Go to page:

Is poetry art or therapy?

GChordBlues
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 3rd Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 22

Depends on the person. Some people do it as an art, and others use it to vent emotions they keep bottled up.

SamiBmuse
Thought Provoker
United Kingdom
Joined 9th July 2017
Forum Posts: 63

I think for me my poetry is therapy. I can release, anger, sadness and hope in my writing and the craziness that in there too haha,

when its written it becomes ok, holding it just in my mind is not, nobody is built to hold so much in just one place, so I write it and then let it go.

Makes for a more peaceful life

AdamW
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom 1awards
Joined 24th Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 7

poetry is art. people can use it as therey or a weapon or what you will.

PoetWarrior
Thought Provoker
United States
Joined 22nd Sep 2018
Forum Posts: 87

I think poetry can be very cathartic and enjoyable for the author.  With so many permutations, deviations, experimenting opportunities, it is also a gratifying art form.  I attempt to write AND paint; poetry writing is much less expensive! :-)

rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
Ukraine 2awards
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 2051

IS POETRY ART OR THERAPY

IS ART POETRY OR THERAPY
IS THERAPY POETRY OR ART?

THY POET ROAR, "HEY RAPIST"

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Poetry is whatever you want it to be. You can follow the rules or you can bend or break them. Poetry is the freedom to wrote out what's in your heart, mind and soul. I should never be confined or ring fenced, although poetry snobs will disagree I say "My poetry is mine fuck em!" write whatever you like, when ever you like, about anything you like - You are your own Poet - critics are ten a penny, usually they become critics because they are not that good or they don't think they are good enough. Self deprecation  or low self esteem is common and that's ok unless it turns into elitist behaviour. So poetry can be both art and therapy and so many other things

Chuck
Chuck Todd
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 14th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 7

I feel poetry is therapy to me, since I don't share my emotions with anyone. My only release is, writing words on paper.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Vandel_Viaclovsky
Van
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 21st July 2013
Forum Posts: 126

it is not either thing, it is both things and its own thing (imo)

poet Anonymous

therapy!

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

It's oil and vinegar in a glass bottle. Shake it up, they mix. Leave it still, they separate. For me, writing is both. Sometimes it is very apparent if it is art or therapy, and sometimes I can't even care to tell the difference.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

It is really not a question I consider often, all poetry is personal art and all poetry is therapeutic for the writer and some of the readers, I think it is always both an expression of art no matter if you like it or that kind of poetry or not, I do not question anyone's artistry, Shakspearian sonnets are art so are bawdy limericks - they are the writers creation of their personal art expression

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

wrong question. poetry is an art form. like all forms of art, it's up to you how much or how little you want to make it your therapy.

close the thread i'm right you're wrong

love yez

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14630

anna_grin said:wrong question. poetry is an art form. like all forms of art, it's up to you how much or how little you want to make it your therapy.

love yez

Exactly, anna.  Just as drawing and painting. The more time you invest the more your art matures.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014

anna_grin said:wrong question. poetry is an art form. like all forms of art, it's up to you how much or how little you want to make it your therapy.

love yez

It's worth considering the question and I am sure that many people have benefited from this conversation. Peoples opinions vary so we should let the thread run

Nobody on here is right all are usually half right in their opinion some are a lot less than half

your comment made me grin ironically

Go to page:
Go to: