Go to page:

me me me me me me me me me me me

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

whether or not to use the 'i' should surely depend on how well it fits soundwise (creating sound-links for a more cohesive poetry unit) and scansion; whether its use acts to exclude a reader, making the piece ALL about the author and not about inviting the reader into the shared experience; its visual appearance - how well that fits with the entirety of the poem, patterns set up, etc..., etc..., etc....

sometimes it's just not necessary to hit a reader over the head with i, i, i - other times its use doesn't exclude, creates just the right sound, just the right look

so i guess it's all down to the poem. some of the best (both withs and withouts) are simply where the author steps out of the poem (even if it's all about them) just enough for a reader to step in.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

I, I, I - Me, me, me - You, you, you, - They, they, they, repetitive he, she, his, her can suit certain poems and beat out the rhythm of the piece, it can up the power of the poetry, especially performance poems. This is not a general rule for personal, emotional poetry if it is done it has to be done well, creating impact

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5289

David_Macleod said:I, I, I - Me, me, me - You, you, you, - They, they, they, repetitive he, she, his, her can suit certain poems and beat out the rhythm of the piece, it can up the power of the poetry, especially performance poems. This is not a general rule for personal, emotional poetry if it is done it has to be done well, creating impact
👌

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 38

I don't read poems with ''I'' in it - why are you telling me about you? Who cares about you? Say something about something why don't you???

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14629

greyblueyellow said:I don't read poems with ''I'' in it - why are you telling me about you? Who cares about you? Say something about something why don't you???

LOL! Like anyone cares what someone who doesn't care about them thinks!  You do liven the place up in an acerbic way, I must admit!

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

greyblueyellow said:I don't read poems with ''I'' in it - why are you telling me about you? Who cares about you? Say something about something why don't you???perhaps you should give it a try... the best-written ones make the experience about the reader; the reader becomes the 'i' in the piece. at the very least, you should be able to connect in some empathatic way and gain insight as to the workings of the human psyche.

while it's true too many of the 'i' poems can actually exclude rather than include a reader, and those people are most likely to enjoy reading are written by people they admire ( a celebrity or some such), there are plenty of good ones here and all over the web. refusing to read them only limits your own development.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

greyblueyellow said:I don't read poems with ''I'' in it - why are you telling me about you? Who cares about you? Say something about something why don't you???

that attitude is a bit odd and you have missed some terrific poetry and sadly that is your loss. Not sure about livening the site up, I see your attitude as dumming it down and an encouragement to members not to read poems - Bad Idea IMHO

"Poetry without self reads like an Ikea catalogue"
someone famous once said that

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Everyone should have their own opinion, all the better if it is not formed from someone else's opinion but from their own experience. Like oxymoron and pancakes came into my mind when I read your comment. Strange that.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14629

Magdalena said:

Everyone should have their own opinion, all the better if it is not formed from someone else's opinion but from their own experience. Like oxymoron and pancakes came into my mind when I read your comment. Strange that.

Bwahahaha! Exactly what I mean by livening the place up! Now I want pancakes!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2294

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 38

Most so-called poems are simply letters to the writers mother in the sense that only their mother could possibly be interested in the material presented. There is this gigantic and universal assumption of interest in the most mediocre and commonplace personal misery imaginable. Why else would one presents all this stuff about oh dear poor me I am lost broken alone sexually frustrated unappreciated etc etc

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

greyblueyellow said:Most so-called poems are simply letters to the writers mother in the sense that only their mother could possibly be interested in the material presented. There is this gigantic and universal assumption of interest in the most mediocre and commonplace personal misery imaginable. Why else would one presents all this stuff about oh dear poor me I am lost broken alone sexually frustrated unappreciated etc etc

Just as some comments have no intelligent thought to them and are made in order to troll, but then there is a difference with these no mother would want to read them either

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

greyblueyellow said:Most so-called poems are simply letters to the writers mother in the sense that only their mother could possibly be interested in the material presented. There is this gigantic and universal assumption of interest in the most mediocre and commonplace personal misery imaginable. Why else would one presents all this stuff about oh dear poor me I am lost broken alone sexually frustrated unappreciated etc etc
i believe i understand the frustration you show here, but perhaps try viewing through a kinder lens: you don't have to read that material; most people begin writing poetry this way... it's the literary equivalent of 'cutting', releasing the pressure of emotions coupled up with a need to write.
before they've acquired the skills to better express themselves, the words still need an outlet... and it's only through writing (and reading and offering critique aka THINKING about the way to present/develop a piece) we learn how to do something better. i'd guarantee you didn't start your writing journey writing at the same level you can now. and you surely have room for improvement, we all do.

instead of looking so scornfully on those closer to the start of their writing journey, you could offer helpful crit/suggestions or simply allow them to do their own thing and focus on writers who are currently better than yourself and learn from those, to further your own development and travel more steps along your own writing path.

:)

MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States 87awards
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5600

Many of your poems have “I” in them ....

Go to page:
Go to: