poet
BobbyEdwards
Skeets
Twisted Dreamer
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 23rd June 2019
Forum Posts: 24

Sincere congrats to ALL of the talented, published writers!  The more poetry, the better the world can be...

poet
JohnnyBlaze
Dangerous Mind
United States
9awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1274

Ahavati said:Sid & Mary (Opal)
A Journey into the wasteland

Terry Smith
Soapbox Monkey Press, 2019
ISBN: 9781092636742

Straight out of the gate this book grabs your attention with an ominous overshadow referencing the book of Revelations:  Revelation 6:2-8:

Through umbilical breath
she rode the pale horse
delivered into the wasteland
& death followed
like a shadow

(“Opal”)

Okay, so what did I just read in its entirety?

• Darkness of being: Trapped in a cage/made of marrow/a cemetery of
      souls. . .
(“Forgotten to smile”)
   • Experience: The only thing/I learned in church/was the definition/of
      the word/hypocrite
(“Concrete and Steel”)
   • Existence: I lit a match/in the darkness/to illuminate/the way/[. .
      .]/even the exquisite/pain as the match/burnt down/[. . .]/could not wash my
      eyes clean
(“Striking Sulfur”)
    • Recovery: I only go there for the donuts/the chairs are hard and
      cold/[. . .]/the violinist on my left/a first chair of sadness
(“Musical Chairs”)
   • Survival:   Just enough money/to buy a pack of smokes/[. . .]/& some
      new clothes/from the goodwill
(“An american slumdog millionaire”).
    • Love : Her lips/ Were like an apple/ in the garden of Eden (“Her
      lips”)
    • Death: You died/two days/before your birthday/[. . .] (“Cemetery
      in my lungs")

This book is all of that and more, e.g. - self-harm, addiction, etc.  It is one of those books that drags you in on a personal level.  We’ve all experienced ( or will ) our dark soul of the night. If you can’t relate to that, then you’ll relate to feeling lost. Or abuse of some sorts. Or, unrequited love.  Or surviving a circumstance or situation when you’re down on your luck and there’s nowhere else to go but up. For me, this was one of those books.

At only 52 pages, the title speaks the truth: outlining a young couple living a life of sex, drugs, and rock & roll in the wasteland, and is dedicated to “All those souls whose voice is never heard.”  I was immediately transported back to the era of “Make Love Not War” when hippies were considered dirty, lazy, and voiceless – falling through the cracks of society.

Though I feel as though some pieces are missing ( and perhaps it is best they are ), it is very well-written poetry and will not disappoint you.  

Footnote:
Terry Smith is currently battling stage three esophageal cancer. The purchase of his books and/or any donation to his gofundme page will greatly assist him with medical expenses.

https://www.gofundme.com/cancer-treatment-and-surgery-costs

A sharp and concise review if there ever was one. 📝❤

poet
SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3105

Thank you again Ahavati...you easily could be a professional reviewer .....I hope that when others read the books that they get even half of what you did. I am humbled by your kindness ...taking the time to read and review my books and to promote my go fund me page it is greatly appreciated.... these poems are about a slice of time in my youth before I found the handle of self control ....there are times even now when the perspiration covers my hands that I lose grip...but that is part of recovery....you are always in the state of recovery.Terry

poet
SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
Joined 19th Nov 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

I wish to thank you Johnny for re-posting Ahavati's reviews ...she does an outstanding job hitting the mark , and is deserving of much credit for taking the time and putting in the effort. It is greatly appreciated.I hope at some point that I may be able to return the favor, May the two of you be blessed for all that you have done for me, again....Thank you . Terry  

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 2676

JohnnyBlaze said:

📝❤

SatansSperm said:Thank you again Ahavati...you easily could be a professional reviewer .....I hope that when others read the books that they get even half of what you did. I am humbled by your kindness ...taking the time to read and review my books and to promote my go fund me page it is greatly appreciated.... these poems are about a slice of time in my youth before I found the handle of self control ....there are times even now when the perspiration covers my hands that I lose grip...but that is part of recovery....you are always in the state of recovery.Terry

You're very welcome, Terry.  The books were enjoyable reads and worth the purchase. Believing the best and full recovery for you.

poet
SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
Joined 19th Nov 2015

Ahavati said:

You're very welcome, Terry.  The books were enjoyable reads and worth the purchase. Believing the best and full recovery for you.

Thank you Ahavati ...I had started a book about my days as a Chef before this recent turn of events...now I am working on this trip into a new kind of darkness ...hoping my words will help others who find themselves on the same journey and to help their loved ones to understand what it is they are going through . Whatever light there may be in the darkness, grab a hold of it and don't let go...and I have a beacon of light in my life that I am proud to call my wife. Terry

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

SatansSperm said:

Thank you Ahavati ...I had started a book about my days as a Chef before this recent turn of events...now I am working on this trip into a new kind of darkness ...hoping my words will help others who find themselves on the same journey and to help their loved ones to understand what it is they are going through . Whatever light there may be in the darkness, grab a hold of it and don't let go...and I have a beacon of light in my life that I am proud to call my wife. Terry

It's wonderful you have someone, Terry.  Many do not. Looking forward to your next book - hopefully the ending will be you walking out of that dark tunnel and into the light.

poet
crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States
89awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 1948

I've decided to self publish just to get my name out there
I will let all of you know when my book is out 😊

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

What platform, or self-publisher have you chosen to use, and why, Crim?  It might help others decide.

poet
crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States
89awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 1948

Ahavati said:What platform, or self-publisher have you chosen to use, and why, Crim?  It might help others decide.

the publishing house is Ingram publishing I talked with one of their agents extensively about what they offered... the main thing I hope to do is get my name out there in the literary world...she said many of the self-publishers they've worked with have been picked up by the big publishing houses...

they sound professional and have a great rating with the better business bureau...I think this just might be best for me I'll keep all of you updated as it progresses...

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I hadn't heard of Ingram. Here's a pretty good article on some of the best self-publishers for those considering.

https://www.adazing.com/best-self-publishing-companies/

Edit: Okay, Ingramspark. Got it. Yes; it's listed on the guide for First-time authors:

https://www.editage.com/book-editing-services/articles/top-10-self-publishing-companies-a-2018-guide-for-first-time-authors.html

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Brando said:I have three self-published books that are available on Amazon.

Hardware After Hours (ISBN-13: 978-1478380801)
Treachery (ISBN-13: 978-1722381394)
Trade and Dishonesty (ISBN-13: 978-1722239282)

Lookie what arrived! Next up!

Jade-Pandora said:https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/shooting-star-jade-pandora/1105798323

(Shooting Star - Barnes and Noble Nook Book)

http://www.lulu.com/shop/jade-pandora/shooting-star/paperback/product-14301381.html

(Shooting Star - Lulu)

They said it could be 10 days, Jade.

poet
Brando
Brandon Hursell
Lost Thinker
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Nov 2018
Forum Posts: 18

Thank you so much, Ahavati! I hope you enjoy it!! Let me know what you think.

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Brando said:Thank you so much, Ahavati! I hope you enjoy it!! Let me know what you think.

I'm about half way through now, Brando.  Kind of been a busy weekend but hope to finish it by tomorrow and post a review next week.  📝🍷

poet
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Look-see what arrived today!

Brando, yours was kick ass.  I am working on a review. 📝📕 Sorry it's taking a bit, holiday, life, and all that.  

Go to page:
Go to: