Go to page:

Profanity In Poetry

poet Anonymous

Cyndi_Moone said:Personally, I'm neither FOR or AGAINST profanity in poetry.  I can understand both, those who are FOR and those who are AGAINST it.  

I meant for this to be a "conversational" forum....to pick up other viewpoints on the subject since I was involved in a heated discussion on the subject and asked to convey my opinion, in which I saw that both sides were neither right or wrong.  It's just personal taste of the reader and left to the poet to create his own work.

DEBATING whether or not profanity in poetry is appropriate/inappropriate would be like being angry with a writer for a "seemingly" horrible ending of a movie script or book.  My co-worker loves surprise endings (even if it means the bad guy wins or the boy doesn't get the girl) and I love happy endings (where the good guy wins and the guy gets the girl).  Personal taste!  

Thank you all for sharing your views...and once again, I repeat, the forum was opened for "conversation," not for open debate or critique of anyone's particular work or style...
If we want to talk of legitimacy of certain terminology in poetry, we need to go back a lot. Starting from the "Decamerone" written by the Italian poet Boccaccio, all of the tobadour poets with their use of words considered "vulgarity" in those years and De Sade, who was thrown in an asylum for mentally disturbed and tortured because of the use of extreme vulgarity and explicit sexual content, today considered extreme. So what shall we do? Like the Inquisition? Torture, burn at the stake or excommunicate poets because of their freedom of expression? Art knows no limits. Everything is art (except as Ahavati said Pedo, violence or abuse) the rest is not acceptable. We live in an era where certain speech is part of the language. Who doesn't like it, is free not to read. That's why we have a warning. De gustibus non dispitandum. We can't question another person's taste.

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

to take out "vulgar " words would be like removing colors .....or sounds....or numbers ....

Angelast1
Dangerous Mind
Mexico 6awards
Joined 30th Apr 2018
Forum Posts: 40

A well placed "fuck" makes for a nice accent. Cussing is cathartic...good way to bleed the lines. I try not to overuse, since it neutralizes impact over time in my opinion...

Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

naughty words do not make a thing worthwhile or not-worthwhile

CartinRose
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 10th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1

I think profanity in poetry can be useful in communicating certain things

poet Anonymous

CartinRose said:I think profanity in poetry can be useful in communicating certain things
With you all the way on this. J

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

I think it’s fuckn needed from time to time just to give shit some greater depth

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Blackwolf
I.M.Blackwolf
Tyrant of Words
13awards
Joined 31st Mar 2018
Forum Posts: 3572

Profanity Inanity Insanity Humanity

What The Fuck Is This Word Calamity

Expectation Of Some Moral Urbanity

Shit We Say With No Need For Explanity

Freedom Bleeds Occasional Vulgarity

DawnRaider
Dr
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 6awards
Joined 10th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 31

It has its place and 'in the heat of the moment' it can be appropriate.

vagabondvibes
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 12th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 11

Sometimes I feel if not used properly it can detract from a poem, however, in a lot of cases I see how using profanity actually gives to the poem. Curse words are words we have created to express true, strong emotions, which emphasizes the tone and mood of a poem a lot of the time. If I see "You know Damn well," rather than "you know its true," as a line in a poem or book, I am going to add more passion/anger/frustration, than I would the second line.
But at the end of the day its all about style and context.

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 932

Profanity is a part of my basic communication, so if it didn't find its way into some of my poetry, that would seem inauthentic. However, I lean on it far more heavily in conversation than I do in the creation of art. It folds well into the casual use of words. If I am attempting to paint a special word portrait (poem), then much more thought will go into the use of words you can't say on the radio.

21Understoods
Strange Creature
Joined 27th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 2

Profanity in poetry...ok picture being a tourist, on an adventure. The locals he bump into are the bitches and niggas chillin, whats all urban and unfamiliar to how you viewing. Is home right on down to the park where young bops be giving up the mouth. Or two blocks, headed south. That old bando, that still had power for a few months after shorty nem moved out. And y'all used to be trappin out. Or the old man legit from Poland, gyros wit a large pop if he know, it's nothing to haggle then. Or them

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 38

Intention is the final terminus of meaning and in that reality all words have the potential to be equally valuable or equally valueless in a poem a word has to be fit for purpose there are no words that are always fit for purpose there are no words that are never fit for purpose.

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

I think poetry is one of the last places word/concept appropriation doesn't really exist. There are few concepts that are beyond the pale, as we know, but beside that the canvas is quite large. Each artist knows who they are, and what is authentic to them in their experience. Myself, using profanity or explicit concepts explicitly is not authentic to me. I said the word 'whore' in one poem (Culinary School Lessons) and that was because it was an actual quote. I will never change a narrative to suit a poem, but I will also never use extreme language for shock value. If I want a reader to pay attention to something with more intention, I am confident in my ability to find words that are true to what needs to be said as well as authentic.  

Go to page:
Go to: