Go to page:

Tortured Artists / Loneliness

Medinda
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2018
Forum Posts: 93

I'm seeing a pattern.  I've met so many many people here on DU and one common thread I keep finding is loneliness.
Are we a stereotype of the misunderstood, brooding artist or just a gathering of really lonely people?
And does writing about it help or compound the feelings?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Medinda
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2018

Good point.  

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

I don't think so. certainly good poetry comes from being lonely, but equally good poetry comes from being in love

I think its fair to say everyone is tortured on some level. (poets translate that feeling, readers relate ) goes for artists, musicians too

poetry can be deceptive. I've read poems from devout christians which weren't  very christian

to conclude, i don't think we are either of your choices above, I think when you spend more time here you'll see there are no box's or catagories which encompase everyone

thank you

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1368

lepperochan said:I don't think so. certainly good poetry comes from being lonely, but equally good poetry comes from being in love

I think its fair to say everyone is tortured on some level. (poets translate that feeling, readers relate ) goes for artists, musicians too

poetry can be deceptive. I've read poems from devout christians which weren't  very christian

to conclude, i don't think we are either of your choices above, I think when you spend more time here you'll see there are no box's or catagories which encompase everyone

thank you

I agree with this. I don’t think artists have to be a “tortured” soul to create art. I would actually argue that the art is made when the “tortured” soul is actually feeling not so tortured.

I have depression and anxiety. When I am in a depressed state, I have no energy to create anything. I barely have enough energy to function. It is when I am NOT in that depressed state that I can actually think and write.

I don’t mean that to be a blanket statement, obviously. My experience is purely anecdotal.

Medinda
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2018

Hmmm. I have read these things and pondered on them in my mind.  Perhaps I stated myself wrong...
I don't want to place writers/artists in a box and won't assume that we all are the same because clearly we are as vast and unique as the star systems in the universe.
But, there is the stereotype....
And stereotypes do stand for a reason,  being the pinch of truth at their root.
So, I come to think that perhaps all people are in someway tortured by our human conditions and the only ones capable of expressing that coherently are the writers and artists of the world.
The rest of them see their own pain in our words and pictures and we are then placed into that box.
The tortured box I think because most anyone can express happiness and joy but to relate the complexities of pain and suffering is so much more difficult.
So then,  are we in the box, the stereotype because we are just so dang good at what we do? Saying/painting the emotions others can't find the words to say?
Hmm, I like to think maybe so.

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6694

I think artists are simply better able to express and convey the darker part of life such as loneliness and being a tortured soul; everyone feels that but does not always show or express it as noticeably as artists tend to. The artist tends to tap into emotions and empathy, so the wrongness of things like loneliness and torture chime better with others more noticeably than say, an art that has contentment as a theme.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

"does writing help or compound"

most people would agree writing helps. even therapists encourage people to write.

on a practical level, writing a poem about being lonely could attract another lonely soul, I've seen it happen here: marriage and a baby

I look on stereotypes with caution. though like you say there can be a pinch of truth but they're mostly derogatory

*hat tip*

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 926

I think artists find the beauty in things like loneliness, and that catches people's eye because they aren't accustomed to seeing beauty in these "negative" things. Thus, a paradoxical community of lonely people, but also a mirage, for we are describing things that others don't describe, not necessarily living our lives in a meaningfully different way as a block.

Medinda
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 22nd Aug 2018

As always,  you have great insight. May be on to something there ; )

Eerie
Dangerous Mind
14awards
Joined 29th July 2018
Forum Posts: 890

I think it can both help and compound. And which way it goes depends on the person. Years ago, writing about dark and emotional themes really compounded the depressed state I was in and did nothing to help pull myself out of it. Years later, I am in a better state and find that writing about these themes is less detrimental and more therapeutic. But, I am only one person and what may be true for me may not be true for the next person.
On the topic of loneliness, I spent a lot of years unable to cope with feelings of loneliness. But one day I realized I wasn’t actually lonely, I just didn’t accept that I was, by nature, a loner. I thought I needed to be and feel some other way. Once I accepted this fact I stopped feeling lonely I think people write for a myriad of reasons, each unique to their own experiences. Readers get to interpret that how they choose. The beauty of writing!!

babajava
Thought Provoker
Mexico
Joined 18th June 2018
Forum Posts: 2

It is painful to realise that lonliness is criteria for creativity

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

I think artists indulge in antisocial behaviors like depressed people do. Over time I imagine damage could be seen... obsessions or inspirations tend to exact a toll on friendships and other aspects of life, like grooming or sleeping.

Example: Instead of poeting here I "should" have been brushing my hair or flirting with the pretty boy sitting next to me having coffee, lol.

DaisyGrace
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 29th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 1368

babajava said:It is painful to realise that lonliness is criteria for creativity

loneliness is absolutely NOT a criteria for creativity. the whole tortured artist stereotype exists for a reason, but tortured artists do not hold the keys to creativity.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14580

DaisyGrace said:

loneliness is absolutely NOT a criteria for creativity. the whole tortured artist stereotype exists for a reason, but tortured artists do not hold the keys to creativity.

I tend to agree with that.  Some of my best work has been created from utter joy, meditative balance, and, lastly, sorrow.

Eerie said:
On the topic of loneliness, I spent a lot of years unable to cope with feelings of loneliness. But one day I realized I wasn’t actually lonely, I just didn’t accept that I was, by nature, a loner. I thought I needed to be and feel some other way. Once I accepted this fact I stopped feeling lonely I think people write for a myriad of reasons, each unique to their own experiences. Readers get to interpret that how they choose. The beauty of writing!!

Bingo.  You can be alone(r) and not feel alone.  

Go to page:
Go to: