DUP Published Authors

Josh
Josh
Tyrant of Words
Portugal
30awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 405

Ahavati said:Thank you, Josh.  It was an honor to read and review your book.  I'm happy it helped.

I really appreciate you encouraging writers who may feel their older works contain no merit.  Hopefully they will read this and decide to revisit with fresh eyes as you did.  

I love seeing where writers come from and how much they've evolved. It simply means they're writers!  📝❤

Sometimes it needs another person to see merit in older work because the writer 'has had too long a journey' with it and needs some mediated distance. Thank you again.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
77awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3804

Josh said:

Sometimes it needs another person to see merit in older work because the writer 'has had too long a journey' with it and needs some mediated distance. Thank you again.

Very true, Josh. We are our own worst critic at times.  Goodness knows how much poetry has fallen through the cracks into the underworld because of it! Thank you again.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Stay tuned!  We have a new book hitting the shelf from a DU Legend!

poet Anonymous

I haven't quite "caught up" to this thread (been in Thailand for a few weeks, returned just last week.  For authors who may not have known, the following sites offer FREE book promotion (no strings).
awesomegang.com (all genres) and pretty-hot.com (erotica).  The individual sites will provide the particulars.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

BobbyEdwards said:I haven't quite "caught up" to this thread (been in Thailand for a few weeks, returned just last week.  For authors who may not have known, the following sites offer FREE book promotion (no strings).
awesomegang.com (all genres) and pretty-hot.com (erotica).  The individual sites will provide the particulars.

Nice to know, Bobby. Thanks for sharing.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Death and the Lady’chylde
Dan Kozak
Lulu Press
ISBN: 978-0-359-91056-4

In Kozak’s debut book, the reader experiences a process of pain by a father who lost a daughter to kidney and liver disease brought on by alcoholism.  We become so much more than an observer through his poetic experience — but a party to his pain, as well as the loss and induction to a club no parent wishes to belong.  From the very beginning, through Kozak’s surprise discovery of his daughter, Leah’s, hospitalization, to her passing and 15 months beyond, one is gripped with a sense of compassion coupled with a lack of words that could ever hope to adequately assuage such a depth of suffering.

One gathers early in the book that the diagnosis and hospitalization are both surprises to Kozak, and many poems that follow the initial loss suggest that his daughter’s alcoholism was hidden from the family until it was too late.  

My dear chylde 
                        lay 
                        in hospital 
many days           now,          trying, (at age 31), 

( from “Leah Marie” )

The first few pages reflect Kozak’s desperate struggle to overcome travel challenges between his home in Florida to his daughter’s in Kansas.  In the midst of attempting to accept the unthinkable, the question for Kozak becomes “How did I not know this?” The despair to reach his daughter’s side is palpable, and accelerates when he discovers the horrifying news, among all else, that nothing more can be done, and she has been transferred to a local Hospice:

[. . .]
old man oldman          your                         girl'chylde   
                                                            lays a-dying    girl child   
                                                                    is dying   
                                                                        dying,       & all you   
                                         have to say is   
                                "this cannot be.   this cannot be.     

this cannot be   
( from “Hospice (and beyond)”)

Kozak’s denial is haunting and becomes an emotional autobiographical,  touching the heart of every parent in respect to their own children’s mortality.  He reminds us of how parents are frequently troubled by unfinished business over the loss of a child:  Including regrets, desiring forgiveness, and a fear that there was something, some superhuman parental power they could have evoked, or action they could have done to prevent such a tragic loss. Above all, parents yearn to know that their children’s lives had meaning and purpose. And while some solace may be found in daily routines and activities — such as faith, hobbies, the advancement of some area of art such as music and poetry, there will, nonetheless, always be an urgency of regret rising as a daily reminder, as a parent surely there was more that could have been done — even though there was nothing that could be done at the point of discovery:

flew fly fling high cry cry 
      c r y   crying  cr'eye eye 
     dripping drops 

to Kansas City         to see her 
[. . .]
                                           the last time................ 

She died            an hour before        eye landed 

( “Kansas City Funerary (Leah Marie, 1987-2018)” )

Life has an uncanny way of twisting a person’s reality instantaneously, as a knife in the heart unwilling to be pulled out.  For Kozak it becomes a bane that disallows healing, and worn unjustly as a scarlet A, depicting a mistake he never made:    

Father               should        have    been    more 
              with                 you         [ other than the 
                                                             fckn phone.] 

( “You Should Have Been There” )

His long destination to healing continues even today through the support of his family, friends, and poetry.   Kozak’s Death and the Lady’chylde covers much I haven’t touched on that does not include death from aging, or the typical stories of Medicare, assisted suicide, and last rites.  But, rather, a healing process through words, and the will to continue to keep his Leah’s memory alive.  It is simply, and yet not so simply, the story of a father grieving the loss of his daughter through the only avenue he finds available to keep her memory alive: Poetry.  

And remember her we will.

Not A Poem, Nor a Poom

Leah Marie Kozak 

April 30, 1987 - July 4, 2018 

Rest In Peace my beloved Child 

Love, Dad 

Death and the Lady’chylde is dedicated to all parents who have or are struggling with their children's addiction, be it alcoholism or drugs, in hopes that somehow, this painful journey will help another along the way should they experience the same horrifying reality.  Or, perhaps, even alter their course of a reality through awareness.  

I highly recommend it not only as a parent, but as a human with a desire to understand suffering, and make a difference in the lives of those experiencing something I thankfully have not.

http://lulu.com/spotlight/DeathandtheLadychylde

Brando
Brando
Brandon Hursell
Thought Provoker
United States
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 275

Ahavati said:Death and the Lady’chylde
Dan Kozak
Lulu Press

In Kozak’s debut book, the reader experiences a process of pain by a father who lost a daughter to kidney and liver disease brought on by alcoholism.  We become so much more than an observer through his poetic experience — but a party to his pain, as well as the loss and induction to a club no parent wishes to belong.  From the very beginning, through Kozak’s surprise discovery of his daughter, Leah’s, hospitalization, to her passing and 15 months beyond, one is gripped with a sense of compassion coupled with a lack of words that could ever hope to adequately assuage such a depth of suffering.

One gathers early in the book that the diagnosis and hospitalization are both surprises to Kozak, and many poems that follow the initial loss suggest that his daughter’s alcoholism was hidden from the family until it was too late.  

My dear chylde 
                        lay 
                        in hospital 
many days           now,          trying, (at age 31), 

( from “Leah Marie” )

The first few pages reflect Kozak’s desperate struggle to overcome travel challenges between his home in Florida to his daughter’s in Kansas.  In the midst of attempting to accept the unthinkable, the question for Kozak becomes “How did I not know this?” The despair to reach his daughter’s side is palpable, and accelerates when he discovers the horrifying news, among all else, that nothing more can be done, and she has been transferred to a local Hospice:

[. . .]
old man oldman          your                         girl'chylde   
                                                            lays a-dying    girl child   
                                                                    is dying   
                                                                        dying,       & all you   
                                         have to say is   
                                "this cannot be.   this cannot be.     

this cannot be   
( from “Hospice (and beyond)”)

Kozak’s denial is haunting and becomes an emotional autobiographical,  touching the heart of every parent in respect to their own children’s mortality.  He reminds us of how parents are frequently troubled by unfinished business over the loss of a child:  Including regrets, desiring forgiveness, and a fear that there was something, some superhuman parental power they could have evoked, or action they could have done to prevent such a tragic loss. Above all, parents yearn to know that their children’s lives had meaning and purpose. And while some solace may be found in daily routines and activities — such as faith, hobbies, the advancement of some area of art such as music and poetry, there will, nonetheless, always be an urgency of regret rising as a daily reminder, as a parent surely there was more that could have been done — even though there was nothing that could be done at the point of discovery:

flew fly fling high cry cry 
      c r y   crying  cr'eye eye 
     dripping drops 

to Kansas City         to see her 
[. . .]
                                           the last time................ 

She died            an hour before        eye landed 

( “Kansas City Funerary (Leah Marie, 1987-2018)” )

Life has an uncanny way of twisting a person’s reality instantaneously, as a knife in the heart unwilling to be pulled out.  For Kozak it becomes a bane that disallows healing, and worn unjustly as a scarlet A, depicting a mistake he never made:    

Father               should        have    been    more 
              with                 you         [ other than the 
                                                             fckn phone.] 

( “You Should Have Been There” )

His long destination to healing continues even today through the support of his family, friends, and poetry.   Kozak’s Death and the Lady’chylde covers much I haven’t touched on that does not include death from aging, or the typical stories of Medicare, assisted suicide, and last rites.  But, rather, a healing process through words, and the will to continue to keep his Leah’s memory alive.  It is simply, and yet not so simply, the story of a father grieving the loss of his daughter through the only avenue he finds available to keep her memory alive: Poetry.  

And remember her we will.

Not A Poem, Nor a Poom

Leah Marie Kozak 

April 30, 1987 - July 4, 2018 

Rest In Peace my beloved Child 

Love, Dad 

Death and the Lady’chylde is dedicated to all parents who have or are struggling with their children's addiction, be it alcoholism or drugs, in hopes that somehow, this painful journey will help another along the way should they experience the same horrifying reality.  Or, perhaps, even alter their course of a reality through awareness.  

I highly recommend it not only as a parent, but as a human with a desire to understand suffering, and make a difference in the lives of those experiencing something I thankfully have not.

Ordered. Thanks!

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
16awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1547

Brando said:

Ordered. Thanks!

Splendid, Brando.

Death and the Lady’chylde
Dan Kozak
Lulu Press

Such a comprehensive review posted by Ahavati, giving the gut wrenching low down on Kozak's introduction to the world of brick n mortar publishing  ( made a reality through her efforts ). I struggle to complement it with additional observations.

I will say that this book is a testament to Kozak's ability as a writer as much as it is a monument erected to his daughter, Leah. He may have been emotionally obliterated during the penning of each poem, but ... that  playful, unique style of his is maintained rock solid throughout.

It never devolves into the woe-is-me emo'ting we are accustomed to in Internet forums. You know what I am reffering to - the meandering, incoherent scribblings of someone undergoing the world's oldest form of ( free ) therapy.

In this respect, Kozak excels in giving readers innovative poetry unlike they have ever experienced before rather than succumbing to pain from loss and embarking on a directionless venting in frustration at the Universe. He stays on message. And whether he admits to it or not, that message is that he continues to be a father to Leah.  

We don't stop talking to our loved ones when they aren't in the same room with us. Or on the same plane of existence. We continue to communicate with them.

While Death and the Lady’chylde may seem like a one way conversation populated with regrets and self loathing - Leah, wherever she is, is surely not only pleased with his commitment to providing us with leading-edge poetry, but is also telling her "Dada" how proud of him she is in between the lines and stanza ...

and how much she loves him back.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Thank you, Brando and Johnny, for your purchases, and Johnny for your review.  I look forward to hearing yours Brando!

I have updated the DU author's directory on page 1 of this thread to include this publication. Thank you to those members of DU supporting this effort.

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States
31awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Dec 2011
Forum Posts: 131

& thanka to you, Mr. Brando

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 10th Dec 2011

No----Thank YOU, again and again, Ms. Aha

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 10th Dec 2011

Am so grateful to ms Ahavati & JBlaze for doing this for me & LEAH.  I could noway have done it in advance.
It's damn hard to read "my own stuff" in this book without breaking down.
It's not an "easy read", but it is spontaneous and truly sincere.  It's one of those topics we're so prone to look the other way on, as it is an "irrational" embarrassment to the parent,reguarding the unspoken "judgement" that the parent may imagine others having re: their "parenting".... and too touchy for the outsider to tolerate the discomfort of facing.

My battered heart deeply appreciates, in advance, to any of you who purchase it.
And endless gratitude to Ahavati &Poetic Medics.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

dkzksaxxas_DanielX said:Am so grateful to ms Ahavati & JBlaze for doing this for me & LEAH.  I could noway have done it in advance.
It's damn hard to read "my own stuff" in this book without breaking down.
It's not an "easy read", but it is spontaneous and truly sincere.  It's one of those topics we're so prone to look the other way on, as it is an "irrational" embarrassment to the parent, regarding the unspoken "judgement" that the parent may imagine others having re: their "parenting".... and too touchy for the outsider to tolerate the discomfort of facing.

My battered heart deeply appreciates, in advance, to any of you who purchase it.
And endless gratitude to Ahavati &Poetic Medics.

Danny it was an honor to work with you on this project.  I can only imagine how difficult it was for you, and what a blessing it may be to other parents suffering the same fate.  

Just to clarify, while we ( Poetic Medics ) did assist Danny in publishing, we do not receive any of the profits from sales ( nor any other charge ).  100% is mailed directly to Danny.  Nor do we own the copyright to his book unless, God forbid, something dire happens to him.   At which time it will transfer to us to ensure its integrity and marketing; however,  the profits at that time will be kept in trust for his granddaughter by his son.  

It was a shame I had to even clarify that; however, apparently a jealous busy-body inferred to a member who happens to be our friend that they thought it sad we were profiting from Danny's grief.  And because of that they would not be purchasing a copy.

To that person I say this:  Stop acting like an asshole who doesn't know what you're talking about. You just got shamed ( as you should've been ). Learn to get the facts and focus more on supporting your fellow DU members and their efforts through what we are ALL supposed to be here for: POETRY.

There are some good people in this world who just want to help their friends without anything other than the satisfaction of serving as a reward.  Try it sometimes.  It will make you a better person.

To those who have and are supporting Danny with their purchases, thank you. I deeply apologize for this senseless yet necessary drama in case such unfounded 'gossip' was affecting sales of Danny's book.

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 10th Dec 2011

Well' There's gotta be one in every crowd.  Blessings on ye, whomever you are. (I don't want to know"who")

dkzksaxxas_DanielX
dkzksaxxas_DanielX
DadaDoggyDannyKozakSaxfn
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 10th Dec 2011

Thank you, Sir Blaze.

Go to page:
Go to: