Can you define poetry

DystopianMelody
DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 9th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 1378

case28 said:The strength of a poem can be found in the power of the inspiration, and the skill of the poet to capture and convey that message or tell that story is what makes a poem great. Writing is all about the process, if you're passionate about the act of writing poetry, then the skill, editing and technique will follow as you read other poets and apply yourself to hone your craft.

A poem is like a photograph, it's simply a snapshot of a moment in thought. The person taking the photo may understand the mechanics of how a camera works, they may know what buttons to press to achieve the right settings for the desired effects, but the true skill in taking a great shot relies on the instinct in knowing the right angle to achieve that perfect composition, and where to position the sun to give you the right amount of light and contrast. Poetry is everything that happens before you capture that moment.

In regards to the perfect length of a poem, I think the shorter the better, only through choice, because we're becoming increasingly impatient as humans, but there is skill required in both being concise and writing something epic, both need to be compelling.

I agree with that, up to a point. Poetry is taking a snapshot of a moment, but where (in my opinion atleast) it surpasses photography is that you actually describe what's going inside the subject, rather than just capturing what it looks like. Excuse me while I ponce it up for a moment, but for me, photography only shows the exterior, but if your imagery is good enough then poetry shows the exterior and the inner workings. And the moment can be extended with poetry, whereas you only get the split second With photography.
P.s I'm sure if you write something un-put-downable then that short attention span is cured.

case28
case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
40awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2016

And this is why our fellow artists think poets are ponces, because we think our craft is more complete then oher artists... is a picture incapable of saying a thousand words?

I was trying to draw a comparritive between writing poetry and creating other art forms, where there is more focus on the transition of inspiration and ideas and how we process our feelings and thoughts into creating art. When we create art we are channeling the inspiration, and to a degree we are planning and working towards the final outcome... and this is all starting to sound like art wankery to me.

case28
case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
Joined 16th June 2013

hornyatmorn said:
I don't quite understand the terms "concise" and "epic" here, so please forgive me if I misread you.

Horny, when I was using "concise" and "epic" in the same sentence, I was trying say, whether a poem is concise [with minimal use of words] or epic [in length] they must both be written with the aim to be compelling.

I don't think a great poem should be judged by its length, it's the way you use the words that really matters...

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
64awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 12902

case28 said:And this is why our fellow artists think poets are ponces, because we think our craft is more complete then other artists... is a picture incapable of saying a thousand words?

I agree. the picture ^ taken at the Miss Sarajevo under siege 93' in the height of the Serb/ Bosnian cleansing

the words      

Don't
             let them
               kill
                us  

the song https://youtu.be/51DMGjup6h4

all evocative. all three together, hand me the tissues

DystopianMelody
DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 9th Dec 2012

Poetry mans quote made me curious, I just finished watching dead poets society for the first time.
IfI wasn't already in love with words, I would be now. What a fucking movie. I miss Robin Williams.

poet Anonymous

DystopianMelody said:Poetry mans quote made me curious, I just finished watching dead poets society for the first time.
IfI wasn't already in love with words, I would be now. What a fucking movie. I miss Robin Williams.

Spectacular movie.

case28
case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
Joined 16th June 2013

Dude, I cried when I watched that film for the first time... they made us watch it at school too, the fuckers.

poet Anonymous

Cry every damn time.

DystopianMelody
DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 9th Dec 2012

I thought I could watch it, then fall asleep. There's no sleeping after that. I think I'm gonna go back to the beginning, watch up to about the hour mark, then turn it off and try to delude myself into believing the worlds a magical, innocent place.
I didn't cry though. I swear I didn't.

poet Anonymous

DystopianMelody said:I thought I could watch it, then fall asleep. There's no sleeping after that. I think I'm gonna go back to the beginning, watch up to about the hour mark, then turn it off and try to delude myself into believing the worlds a magical, innocent place.
I didn't cry though. I swear I didn't.

No amount of deluding will work. But I applaud the effort.

case28
case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
Joined 16th June 2013

Nah, they weren't tears, were they, captain my captain... admit it, captain my captain... the final scene, captain my captain... you're a rock, captain my captain... no crying at this point of the film, captain my captain...

Seriously, one of my first poems was inspired by that film. The poem was about a boy who didn't follow his dreams to be an actor. Good stuff... yep, stop crying, you old bastard.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

yes. crying. that's what the tissues were for

the question of the amount of words it takes to constitute a poem. I think a lot would depend on the setting.  take for instance hurricane Katrina. when the waters were at their highest in New Orleans there was a street sign showing above the waters with debris rushing past it. the name of the street on the sign?  

Humanity

poetry on lots of levels.  

DystopianMelody
DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 9th Dec 2012

Fuck all you guys! I was happy watching teenage mutant ninja turtles.
I used to fucking like saying oh captain my captain.
The only part of me that leaks is my favourite penis, why would my eyes leak? That's just silly.

DystopianMelody
DystopianMelody
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 9th Dec 2012

lepperochan said:yes. crying. that's what the tissues were for

the question of the amount of words it takes to constitute a poem. I think a lot would depend on the setting.  take for instance hurricane Katrina. when the waters were at their highest in New Orleans there was a street sign showing above the waters with debris rushing past it. the name of the street on the sign?  

Humanity

poetry on lots of levels.  

That particular picture might be worth a thousand poems.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Joined 1st Apr 2011

http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/moving-walls/14/katrina-unnatural-disaster

...can't seem to post images

anyway, I suppose it asks a couple of questions. is poetry created ? or rather, does it have to be create.

the sign was created at some stage right enough, but not for the purpose of that picture

and does poetry have to be in the form of words. a poem does, but does poetry ?  

Go to page:
Go to: