Go to page:

What is dark poetry?

Zieg
Strange Creature
Joined 30th Oct 2013
Forum Posts: 1

Who decides what dark poetry is? Besides all of the wikipedia articles about it. I feel that dark poetry can even be happy, depending on what your mood, your feelings, and what your heart says. Discuss?

AscensionES
Aptilneilrionaltion
Dangerous Mind
Australia 9awards
Joined 22nd Jan 2013
Forum Posts: 1797

Dark Poetry is Poetry minus the label.

poet Anonymous

AscensionES said:Dark Poetry is Poetry minus the label.

Yes. Poetry is a zipped-up suitcase that the reader must unzip and unpack. Dark poetry is poetry. Love, drugs, anger, self, observational, are categories that contain dark connotations. If someone writes about how in-love he or she is, it would be boring seeing as how there would be nothing to unpack. If someone writes about flowers and how beautiful the sky is... an upbeat poem, still not that much to unpack. Poetry is dark, mysterious, powerful...readers must dig deep. Happy poetry is surface poetry which really isn't poetry.

Smoogej1s
Taylor
Fire of Insight
United States 16awards
Joined 15th Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 267

straight from the Dark Poetry homepage on the site "Evil poetry and morbid poems about death and horror
The dark poems section is for evil, sinister, disturbing and morbid poems, including horror and Halloween themed poetry. Dark poetry about death, destruction and suffering is prevalent. Dark poems are popular, with their content capable of shocking, scaring and repulsing the reader. If you're prepared to have your mind disturbed, then take a journey with us, into the twisted world of DU dark poetry."

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

Well, if a serial killer takes pleasure in his work then that could be lighthearted killing... you decide. If it ain't dark you will be reported. I will say that you're certainly not allowed to write dark poetry with an anonymous avatar... dark poets should never blend in, otherwise we will think you really are a serial killer.

If you write something and you're hesitant to post it because you're worried what people may think about you, then you're probably on the right track. Like right at this moment...

I want to strap Jack Heslop to a bed,
break his ankles and spread
melted dark chocolate [slop]
over my genitals to appease him...
Have you been bad, Jackie boy?
Do you want some pain
dipped in chocolate?
Don't make me do it, Jack!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

Let all beware self-consciously dark poetry, the worst of all poetic worlds. One can only roll their eyes.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

TryHarderMartyr said:Let all beware self-consciously dark poetry, the worst of all poetic worlds. One can only roll their eyes.

Hey, not all us have a taste for the bitterness of dark chocolate.

I don't believe poetry should be self conscious, I think society and the media regulates our thoughts enough in life. We should write to unleash and if that's dark, erotic, beautiful, or somewhere entangled amongst our emotions, then that's cool.

The question is, what is dark poetry? If you fear what you'll find in the darkest corners of your mind and choose to filter your thoughts before you commit them to paper, that's cool too, but you may need to take up meditation or find another release, to stop you losing your mind from bottling up all that raw emotion.

My ink is black, not red... that's the way I spill it!

Atakti
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 1st Aug 2012
Forum Posts: 3273

When that vice grips around your throat and chokes you, sucking the air, then bleed your ink... Rub it into everything, cleanse in blackness.

Wallow for a while, if you must, but always, always, write.

violet
Vi
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 6awards
Joined 13th Feb 2011
Forum Posts: 2523

It's what you make of it; as subjective as anything else, really..

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Atakti said:When that vice grips around your throat and chokes you, sucking the air, then bleed your ink... Rub it into everything, cleanse in blackness.

Wallow for a while, if you must, but always, always, write.

Black ink just sprayed the ceiling... you have a way with words.

violet
Vi
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom 6awards
Joined 13th Feb 2011
Forum Posts: 2523

......  :)

poet Anonymous

dark poetry is poetry without light

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
papermoon
Strange Creature
Joined 6th Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 2

Dark poetry is expressing what builds up in the unforgiving corner of the mind , the more it challenges society's views of acceptable. The better.

Go to page:
Go to: