Go to page:

Why write?

saffronamber
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 29th June 2017
Forum Posts: 12

What's your story? Why did you start writing poetry?

I had no idea I would want to poetry at any point. I recall sitting in my bedroom when I was a bit younger practicing guitar and writing bits of lyrics to songs I would practice and never complete. I never had the patience. I thought writing would be a good way to let off steam regarding events that seem to occur in my life more frequently than I'd like them to.

I stopped creative writing and went onto more formal writing - for example helping my friends with their CV's and getting a journalism role with an Indie music magazine based in Sheffield, UK. I would interview unsigned bands and solo artists before they released an EP.

That died out through faults of my own (lack of motivation) and I ended up getting a job blogging for a homeless charity which I found a little boring as the majority of it was statistical and only for marketing purposes.

I then began writing bits and bobs at night time when I felt a little bit down and then tried rhyming them - I bought myself a notepad and start putting things together - before I knew it I produced my first bit of poetry ''I am heroin'' which is a piece about my mothers drug addiction. I am now writing for an exhibition with a piece about womens freedom fighting which is going in a gallery for a private show for artists and I am performing at an art gallery in my hometown on 18th August 2017! I am so nervous.

I showed my work to some people and a publisher has been in touch with me to begin writing a book - that's why I am writing. It's spontaneous and I didn't know I had the talent but apparently - with improvisation[i]
and practice - I am gonna be an author!![/i]

Kivie
Strange Creature
Joined 20th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 3

While talking sometimes words rhyme and that's interesting.
Its better to write poems than a boring paragraph.
I love writing poems

poet Anonymous

I had a nervous breakdown and couldn’t leave the house for 9 months. When I picked up a pen one day, I just didn’t put it down again. Writing helped me feel something. Something, instead of nothing at all.

I’ve never stopped feeling since. It’s amplified.

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

I'm one of those lucky humans...being born bipolar and then discovering Leonard Cohen's "Flowers for Hitler" when I was 14 years old was the defining moment in my life. So thanks Leonard...I see the future and it is murder.
Cheers...Harry

badmalthus
Harry Rout
Dangerous Mind
19awards
Joined 3rd May 2014
Forum Posts: 433

A picture paints a thousand words...but a poem paints a thousand pictures...I think so anyway.

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

I used to participate on mothering forums and I had one. Also was active on theology boards.

But I purposefully turned my back on that all to be more attentive to my family. But without the usual writing outlet suddenly poetry started flowing out. My 8th baby was tiny then. The birth of Lisa Rose may have inspired or at least contributed to a flood of poetry.

Further fueling my drive was a desire to leave a written legacy of inspiration for my children. Something to keep the compass pointing the way and landmarks for reminding where they came from.

Somehow everything from animations to science articles started speaking poetically to me. So I started writing on diverse topics. Over a year later suddenly I have a hundred poems. I'm 36 but somehow didn't envision this happening.

Me, a poet? Interesting development.

I'd like it to pay in book sales, so as to make the greatest use of the time spent. I hope I'm right about the appeal of my work and I want my daughters to see that a modern married housewife with many  children can also be a feminist, a creative, and a respected author... even contributing to the household finances from home. I'm hanging a lot on it, I know.

Timeternal
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 24th Feb 2018
Forum Posts: 22

I consider writing to be the expression of something deep inside all of us, something that connects us all. I always remember something Mr. King said when ppl asked him where he got his ideas. I'll make it my own cuz I don't remember his exact words, all stories are already written, the   storytellers are just able to access this special timeless space where these tales reside. Collective unconscious? That indescribable place where the supreme positive resides? Or just the Morphic Resonance of all the artists over time..  I always feel like I'm a part of something far older than myself when I write and obviously, writing is an excellent way to express deep and complicated emotions. I also have to say, for me personally, I absolutely love the rhymes. We all have to find ways to express what's in our souls...

eleven_mashariki
Twisted Dreamer
1awards
Joined 24th Feb 2018
Forum Posts: 8

quite inspiring. what poems do you enjoy making most?

Timeternal
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 24th Feb 2018

I guess I'd say stories? The way I write I feel is very different from the norm... It's hard for ppl to get and I get a lot of critique when I know I have a brilliant and unique style... I can't explain it... My poems usually have around 8-15 thousand words... I can't help it. It just comes out. I love rhymes to, rhyming poetry rocks. What kinds of stuff do you like to write?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Timeternal
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 24th Feb 2018

Mr Eros... I couldn't have said it better.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Cyndi_Moone
Thought Provoker
United States 3awards
Joined 13th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 180

There was a Grammar School "Oratory Competition," (for students of Grades 4-8), where participants were required to memorize and recite a poem in front of judges and other participants (Round 1)....A winner was selected for each Grade-Level and moved up to Round 2:  Winning your School Competition (compete against all winning participants Grades 4-8)....ONE school winner was appointed School Oratory Representative and moved up to Round 3:  Winning the District Competition (compete against ALL School Competition winners in the district).  That ONE winner would move-up to  Round 4:  Winning the State-Wide Oratory Competition.  

I developed an interest in poetry when I joined this competition in 4th Grade.  I, first, performed "That Bad Boy," by Ruth Everding Libbey.  I only got as far as winning Round 1.  In 5th grade, I performed, "What's In The Sack," by Shel Silverstein.  I got as far as winning Round 1& 2, earning myself 2nd place - and Runner-Up- in Round 3.  In 6th Grade, I performed, "The Zombie," and got as far as winning Round 1 & 2.  In 8th Grade, I performed, "Sick," by Shel Silverstein and got as far as Round 1 & 2.  So, my interest in poetry quickly developed as I was called to perform for School Special Events, like Parent's Day, Teacher's Day, and when random teachers from all different Grade School levels would request for me to perform for their classes (no competition...just plain entertainment).  

It was in 4th Grade that I began to experiment and introduce myself to writing my own poetry, based on imaginations and channeling my feelings through poetry.  I'd experiment with MUSIC lyrics filtrated through my pleasing ear and romantic movie scenes I could ONLY dream about....and let the imagination take control.  At home, EVERY MOVE I made was DICTATED under "The Iron Fist" (my dad).  I was NOT allowed to voice my opinions, objections, explanations, reasons....NO QUESTIONS ASKED!  So, I resorted to poetry to "vent" my "bottled-up" emotions, "steam-off" my objections, explain my "reasons," and even "CHANGE the situation MY way," even if NO ONE heard me, it was emotionally-relieving ENOUGH just to SAY IT ON PAPER!

Nowadays, I still channel my feelings on paper through poetry.  I still hold those "conversations" never uttered through poetry.  I still vent, explain, steam-off, make my objections through poetry.  Whatever I do NOT dare say out loud, I channel through poetry.  

I truly do not mean any offense to any fellow DUP poet nor their style of writing when I confess that sometimes, when my feelings OVERFLOW with OVERPOWERING negative emotions and my mind is running 5,000mph in ALL that I have to say and I have bottled a million "F**k you's" toward someone at the moment, poetry helps me "calm down" or "tone myself down."  It allows me to organize my thoughts and filter out the "F**k you's" into a "maturely-worded" presentation.  

For example, "Mother's Silence," (written for the "Mother" DUP Competition), began ANGRY and ACCUSATORY....I stopped mid-way, DELETED, and decided NOT to join the Comp after all!  But, the Comp was "easy enough subject" and I wanted to join so I re-started and put myself, instead, in my MOTHER'S SHOES and NOT MY OWN....and began to write MY thoughts/feelings and weave them with my perception of HER perspective....and it was NO LONGER "ANGRY and ACCUSATORY," but a heartfelt, sentimental piece of past-reflection and present-discovery.  The "F**k you's for DOING NOTHING WHILE WE ALL SUFFERED AND YOU COULD'VE DONE SOMETHING" became a "I realized you were just as helpless as I.." discovery.  She's my mother (R.I.P.)  I would NEVER dare tell her "F***k you" to her face regardless how angry or "fired-up" I'd be.  But, I WOULD dare present to her this "maturely-worded" conversational poetry-piece.

Poetry helps me bring everything to perspective, well-organize my thoughts, and present "my case" or "my side" or "my objections" or "my reasoning" or "my logic" or "my understanding" or "my over-rulings" in a non-violent/non-threatening mature-manner (or professional manner) that is good enough to express myself to "my offender" without stooping down to their level.  I DO confess I DO sometimes have "F**k you's" with "the offender's name" ALL over them, but it is only when I am capable of "cooling off" and composing MYSELF together that I can actually sit and compose my thought-out poetry.

Dragon162
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 28th Feb 2018
Forum Posts: 2

I never used to write poetry until a few years ago when I was going through something extremely traumatic in which I became very mentally unwell. I have wrote more poetry in the last year though it feels natural to me sometimes. I sometimes write about my feelings and emotions but it can be about other things aswell. I sometimes look at my poetry and think did I actually write that because sometiems find it hard to believe I have skills. But I have shown things like my poems to my sister and a couple of other people, I have also posted on other poetry sites. I feel being creative is just part of who I am. I also like being creative in other ways started writing a story a few months ago its 7000 words so far

Dragon162
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 28th Feb 2018
Forum Posts: 2

hi ya Cindi Moon nice to meet you. It is good to channel your emotions and feelings into poetry and words. sometimes there are no other ways to express things.
When your going through difficult things sometimes you cant even explain how your feeling I know I cant
but when I write a poem sometimes I can in a way express that
how long have you been using this site?
i only just joined the other day

Go to page:
Go to: