Poetic Influences

Handcuffs
et al
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 11

I was curious about the questions below:

What poets have influenced your writing?
Which poets, if any, do you imitate in your poetry?
What are your favorite styles?

Hepcat61
geoff cat
Dangerous Mind
United States 33awards
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1028

Ok... I am influenced by so many... I learned to play guitar playing the songs of Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and the Beatles - there are some poets for you... so I started writing poems as lyrics... Then Whitman, and Thomas and William Shakespeare... Sonnet 121 is my launching point into standalone poetry... The Elizabethan Sonnet is still my preferred form... 140 syllables to say something... Maintaining the structure

Handcuffs
et al
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 11

Thank you.  You are right about songwriters as poets.  Haven't they always been?  I was moved by Pablo Neruda and Heaney.  I first read Heaney's translation of Beowulf and i was captured.  A friend introduced to Neruda, and i started writing poetry.  That was roughly 2 years ago, so i'm very green at this.  

I am currently taking a lit theory class, and this is keeping me busy.  Frigging theory is driving my head into a wall sometimes.  Almost like a philosophy class.   LOL

Lxwrence75
Strange Creature
United Kingdom
Joined 26th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 6

The three main artists that influenced me was sulli breaks, Phora and machine gun Kelly. Even though Kells aint really a poet he just has this way or making one of his songs seem like its a poem because of the range of styles he uses throughout his music.

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

Everything ... JayZ in my car ... Eminem on my iPad ... Writers here who make me want to steal their ink (if I've added it to my RL then yeah that's my testament to you) ... Pulitzer Prize winner Charles Simic "The Lunatic" ... Dickinson ... Hughes ... the music of Coltrane and Lady Day ... Jack Daniels ... Pappy Van Winkle ... weed ... sex ... Harlem ... Life

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015
Forum Posts: 2047

Right there with you on Eminem and Coltrane Lobo...Shel Silverstein...l Cohen...Tom Robbins (huge and fav) Anais Nin..Dickinson....Iris Dement..Jolie Holliday...and great erotic photography and art period...will often write pieces off an image I see, Poe...it goes on and on...Hank Williams..lol the Cure...going in May to see them!! And the Stones..rock period..bluegrass and the mutha fun gin blues....
And actually..I would have to say.. I get very inspired by historical documentary..religion and science...
Styrophome cups of vodka...and alas...going without cups of vodka...lol

_shadoe_
yiyi
Tyrant of Words
54awards
Joined 25th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 577

ingrid jonker & innokenty annensky [in a very roundabout kinda way]
mostly inspired by art, music, religion & [like ginnykins] vodka, so much good vodka & craptacular relationships

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

I found the lyrics of Phil Lynot to be very poetic and have tried on occasion to write similar. its not just a matter of how he worded stuff, I felt his thoughts, philosophies and to some extent his struggles were very similar to mine so it was easy to make a connection to his verses

Shane Mc Gowan from the Pouges, exceptional wordsmithary

Bob Marley, again his philosophies strengthened the connection and in fairness his accent and vernacular made his verses that bit better

poets, I like John Berryman Anne Sexton and Yeats but I have never tried to emulate them in my writings, not consciously like the lyricists at the top of my post

calamitygin
Jennifer Michael McCurry
Tyrant of Words
United States 28awards
Joined 22nd June 2015
Forum Posts: 2047

Yes! Lep and Kitten..
Bob Marley and craptacular relatiinships...neither should be overlooked..
And...GOD!

Word up

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

the crackle of electricity between the synapses in my brain....and everything i have absorbed from birth

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Hi there, Ed.  Here are my answers to your questions which I hope can do justice:

What comes to mind before anything else, is music. I would like to be more specific but I've often been moved to write while listening to very unusual styles that have no explanations, except "world" and "exotic", often from everywhere but where I live.  

As for poets, Shakespeare "shook" me once I was able to understand "how" to read him. Then someone sent me a book by Sonya Sanchez once I began my studies of Eastern forms.  It was my first volume of poetry. The Japanese "masters" (such as Basho, Issa, etc) of short form (haiku, tanka, senryu, etc) helped me while I was a novice of such.  Pablo Neruda was a hug influence, and through Neruda I learned about his good friend Federico Garcia Lorca - his world of Andalusia and his early death.  Then there was and still is Charles Simic, Anne Sexton, Sylvia Plath, Gary Snyder, and others of course, but in particular - David Wevill (pronounced like the word "devil"). I was fortunate to be introduced to him (and him to me) some years ago, where we often kept in touch as fans of each others' works. The people I've mentioned have all influenced me, and all of them at one time or another have affected certain ways I use vocabulary, structure, and brevity.  

As for my favorite styles of poetry besides the various & multitude of eastern forms, is free verse.  And there you have it.

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

To say that one poet or a few for that matter have inspired me is wrong. If it were filmmakers that is another story. In essence I find inspiration from a multitude of different poets and their poems. There is no one poet specifically. Inspiration comes in all shapes and sizes at the best of times. Why draw inspiration from one shape. Then again things outside of poetry always influence my work and everyone's to a degree. I may have unintentionally emulated a poet on this site regarding the fact that nothing can truly be original. It can merely be reinvented or possibly improved but never original. Now for the tricky matter of style in terms of actual topics I pick Dark and poems that do not fit into other poems wit exceptions. In terms of theme a series of random and traumatizing events. Structure is usually one idea per stanza or no stanza's at all. Hope it helps you guys get to understand my work and me as poet.

BoFantastic
Thought Provoker
7awards
Joined 24th Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 333

God.
God.
and....
God.

berzerk
meme machine
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 18th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 12

myself because im a conceited bastard
i dont really take inspiration from other poets i just kinda ?? wing it

to me,, the best kinda poetry is basically just an internal monologue with no proper grammar or punctuation n yr just typin on the keyboard like laksjdkjhdsaflkajhfkjhd n makin it up as u go along

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

Where the fuck have you been all my life? I can respect that but surely other writers or something. The way a fucking butterfly flaps its wings must have influenced your work

Go to page:
Go to: