Go to page:

Can you define poetry

i_licked_death
Strange Creature
Joined 21st Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 4

HedonsHerald said:Poetry is what happens when you take liquid emotion, drinking deeply, then regurgitate it unto paper. It sounds disgusting but its actually beautiful. Each poet mixes this liquid emotion with their own flavor/odor of bile which represent their circumstances. This makes each poem unique.

uniqueshaky
Thought Provoker
Wales 2awards
Joined 24th Jan 2012
Forum Posts: 196

Poetry is the medicine of the soul.

tinkerer74
Strange Creature
Joined 14th June 2016
Forum Posts: 3

i like that " without all the narrative he said she said nosence" a story without all the filling.

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 38

Poetry is language that carries and involves artistic or aesthetic intentions and objectives it may be therapy as well as that but if it doesn't have artistic and aesthetic intentions and objectives out coming from a living vital meaningful relationship and appreciation of and with great works of art then it is not poetry it may be therapy this therapy has no value as poetry and can be of no possible interest to anybody other than the mother of the the self therapist in question.

herpoeticright
Erika Jones
Strange Creature
Canada
Joined 26th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 3

It is Zeus speaking through humans again saying what's to come

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

. . . .

brokentitanium
k.
Tyrant of Words
Canada 10awards
Joined 18th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 1173

Wondering what poetry IS is one of the things that makes me most scared to write it. Or at least to share it under the label of "poetry". If I express something from deep in my soul, whether I take time to frig around with the words and make it rhyme or whether it's just a free-form spill, and I believe it is poetry, does a reader then get to say, "no, actually it isn't"? This fear is always there, and it tells me I'm a fraud and that all my so-called poems should just stay private in my therapeutic journal where they belong.

So, for me, poetry is a seeking for connection. Connection with other people, by saying stuff that so many of us feel but don't dare say, and saying it in a way that brings the reader to my vantage point so we can look out over the scene (concept, idea, situation) together and come to some understanding. I've written my train-of-thought angst in journals for years, but only when I started sharing it (which means I had readers in mind during writing) did it turn into something anyone could call poetry. Or did it?? Crap, I don't know. It's still a lot of artsy-fartsy bullshit.

Maybe it would be more concise to say, poetry is just spitting in the face of our own aloneness, using words. And applying to those words "artistic and aesthetic intentions and objectives" (as mentioned a few comments above) - which to me means it has a reader in mind and a desire to connect with them.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

when i read it, it's more than ' a story'... it's an experience. the words create images and elicit emotional reactions that resonate and fire, ripple and burn, sink and drown me. more akin to music's ability to render those same reactions but through the medium of words. most poetry is somewhere along that path; some much further along than others, but they all share the journeying.

the pen, the written word, they are the tools with which we connect something beneath our skins to the minds of readers.

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019

Poetry is being returned to an Idea.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

Poetry should be an injection of emotion
Into the readers mind like a potion
Poetry without an emotional reaction
Is Dead

tornatras
Strange Creature
Joined 18th Oct 2019
Forum Posts: 2

**precision of communication**??

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019

If I bring you one of my turds on a plate you are going to have an emotional reaction therefore what you have said is insufficient

poet Anonymous

greyblueyellow said:If I bring you one of my turds on a plate you are going to have an emotional reaction therefore what you have said is insufficient

If you spray fixative on that you could peddle it as modern art

ConjurerOfWorlds
Aiden Ross
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 22nd Oct 2019
Forum Posts: 2

What is really in a word?

Take the noun 'house,' as an example. Define house.

You may likely say that a house is, "a place one inhabits."

But is an uninhabited house any less of a house?

So you may correct yourself, "a house is a building meant to be inhabited."

Yet still, is the 'House of Representatives' by that definition still a 'house'?

Likewise poetry, though one concept, is fluid and everchanging. It is only one thing yet it is contained in all things and contains all things and is all things given only the right context.

The context I find most pleasing, is the poetry that is an accident. Let the words flow from your mouth as freely as they formed in your mind. One can correct one's own thinking yet still acknowledge their wrong thoughts. Poetry is contained in all things and contains all things, so it does not exclude the thoughts deemed wrong, nor the thoughts deemed right.

Put it all on paper for it is all poetry.

Fetchitnow
Thought Provoker
2awards
Joined 20th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 156

Poetry = Artistry

Go to page:
Go to: