish more poets would comment; that's just me.)

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

I think the negative critique is written so deftly that it's not even considered negative. It's written more as guidance ' perhaps you..' or ' if it were me I would..'. But altruism is HUGE here - people give of their time to go over concepts with you, listen when you need it.

About the rank system - I like it. Is it in my face? No, and that's good - I like it because it give me a subtle push to be more social and interactive. Like 'Psst! you should do some commenting  or go do the exercises in Word Play'.  I tend to get invested in the writing and the competitions, and need things to get me out of my head.

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

Who cut the fuckin' cheese?

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

MadameLavender said:

Mine is actually pretty accurate--my oldest cat is named Shadow, and I'm his mom, so I guess that does make me the Guardian of Shadow(s) ...... lol

apt. truly a Guardian!! but hey ...your cat on the other hand would like to think the other way am sure

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 864

Ahavati said:

It's not necessarily superficial.  For example, using the competition threads to introduce classic or modern poets is extremely beneficial.  Especially to those who've never studied them.  It also creates themes based on those threads, which are likely to draw more quality poets to the site.*

* Of course it doesn't guarantee members will read up on them; however, one can always hope. I know I saw an influx of comments regarding Rimbaud and Rilke during and after the comps, even from members who didn't enter their own poetry.  

I’ve learned so much since I came here - the competitions are a really great way for me to find new poets to follow and to get a feel for a competition before I sit down to write my own entry.  And, I’ve found classic poetry I might not have ever read otherwise.  I don’t care about the titles/ranking, but I do like the reading challenges - it kind of forces me to expose my mind to new ideas and poems I wouldn’t have read on my own.  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

LunaGreyhawk said:

I’ve learned so much since I came here - the competitions are a really great way for me to find new poets to follow and to get a feel for a competition before I sit down to write my own entry.  And, I’ve found classic poetry I might not have ever read otherwise.  I don’t care about the titles/ranking, but I do like the reading challenges - it kind of forces me to expose my mind to new ideas and poems I wouldn’t have read on my own.  

So happy to read this, Luna. That is exactly the true intent, imho, of this competition forum.  I mean we all know awards are simply virtual; however, they can be a source of inspiration when you are recognized.  Especially if you've been experiencing doubt or anxiety about writing.  It's like the Universe working through people to say, "See? You are on the right track." xo

Go to page:
Go to: