Go to page:

Common Spelling Mistakes By Poets ( And Others )

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

somebody should try to organize these errors and oversea this discussion.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

You are already oversea from me !

Now if you want to discuss this in person ,

we shall oversee your journey oversea !

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 180

lepperochan said:(slight sidetrack) I've  noticed recently i say ting a lot. its a local thing. ting can mean literally anything. kinda like smurf does in smurf land. plus "the last day" which can mean any day which has passed.

anyhoe Its and It's still hasn't registered properly. plus school used to push the i before e 'cept after c which turned out to be deceptive

that is all. possibly

It's = contraction form of the words "it is."
Use ALWAYS when you mean to condense the two words "it is"
It's raining outside! It's Friday! It's going to fall!
Same thing as saying:  IT IS raining outside! IT IS Friday! IT IS going to fall.

its = used when related to "possession" belonging to a 'thing' or 'animal'
Look at its tail wag!  The table was red and its legs were white!
HINT: You would NEVER say: Look at IT IS tail wag," or "...IT IS legs were white." So you know the apostrophe is NOT in order here.

Lepperochan is RIGHT! There are WEIRD exceptions that have no explanations or "hints" or "tricks." They are just WEIRD exceptions that do NOT go with the "i before e" except after "c" hints or tricks....They are just WEIRD exceptions, like the word "ANCIENT"or  "SPECIES." (Browsed the internet for the word examples..I knew there ARE exceptions, I just couldn't think of any sample words of these exceptions off the top of my head).

There are also WEIRD exceptions, like the words: CAFFEINE, FRIEND, HEIGHT, LEISURE, SEIZE that, also, do NOT follow the "i before e" except after "c."

Though DECEPTIVE, it just may help SOME to remember "i before e" except for "C" when CLUELESS.  Worst case scenario, you do follow the "rule of thumb" and it's (IT IS) one of those WEIRD word exceptions.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

You do so well explaining these things clearly Cyndi !

Were you a teacher ?

Or a mother ?

( I think you would be great with kids ! )

( Let alone illiterate adults )...LOL

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016

Blackwolf said:You do so well explaining these things clearly Cyndi !

Were you a teacher ?

Or a mother ?

( I think you would be great with kids ! )

( Let alone illiterate adults )...LOL

LOL! Thanks for the compliment!  But, truthfully, I've never been neither a mother nor a teacher...but I am, by nature, VERY highly-detailed and, in being so, I LOVE to explain things and share what I know the way I wish ALL teachers would have explained and shared with me on subjects I struggled with, like first and foremost: MATHEMATICS!

I struggle VERY little with Grammar and Language Arts, if at all, but I understand STRUGGLE with other subjects! We all have our strengths and weaknesses: Language Arts is NOT one of my weaknesses, but MATHEMATICS is definitely FIRST on my "Struggle List."

My Office Career launched when serving as a Secretary for a few Day Care and Head Start Centers for several years in my prime.  I was CRAZY about those kids and treated them as I would my own; reading to them was a TREAT for them and a JOY for me, the HIGHLIGHT of my morning!

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14449

Thanks much Lady, it's a lot clearer now. maybe on some level  appostraphies led the way for text speak. I wonder why they were created. maybe for block-print machines to save space

In the i before e saga : apparently - there are 21 times more words which break the rule than those which conform to it - I think 923

thanks again

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016

lepperochan said:Thanks much Lady, it's a lot clearer now. maybe on some level  appostraphies led the way for text speak. I wonder why they were created. maybe for block-print machines to save space

In the i before e saga : apparently - there are 21 times more words which break the rule than those which conform to it - I think 923

Glad to clear things up for you, Lepperochan!  You are VERY welcomed!

Contractions just "save space," like you say. Instead of spelling-out CANNOT, just use CAN'T.....and so forth.  It's just a way of condensing words and saving space....I guess!

I didn't know the FACTS about the "i before e...saga," which you have pointed out. Now, I'm starting to wonder if it shouldn't be referred at all as  "Rule of Thumb" but maybe "Theoretically speaking....." or "In THEORY..." Hmmm!

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016

Giving the “Children’s Storybook Idea” a starting whirl, I remember some have trouble with the following words, which MUST be added to the list:

THERE - Refers to a particular location or direction.
              Place the vase right THERE.
             THERE, in the corner of my room....
             Look over THERE!

THEIR - Referring to people or animals belongings.
             THEIR hairs were blowing with the wind.
              THEIR coats are hanging in the closet

THEY’RE - ONLY USE as a condensed way of the words “THEY ARE”
                 They’re here!!
                 They’re coming home for dinner.

Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018

Look over THERE!

( Zombies ! )

They’re coming home for dinner !

We are their food !

...lol...

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016

Blackwolf said:Look over THERE!

( Zombies ! )

They’re coming home for dinner !

We are their food !

...lol...

PERFECT, Blackwolf!  Very much creative and RIGHT ON POINT....LOL

Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016

TO: (referring to distance or linking words)
         How long does it take to travel from California to Nevada?    
        She was looking for things to do.

TOO: (Referring to ALSO or EXCESSIVE)
           You can come, too!
          She talked TOO much.

TWO: The number 2 (spelled out).

This one was, in part, covered....but writing another Children Storybook idea, provided by DaisyGrace, ran across another use of the word TOO (meaning EXCESSIVE as well as ALSO).

Akhilsonu
Akhil
Lost Thinker
India
Joined 3rd July 2018
Forum Posts: 8

Can anyone explain when to use :
, and ; (use of comma in poetry. Sometimes I really wonder if a comma used in expressive poetry is grammatically correct or not)
' and "
! And !!

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint
Dangerous Mind
South Africa 29awards
Joined 24th July 2012
Forum Posts: 1257

Akhilsonu said:Can anyone explain when to use :
, and ; (use of comma in poetry. Sometimes I really wonder if a comma used in expressive poetry is grammatically correct or not)
' and "
! And !!

With pleasure...

First. (, and)

Is called a Oxford Comma... (Thanks Varti)

a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or’ (e.g. an Italian painter, sculptor, and architect ).

Second : Where (and) is used is, in mid sentence "and" generally the most common use.

Third: Modern writers use (And) to start sentences, it is not technically correct form but has been used for some years now. When starting a sentence we capitalise the first letter to indicate such...
Example.

And today I'm studying maths and sciences. I will be learning geometry, algebra, and trigonometry.

Hope that helps!

P.S. We Use Title Text In Titles
then the And is also capitised.

Akhilsonu
Akhil
Lost Thinker
India
Joined 3rd July 2018
Forum Posts: 8

Thanx 👍

RevolutionAL
Alistair Plint