Go to page:

Is poetry art or therapy?

poet Anonymous

Perdition said:Poetry is  fever.

Yes.

Perdition said:Therapy is an inward campaign that stems from your spirit of life.

Fever is also an inward campaign. Especially if it's a passion.

Perdition said: It is the labor of fear, expressing distress until you are whole and desperate enough to be finally exposed.

Exposure is caused by spirit, is it not?

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

Hi I'm Greg I'm new to this poetry deal but I'm willing to learn.Regarding the topic at hand poetry like all art is a form of therapy.The poems reflect what the poet thinks and feels.it could be an outburst.So in short one could argue actually on the broader scale of things that art asa whole is therapy

poet Anonymous

highwaytohell said:So in short one could argue actually on the broader scale of things that art as a whole is therapy

/\ this.

Gahddess_Worship
Osomajestuoso
Tyrant of Words
United States 37awards
Joined 21st Aug 2013
Forum Posts: 823

I think of poetry as artistic communication. A vehicle whereby we convey our ideas, perceptions, our innermost feelings to the world, however big or small our world may be. As the painter shares, visually, their ideas and perceptions with paint and brush we do so with words.

Because poetry is a conveyance of feeling I believe it is therapy as well. A baby cries out when hungry, tired, frightened or in pain. Likewise the poet cries out for love, justice, mercy, companionship, intimacy or just to be understood either by themselves or others. Poetry is a personal expression, an unburdening of the heart and soul and as such I tend to be less critical of artistic formulas and style.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

I think poetry is closer to masturbation than art...  And art galleries are nothing but brothels.

poet Anonymous

case28 said:I think poetry is closer to masturbation than art...  And art galleries are nothing but brothels.

...and that's what your public breach of the peace order was for

HHMCameron
BetaWolfinVA
Fire of Insight
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Oct 2014
Forum Posts: 315

Both art and therapy...

Both are tools we use to survive

KDAmB
Tyrant of Words
Australia 13awards
Joined 5th Sep 2014
Forum Posts: 6358

Like someone's already stated above, poetry is both art and therapy. I have worked at a mental health institution and occupational therapists are a major part of the treatment there. These OT's make extensive use of Art therapies and poetry being an art is no different. On a side note(apologies for going off topic) I have observed since childhood that poets by nature are uber-sensitive and I've always wondered why...

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

bricklaying can be therapeutic,
but it's the building that matters
in the end...

BleedingButterfly0
Strange Creature
Joined 21st Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 13

i think its both because you express yourself in emotions and yet present it as art for others

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

Absolutely  artistic therapy ")

LibrarianLulu
Lost Thinker
Joined 12th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 4

Well, I hope you don't mind me saying that I USE your artistic and/or therapeutic outputs as a form of therapy for myself...s'wonderful, mood-altering stuff you put out there, yup, therapy indeed...(nods).  I thank you, all.  Sincerely.

Lulu

poet Anonymous

I think the main points here that I don't want to get over looked is, is there a difference between writing for therapy or writing for art....and if so is there a difference between writing being therapy, and being therapeutic.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14457

I don't think motive equals art, that's to say art is a finished product, so I dont think it matters why you write or what you get out if writing, your finished product is the art

johnrot
Tyrant of Words
21awards
Joined 10th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 3645

i've had people read my poetry and say i need to go back to therapy.....

Go to page:
Go to: