Go to page:

1) Reporting posts, and 2) Bully mentality

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

http://imagesvh1-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:vh1.com/news/uploads/sites/2/2015/08/ds-1438616429.gif

I didn't mean to offend anyone, simply point out a typo, which is also why I didn't feel the need to quote the full text.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

slowfires5     Fascinating critique of DU full of venom and weak stereotypes signifying nothing at all - concentrate on the poetry not group insults

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14263

David_Macleod said:slowfires5     Fascinating critique of DU full of venom and weak stereotypes signifying nothing at all - concentrate on the poetry not group insults

Oops! Edited per David's edit! LOL!

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

"Surely we should all be able to just get along." said with deep sarcasm and a Benny Hinn smile
Reading some of the comments on this thread leaves me bewildered and in some cases saddened. I would have firstly thought that as writers we should be the protectors of freedom of speech  and expression - if you don't want to read erotica here's a suggestion - stop reading it, read the genres you enjoy and ignore the rest, man this aint difficult - find the block and ignore facility. If you don't want comments that may offend your sensibilities don't tick Honest critique. Please feel free to go on to my page, pick a poem and then comment "this poem is just shite!" I won't be offended, I wont report it nor would I want anyone to report it - I would ask you once to explain why it is shite and then if the answer is not good enough then on the ignore pile you go. it is true poetry sites come and go and most of them through petty bickering and over inflated egos. but that's not whats gonna happen here. I will defend DU and the service it has been to me to the hilt, shit where's my DU flag and anthem.
I am tempted to go home put on my kilt and start writing poems about, whiskey, tartan, William Wallace, Mons Meg, shortbread, porridge and bonnie purple mountains - my only comment on others poems would be 'NICE'

Bottom line if you don't like the site, and it won't bend to your will then maybe you should find another site - good luck out there :-)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

David_Macleod said:"Surely we should all be able to just get along." said with deep sarcasm and a Benny Hinn smile
Reading some of the comments on this thread leaves me bewildered and in some cases saddened. I would have firstly thought that as writers we should be the protectors of freedom of speech  and expression - if you don't want to read erotica here's a suggestion - stop reading it, read the genres you enjoy and ignore the rest, man this aint difficult - find the block and ignore facility. If you don't want comments that may offend your sensibilities don't tick Honest critique. Please feel free to go on to my page, pick a poem and then comment "this poem is just shite!" I won't be offended, I wont report it nor would I want anyone to report it - I would ask you once to explain why it is shite and then if the answer is not good enough then on the ignore pile you go. it is true poetry sites come and go and most of them through petty bickering and over inflated egos. but that's not whats gonna happen here. I will defend DU and the service it has been to me to the hilt, shit where's my DU flag and anthem.
I am tempted to go home put on my kilt and start writing poems about, whiskey, tartan, William Wallace, Mons Meg, shortbread, porridge and bonnie purple mountains - my only comment on others poems would be 'NICE'

Bottom line if you don't like the site, and it won't bend to your will then maybe you should find another site - good luck out there :-)

FREEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6672

"newsflash ( for those with a reading comprehension deficit )! It's the messages, not the member that disturbs me.  
I'm actually defending the member, while recommending the following to the messengers."

At the 80% risk of changing the topic and forming a new thread, I do not entirely see the difference between a member being disturbing and messages being disturbing: especially if it is a case of multiple times not just once. Unless the words and messages have someone managed to control the member, it is the member who has created and made them: the disturbance is the message but the disturber is the member.
The lack of naming names of specifics although wise in not starting a witch hunt or giving a target for supposed mob mentality, just suffers from another problem that is gossip. That people start to think and ponder without all the facts.

DU does not have to be nice, I am not suggesting or condoning that; it is better for its flaws than some soppy saccharine love letter always to sweetness and kindness. However simply turning a blind eye or just shrugging it off, is not always an option. To be unfeeling beings of rock with steel hearts and a head full of cogs does not mean that comments and false critique will suddenly disappear. It is also the case that poets here on DU have a habit of experimenting with styles, of not simply sticking to one style till death does them part, so simply reading poems by genre or style is not the answer. If anything the better poets do the harder stuff the right way: punching you in the gut and conveying hardness through methods developed, not just going for the cheap shot and cheap tricks to try and seem hard but lacking substance.

Well at least my ramblings have a track record of derailing developing problems long enough for some breathing space as everyone takes a moment of wtf before resuming the downward spiral.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ahavati said: Simply put, someone reported a critique on my latest poem based on their personal feelings toward the critiquer vs an actual guideline violation.  The critiquer didn't become personal and was within the guidelines with his critique.  Thus I reported the report as one based on personal feelings vs a guideline violation.  

Webmiss restored it because it violated no guidelines.

Several other members messaged me regarding the content of the critique and character of the critiquer.  Those messages disturbed me because the critique violated no guidelines.  They were based on personal feelings of dislike.  

Personal feelings have no place in a report if it doesn't violate the guidelines. Surely you can agree with that, and further agree that a removed post should be restored under the auspice that no guidelines were violated.

The thread isn't spiraled downward.  This is the discussion and debate forum. Debate is spirited sans straw man fallacy and all that jazz, as it should be.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

its good to debate. I prefer an crowed or audience you just can't beat a good mass debate :-)

slowfires5
Lost Thinker
Joined 30th Dec 2017
Forum Posts: 22

if you want to know somebody,
live with them;

if you want to know their psychology,
read their words.

what I did not do from the start was read the guidelines

so there was a deterioration of ion’s, my understanding of the

rules and guidelines of this site. mainly cut @past!

it is with the purest delight that I’m

on this site, because there are elegant poets, very good poets,

good poets, poets, poor poets, and there is the poor side of town.

all bivouac here, even the stereotypes,

all have a college lease here, and so bleach this campus

with their poetry; the blasphemers on this site,

also, have their say, everybody has the right

to his or her say;

now I’m going to point the finger at ((((Ahavsti)))

the audible words of Ahavsti had a resonance with me

because of free speech, so strong-willed, her psychology, a provost,

to control a battalion of ports, even the brittle ones, I tip my hat to you.

now ((((johnny blaze))) to say Blackwolf was trolling was out of place, his opinion is what keeps this board alive,

we are all on the same side, once we log-on we are in the same space, the same house, the same boat,

the same orbit, and as we orbit a poem we offer a crit, we become the moon that lights the poems night;

the  3 worded snide remarks you make in the forums are below your critiquing, are below your intellect,

you do have an understanding of poetry, along with Ahavsti, both of you have a high intellect,

one can see that in the crits, but why lower your standards if Ahavsti is being misplaced,

she is very capable of taking care of her self with great dignity.

((((revolution AL))) come out of that shell, come out from behind the nose foliage,

don't be so frightened, scared of your own shadow, don't worry about the thought police,

don't be on the fence, it's time you stood on the plate and take a swing at the incoming voices

that you here! stand up!!!!!!!!!!

((((vVddax)))) what you say is true, I felt it had style, intellect, good form,

it is very empowering to have good judgment very arbitrating I thought.

(((((slowfires)))) I'm not sucking up to anybody, I'm very much a loner, and I like it left that way,

every poet on this site is the rising the sun, so into the rising sun, I grab me swag and stroll around this site reading,

stop, crit poetry,  bitch love on the forums,

but having said that, what has been said on this board is like taking your car to

to the dry cleaners, for a good grease and oil change,

i  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

slowfires5 said:
if you want to know somebody,
live with them;

if you want to know their psychology,
read their words.

what I did not do from the start was read the guidelines

so there was a deterioration of ion’s, my understanding of the

rules and guidelines of this site. mainly cut @past!

it is with the purest delight that I’m

on this site, because there are elegant poets, very good poets,

good poets, poets, poor poets, and there is the poor side of town.

all bivouac here, even the stereotypes,

all have a college lease here, and so bleach this campus

with their poetry; the blasphemers on this site,

also, have their say, everybody has the right

to his or her say;

now I’m going to point the finger at ((((Ahavsti)))

the audible words of Ahavsti had a resonance with me

because of free speech, so strong-willed, her psychology, a provost,

to control a battalion of ports, even the brittle ones, I tip my hat to you.

now ((((johnny blaze))) to say Blackwolf was trolling was out of place, his opinion is what keeps this board alive,

we are all on the same side, once we log-on we are in the same space, the same house, the same boat,

the same orbit, and as we orbit a poem we offer a crit, we become the moon that lights the poems night;

the  3 worded snide remarks you make in the forums are below your critiquing, are below your intellect,

you do have an understanding of poetry, along with Ahavsti, both of you have a high intellect,

one can see that in the crits, but why lower your standards if Ahavsti is being misplaced,

she is very capable of taking care of her self with great dignity.

((((revolution AL))) come out of that shell, come out from behind the nose foliage,

don't be so frightened, scared of your own shadow, don't worry about the thought police,

don't be on the fence, it's time you stood on the plate and take a swing at the incoming voices

that you here! stand up!!!!!!!!!!

((((vVddax)))) what you say is true, I felt it had style, intellect, good form,

it is very empowering to have good judgment very arbitrating I thought.

(((((slowfires)))) I'm not sucking up to anybody, I'm very much a loner, and I like it left that way,

every poet on this site is the rising the sun, so into the rising sun, I grab me swag and stroll around this site reading,

stop, crit poetry,  bitch love on the forums,

but having said that, what has been said on this board is like taking your car to

to the dry cleaners, for a good grease and oil change,

i  

I didn't accuse Blackwolf of trolling anyone in this thread.

If you are reffering to Blackwolf writing unflattering poems about you
deepundergroundpoetry.com/poems/314088-just-a-critique/
that is an entirely seperate matter from this thread.

I did say that your critiques were lacking, because you were doing them for the sake of drawing attention to your poem posting difficulties which have absolutely nothing to do with helping people improve their poetry and it shows in your critiques.

And I suggested you work with the Moderators and Webmiss to resolve your difficulties, who are the only ones capable of helping you in the matter.

I'm all for you critiquing poetry. I just suggest you do it out of genuine desire to help others improve their poetry. Your critiques will likely improve if you do this.

Please get your facts straight before entering a conversation.

Thank you.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Thank you for clarifying that to Slowfires , Johnny ;

I just wen't back through the thread , scratching my

head , wondering what in the heck I missed , because

I did not think you ever did that here...

We may disagree about some things...but outright lying for

anyone is not good for anyone , or the site ;

We both are better than that !

( so , just a thank you )

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

David_Macleod said:its good to debate. I prefer an crowed or audience you just can't beat a good mass debate :-)

Especially one on

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Ahavati said:

Especially one on

i need to get myself a kilt so I can enjoy the