Go to page:

DU rank system

fieryangelsouljia
M6rr6g6n
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 30th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 263

So.. i joined this site 8 years ago when i was like.. 13. Now I'm 21 and because I had zero desire to join competitions and whatnot I've remained at "thought provoker". Lol was I supposed to win competitions over the years to gain rank? because honestly i simply enjoy being on here and posting poems and reading others.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Being the epitomie of the great unwashed, the poets here are rank enough.

Welcome to DU PU.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

"User ranks are a way to determine which members are the most active on Deep Underground Poetry. You can improve your rank by posting on the website. This includes publishing your poems, commenting on other peoples' poems and participating in the forums. Your rank doesn't affect the functionality of the website."

Simply post, comment and publish on DU and the rank will rise given time. I confess that the exact details (as in exactly how many of x are needed) are not shown, which is probably for the better. Generally being more prolific raises the rank quicker than other profiles. However rank of course has very little impact on anything. Frankly it can seem a bit weird when the rank does change with no fireworks, plus the once the Tyrant rank is reached there isn't really any way up or beyond that.

Perhaps this means that other ways of showing commitment to DU might be in the works; such as trophies/badges/ranks based on time rather than amount done on DU.

On behalf of DU, honestly glad you have stuck here for so long, it may mean something somewhere, but we are just glad you choose here.

poet Anonymous

I did used to have a list from bygone days but I can’t find it. All I can remember is that Tyrant Of Words is 5,000 combined interactions (poems posted + comments + forum posts)

So yeah. Not so much length of membership but the amount you jabber, really.

...Apparently, my mouth is fkn huge.

I think there should be a rank after tyrant. Something for us to work for 😂

takis1917
Fire of Insight
6awards
Joined 6th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 133

I thought that these things were randomly placed on profiles and were randomly changing. I find myself chuckling a bit learning they are some kind of users rank... Is there any way that a user can choose not to be ranked?

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

Personally speaking I find all the ranks and trophies and whatnot to be silly and distracting props and ego-games, and I have never much cared for art/poetry competitions for much the same reasons....but hey that's just me......some people obviously enjoy these aspects of the site.  

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 86awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5594

“Imagine there’s no rankings,
it’s easy if you try .
No words below us,
above us, only DUP .

Imagine all the poets,
writing poems in peace ..”

^^and there’s my John Lennon contribution to this thread. 👍

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013

heh well it was certainly a pipe-dream when john lennon sang it and I imagine that it is still very much a pipe dream now; people are very fond of their tribes and their trophies and all their superficial measures of worth after all....

BargainBinPoet
Bargain Bin Poet
Lost Thinker
Joined 3rd Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 7

Grrl fiend, u hav jus ruined yer chances of making it into the DUP H.O.F.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

redacted i was very rude and did not use my making friends voice

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

well..the ranks are full yet not one cabbie ready to go?

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013

....by the way, I am just trying to be a provoker of thoughts here, as my rank says I should. :)

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

Vandel_Viaclovsky said:....by the way, I am just trying to be a provoker of thoughts here, as my rank says I should. :)

well Van..you did more than just provoke haha

...and i been trying to tell people without any success i am not a dangerous mind...

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2264

I've only been a member for a week and I was wondering that the titles meant; now I know.

As far as the trophy shit,
IRL I'd only enter tournaments that offered a cash prize but some people need to have something to polish and or dust.  (I hate dusting)

BTW, Can I keep the Strange Creature, title ?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Vandel_Viaclovsky said:
heh well it was certainly a pipe-dream when john lennon sang it and I imagine that it is still very much a pipe dream now; people are very fond of their tribes and their trophies and all their superficial measures of worth after all....

It's not necessarily superficial.  For example, using the competition threads to introduce classic or modern poets is extremely beneficial.  Especially to those who've never studied them.  It also creates themes based on those threads, which are likely to draw more quality poets to the site.*

* Of course it doesn't guarantee members will read up on them; however, one can always hope. I know I saw an influx of comments regarding Rimbaud and Rilke during and after the comps, even from members who didn't enter their own poetry.  

Go to page:
Go to: