Go to page:

Is poetry art or therapy?

poet Anonymous

So, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine today (a really long discussion) in which the question was posed "is poetry art or is poetry therapy?"...I didn't realise there were so many dimensions to the answer once you start thinking about it.

I tend to be in the poetry being therapy camp, but I wondered your thoughts on the subject...

poet Anonymous

I would argue it is both.

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

I view it/treat it as therapy....I believe ALL of "The Arts" are therapeutic.
Whether its escape to a feeling or from one....it all is a meditative channeling-no matter mood, or thought process to whichever art you endeavor.
My particular ones tend to be escape from the here and now-with glimpses of the future (or the grand finale and how it will shape...eventually----the piece and life itself)

Loveless_Lifeless
Jasmine
Thought Provoker
United States 1awards
Joined 24th Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 195

I think poetry is what you make it. For everyone its different. Everyone has their own reason for writing, whether its to express their feeling or their imagination or anything between. In ways its a release from your daily life, being able to let out your soul. Its a way to say what you've been through and what you have done. In other ways its a way to inspire others and put something amazing out into the world. Poetry isn't just therapeutic or just art, in a way its both. Poetry can be found anywhere or in anything, it doesn't have to be written down or posted to know what it is. Maybe I don't have much of an opinion seeing as I only have one trophy or less than 1,000 poems posted or because I am just a freshman in college, but everyone has a right to poetry and words. Poetry has no bounds and it isn't limited to specifics, poetry is for everyone. I honestly don't think anyone sucks at poetry, I just think some people relate to some poems and don't relate to others and that is how we base weather we add it to our reading lists or post positive comments.  

poet Anonymous

I don't think lack of experience makes you more or less qualified to answer the question. I think the difficulty that arose was the definition between what art is defined as and what therapy is described as. Therefore you could argue that it is both... but in this particular discussion apparently not

poet Anonymous

souladareatease said:I view it/treat it as therapy....I believe ALL of "The Arts" are therapeutic.
Whether its escape to a feeling or from one....it all is a meditative channeling-no matter mood, or thought process to whichever art you endeavor.
My particular ones tend to be escape from the here and now-with glimpses of the future (or the grand finale and how it will shape...eventually----the piece and life itself)

Do you believe there's a difference between the word therapy and therapeutic out of interest?

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012

Miss_Sub said:

Do you believe there's a difference between the word therapy and therapeutic out of interest?

if you finite the word...indeed I surely do....then my reply above would say Therapeutic....but if I don't have the drive to "create" something...and I know it consciously ...my heart/mind needs a balm ....then I would go after it-naming it therapy
(hope that makes sense)

poet Anonymous

It does actually, Mr dareatease. So yours is actually a very 'yes & no' response.

rajibr
Damned Soul
Twisted Dreamer
India
Joined 4th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 72

Poetry is a medium to express. You can express ideas, ideology, social issues, angst, love, feelings, fantasies, etc. , you just name it. In this context we can term poetry as an art of expression. But we need to take into account thr effect of poetry on reader as well. This effect is (most of the times) like a therapy, once reader identifies himself/herself with the poetry itself. So it is more of a cause-effect relationship...cause leads to creation of art while effect acts like a therapy. Like two sides of the same coin...complementary to each other

souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States 29awards
Joined 28th Dec 2012

Miss_Sub said:It does actually, Mr dareatease. So yours is actually a very 'yes & no' response.

;)  -You know how I roll...definite maybe's :)

Perdition
Lost Thinker
United States
Joined 9th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 1

Poetry is art. No more; no less. When you know of this then you know of bliss. You feel freedom and all of what matters; you crave no other feeling so well. Poetry is  fever. An artistic rage;  a rush that enters where it exits in hell as well as heaven, It is  these moments when you know of art. Therapy is an inward campaign that stems from your spirit of life. It breaks and struggles your balance and confuses your stride. It is the labor of fear, expressing distress until you are whole and desperate enough to be finally exposed.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

I think anything can be incorporated into something of therapeutic worth, including killing people.

art fits in there easy enough on a couple of levels ie physical therapy and psychological therapy.  

I suppose it all depends why you took it up in the first place  

dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
29awards
Joined 17th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 2879

For me it is a therapy. My anger, depression, frustrations. I put into pictures, I drew images. When I first found DUP I thought it's a about poets, later I felt comfortable and posting my old writings. For me its a therapy.

poet Anonymous

lepperochan said:

I suppose it all depends why you took it up in the first place  

This is a very fair point, but then I'm also aware that people's focuses change the older they get.

aarti
Thought Provoker
India 2awards
Joined 29th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 165

It is subjective. For me it is just therapy. For someone who is disinclined towards sharing her feelings, poetry is the only way I "let things out". Well, it is an art, but personally, to me, it is just therapeutic

Go to page:
Go to: