Go to page:

Poetic Influences

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16187

My first inspiration was of a yellow butterfly.  Funny that. After that there was the Bible. I simply loved The Psalms. And then there was Shakespeare in School and later poets like Wordsworth etc. Our mission school's main language of communication was English therefore we had English literature in School where I developed a love for the language. Needless to say I fell in love with poetry. I believe I have been influenced by what I read in many ways although I would like to think that I don't copy them.
My inspiration comes from happenings around me and to me. Beautiful landscapes, flowers...even dreams. People, friends...a word spoken.

MsRockyJackson
Dangerous Mind
United States 8awards
Joined 1st July 2014
Forum Posts: 318

For me it was Maya Angelou and Edgar Allan Poe,
Also Eminem, Tupac, and Michael Jackson ( yes they wrote poems too ).
They all inspired me to write and I started to write at the age of ten as I was going through a deep depression and felt like no one wanted to listen to me since I'm a quiet person so I turned to poetry as a way of voicing myself.
I don't imitate too many of my favorite poets but I guess the ones I try to when writing is Maya Angelou & Edgar Allan Poe since they both have very distinct and original writings.
I love poetry that's deep and inspirational, something with meaning to it and I believe that's how poetry should be.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

Ok you guys wanna name drop lets go. Ok there is Phil Jupitas, Stephen Fry, Alan Davies, Douglas Addams, Terry Pratchett, Jim Davis, Zapiro, Eddie Izzard, Johnny Depp, Leonardo Di Caprio, Mr Spielberg, Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King and that is just a partial list of names that have influenced me. Oh and lets not forget Quentin Tarantino. I was not being entirely honest poetry is more of a hobby it keeps my mind busy. My lady love will always be film guys. Sure poems are very interesting to read but for me there is no comparison between the two. For all the real poets my hat goes off to you but maybe it will become more but maybe it will beome more valuable in time.  

Kexby
john rickell
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 16th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 115

Influence is all around us,waiting to be quoted.

Kexby
john rickell
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 16th Nov 2011
Forum Posts: 115

My favourite style in poetry is my own.

_Bo_
OutsideIn
Strange Creature
United States 1awards
Joined 9th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 4

Great to see the various inspirational sources of others...it can open our minds to new ideas. I'm certainly still discovering what I like, but found my earliest inspiration in John Keats and John Donne.

Go to page:
Go to: