Forum Posts: 322

Realistic purview of therapie.

MayRayn
May Rayn
Thought Provoker
United States 2awards
Joined 10th May 2016
Forum Posts: 113

If I might, I'd like to ask a question: would your writing change depending on whether you consider poetry art or therapy, and how?

In my case, if I were to consider poetry therapy only, I would probably futz with it much less than I do - once it achieved its function of exercising demons, I'd be done. As I do consider poetry a combination, I currently work and futz with my poems to make them pleasing. OTOH, perhaps some would consider that in itself therapeutic.

Thoughts?

Durdinah
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 12th Dec 2016
Forum Posts: 3

Both!  I reading it writing it.  It doesn't matter, it is definitely both to me.  Equal halves.

LostGirl18
Fire of Insight
Canada 10awards
Joined 15th Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 105

The cheapest form of therapy is to write something down. It doesn't make your scribbles art. It's a little more complex than that.

Solomon_Song
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 103awards
Joined 28th Sep 2012
Forum Posts: 331

Writing poetry can be therapy if it is the outworking an emotions or worries that would be unhealthy to keep in. I would probably agree with Cat Stevens' song line:

Can't keep it in, can't keep it in, gotta let it out!

One of my longest poems, Gethsemane Rhapsody, a parody of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody  (spiritual section) followed a depressing experience related to work. I think it was God's helping me to bounce back.

Reading poetry is at its most therapeutic to me if it is comical and makes one laugh.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

some poetry is art, it doesn't matter whether or not art is therapeutic

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

all poetry is Art first and foremost - for me it is also therapy - the theraputic value of poetry depends on the writer. it can be therapy for the reader also on a case by case, poem by poem :-)

BevvyBud
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 10th July 2017
Forum Posts: 1

It is def both in my opinion. For me personally it is therapy. It helps me work through my thoughts and feelings. After writing a song or poem, I always feel soo much better.

Oldsp0rt
Strange Creature
Joined 11th July 2017
Forum Posts: 1

It's a therapeutic art in my opinion.

clewluss
SMOOKY
Thought Provoker
Joined 22nd Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 281

pottery is art

clewluss
SMOOKY
Thought Provoker
Joined 22nd Apr 2014
Forum Posts: 281

poetry

Grace
IDryad
Tyrant of Words
122awards
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 16073

Poetry is as you make it. It can be art that is therapeutic.

Gemini
Geminitalian
Fire of Insight
United States 9awards
Joined 28th Oct 2012
Forum Posts: 1378

Sometimes it's one and sometimes it's the other. For me the best work is when I fuse the two together.

Piegoose
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 24th July 2017
Forum Posts: 3

Like another guy said, I think all art is therapeutic. It's another way of communicating with people who you are, your troubles, etc. Art is communication.

Go to page:
Go to: