Go to page:

Music as Inspiration

Jack_C
Twisted Dreamer
Canada
Joined 26th Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 30

Hello all,

When you write poetry, what do you have playing in the background/your headphones?

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

most of the time nothing or i cant head the words in my head

Viddax
Lord Viddax
Guardian of Shadows
United Kingdom 31awards
Joined 10th Oct 2009
Forum Posts: 6699

An ever expanding list of songs to enable me to ride the windlike whispers to cast words and sentences like spells, when I am in the flow then the music almost fades into a trance like background sound. I need the music of this sphere to breathe life against the void.

whispellc20
THE LEGEND
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 25th Mar 2016
Forum Posts: 4

I usually write while listening to music. Some of it is my own beats that I mix since I do rap battles. But I could say that musically, it can range from gangsta rap, to jazz fusion, to heavy metal, and some classic rock, I also listen to blues...the older stuff, Charley Patton, Blind Willie McTell, Big Joe Williams to name a few. I love Miles Davis...enjoy listening to Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew either back to back or simultaneously. Rappers I've been listening to a lot lately are Mobb Deep (who I'm going to see in concert near where I live), 50 Cent, early Dre, his evolution and revolution in the music business, Eminem...listen to Bob Dylan and because of him and his knowledge of music (which is encyclopedic) that led me to seek out other artists. Huge fan of Rammstein...they ooze a lot of sexual energy and raw power that can only be created by complete immersion into their chosen artistry. I could keep going but this is what my flow is for now...

Comrade
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 3rd June 2014
Forum Posts: 16

I usually listen to songs filled with pure emotions. It all depends what I'm aiming. I've always been a slow writer though. I really like writing to Grieves.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c42_5xpgd0o

crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States 121awards
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2642

depends on my mood the music I listen to and poetry I write reflect that..

lovefromluna
Lost Thinker
Belgium 1awards
Joined 26th Oct 2016
Forum Posts: 10

Mostly I listen to rap music when I'm writing in forms because the flow and the rhythm helps me stay on point. Bit of Wu Tang, lil bit of Eminem or Snoop Dogg. By contrast, when I'm trying to write open forms I will listen to something classical and instrumental, like Tchaikovsky :)

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Durdinah
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 12th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 3

Ordinarily I do not have anything playing but when I do begin writing it usually has to be some very slow, lilting classical or very down tuned experimental, electronic music.

tmoj
Twisted Dreamer
United States 1awards
Joined 2nd Nov 2016
Forum Posts: 57

Sometimes I'll listen to music that has a subject in harmony with what I'm trying to write about

Drewcofer
Strange Creature
Joined 12th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 1

I feel that

Peregrine
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 31st Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 3

I avoid rap when I write rap so as not to get it jumbled, but I do listen to a lot of softer rock -- folk punk and indie.

Rainy_Berry
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 15th Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 7

Same for me

tina7
Strange Creature
Canada
Joined 20th Jan 2017
Forum Posts: 1

I listen to nature channels most the time. Birds and water mostly