Plagiarists (once proven): Should we ban them?

72.00% • 18 votes • Yes
28.00% • 7 votes • Yes, but only after they’ve been given a second chane
0% • 0 votes • No
Total votes: 25
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Plagiarists (once proven): Should we ban them?

MadameLavender
MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States
83awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5533

Billy_Snagg said:You have explained the protocol quite clearly, Madame Lavender, even though it sounds a bit complicated regarding someone's length of service coming into play on the plagiarism front. In Mr.Sawyer's case, he has already served a 1 week ban, said sorry to anyone he has offended & it appears offending poems have been removed because he was on 65, now 57, so there have been deletions. Then I see he has received a 2nd 7 day ban. What I'm saying is, why was he banned again when he has corrected his error? To me he has gone beyond what he needed to say in order to pacify us.

Because the error was not fully corrected by him-- the mods had to remove some of the poems as well, then the apology included a statement about occasionaly using song lyrics without giving credit, and stating that there was no plagiarism of anything from other websites.  Clearly not the case, because any poems that I had to take down, I referenced the reason with a link to where it originally was posted online by the true author.    So overall, there was a deflection of ownership of the occurrences, and this latest round of plagiarisms was the second chance -- the same thing happened back in May.

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14319

Billy_Snagg said:You have explained the protocol quite clearly, Madame Lavender, even though it sounds a bit complicated regarding someone's length of service coming into play on the plagiarism front. In Mr.Sawyer's case, he has already served a 1 week ban, said sorry to anyone he has offended & it appears offending poems have been removed because he was on 65, now 57, so there have been deletions. Then I see he has received a 2nd 7 day ban. What I'm saying is, why was he banned again when he has corrected his error? To me he has gone beyond what he needed to say in order to pacify us.

Not about pacifying anyone. chap plagerised,  got caught, got given a chance, done it again??!! got caught. got suspended. Its as simple as that

Edit:

he didn't correct t his error  a mod had to combe through his stuff and find them. took a fair amount of time I would imagine

so any opology is hollow as fuck

Wafflenose
Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
17awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Aug 2021
Forum Posts: 1010

It wasn't a few bits here and there. It amounted to hundreds of incidents and I reported a fair few. I wasn't going to name names, but if my honesty makes me unpopular, that's fine. I don't like being lied to.

Wafflenose
Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 1st Aug 2021

By the way, what happens when somebody is serving a ban? I know they can't post new material. Can they read and participate in the forums (fora?)? Read and send messages?

MadameLavender
MadameLavender
Guardian of Shadows
United States
83awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Feb 2013
Forum Posts: 5533

Wafflenose said:By the way, what happens when somebody is serving a ban? I know they can't post new material. Can they read and participate in the forums (fora?)? Read and send messages?

Depends on which functions are banned-- all function can be banned  or individual functions or combinations of , can be disabled .  They can always read forums and poems, they just can't post, if those two abilities are banned.  

Strangeways_Rob
Strangeways_Rob
Fire of Insight
Wales
11awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 31st Mar 2020
Forum Posts: 440

We live in a dot.com.sitcom these days, so actors are just part of the daily furniture. Have you ever wondered how poets engaged and had a voice in pre-internet days? At least in real world, we get to choose who we mix with.

This whole plagiarist affair is dismal & depressing. All poetry sites have pertinent rules and to be fair, this site is rather lenient. What would stop anyone merely copying & pasting their entire portfolio from the web. What's the point??

Summerrain75
Summerrain75
Dangerous Mind
Philippines
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 286

Is using poetry form used by another writer considered plagiarism when it is a widely used form like Etheree?

Wafflenose
Wafflenose
Ellie
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
Joined 1st Aug 2021

I think using established forms is fine.

Summerrain75
Summerrain75
Dangerous Mind
Philippines
8awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Jan 2019
Forum Posts: 286

Wafflenose said:I think using established forms is fine. Yes that's what I understand. But I was once accused here of plagiarism for using Etheree form which is an established form. But it is not included in the poetry form in this site that may have caused the accuser to not know that there is a certain poetry form called Etheree.  

poet Anonymous

Wafflenose said:

This is what I'm hoping. I will be staying, and carrying on as normal. This is a great place to collect my works together and read those by other writers. I've made some good friends.

Just ONE WEEK banned? THAT'S A TRAVESTY!

crimsin
crimsin
Unveiling
Tyrant of Words
United States
109awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Jan 2011
Forum Posts: 2265

I've been plagiarized many times from this site
people come here and collect our poems
claiming they are theirs elsewhere
but we have proof our poems are copyrighted to us here...

as for banning them I don't really see the point
this is the internet really I just get over it...

Abracadabra
Abracadabra
Dangerous Mind
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 13th Nov 2009
Forum Posts: 1026

Passion & the Plago

And what if none of my poetry
was mine...
How would that feel?

Would I be angered
because I wasn't the first