Go to page:

Can you define poetry

HedonsHerald
Alexander Johnson
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 26

Poetry is what happens when you take liquid emotion, drinking deeply, then regurgitate it unto paper. It sounds disgusting but its actually beautiful. Each poet mixes this liquid emotion with their own flavor/odor of bile which represent their circumstances. This makes each poem unique.

DarthVader
Strange Creature
Korea, North
Joined 1st Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 3

Jeanette Winterson: "A tough life needs a tough language — and that is what poetry is. That is what literature offers — a language powerful enough to say how it is.”

poet Anonymous

Running around in high heels trying to tack an emotion to the wall with a sledgehammer....that's poetry

poet Anonymous

Nothingness; and yet everything!

Gagan
Strange Creature
India
Joined 28th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1

the rhythm that already exists in the realm of words and thoughts and beyond is nothingness and the rhythm that defines the nothingness itself is poetry.

Handcuffs
et al
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 27th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 11

MadameLavender said:A poem is a song without its accompanying music, but can stand alone or with the music, regardless.  It is also something that is already written, and those of us who write, are the chosen vessels/conduits by which poems are brought forth into the world, and if you train yourself how to "listen" for them, you'll catch the ones you're supposed to birth, yourself.

Interesting.  I just read an article that pointed out that poems are like our children:  we give birth to them, raise them, and set them loose on the world.  Once we do this, the poems form their own relationships with other people, which in turn, gives them new meanings.  

Thank you for this,

Phoenix_Risen
Thought Provoker
United States 5awards
Joined 21st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 98

Poetry is to the conscious mind as dreams are to the subconscious.
The way we reconcile our spiritual selves with the physical world.

SatansSperm
Dangerous Mind
13awards
Joined 19th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 3112

Poetry to me is telling a story or making a statement without the bother of all   those   pages....or like a passionate kiss and quick slap on the ass...a tease...

LobodeSanPedro
Tyrant of Words
Sierra Leone 109awards
Joined 16th Apr 2013
Forum Posts: 3304

DarthVader said:Jeanette Winterson: "A tough life needs a tough language — and that is what poetry is. That is what literature offers — a language powerful enough to say how it is.”

Great quote.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Justaguywithapen
Strange Creature
Joined 25th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 1

Poetry is a story

SatInUGal
Kumar
Dangerous Mind
United States 24awards
Joined 31st Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 903

When you wordsmith
Like a boss

Artemios
Thought Provoker
Greece 12awards
Joined 11th Jan 2016
Forum Posts: 393

Even number zero is poetry.
Poetry should not have a  zero balance though.

highwaytohell
Greg
Thought Provoker
South Africa
Joined 24th Sep 2015
Forum Posts: 449

A bunch of words jumbled together in order to make sense of the world.

rainbowoni
Strange Creature
Joined 2nd Feb 2016
Forum Posts: 11

"dont give me a google answer or the Oxford dictionary definition. what is poetry to you."
Oh noes. My greatest weakness!

What is poetry to me you ask? There is no me, I have no perspectives. Actually I take that back, not having perspectives is a form of a perspectives. I'm a mirror. You flash poetry right in my face and I'll reflect it back. As what? For what it is. For what you see it as. Does it matter? No. Poetry is poetry my dear boy, but poetry is bad doc! I don't care, drink it now! Doc!!!! You're attempting to make poetry into something more. You break the mirror and start doing a bunch of fancy stuff with it. Look, this is poetry you say. No I reply, that is you bending poetry with various other aspects of reality. You're twisting the truth, with riddles and metaphors. And god damn that's gracious. Life for what it is so dull, empty and just so unbearable. So why not altar it? Yes. Let's all become tricksters and bend reality. Let's bend the minds and emotions of all for our own sake.

Go to page:
Go to: