Go to page:

What are you currently reading?

poet Anonymous

^ Given your latest avatar, try to check out Quentin Bell's slim biographies of the last River Ouse swimmer All very sanitised though. Has there ever been so many orgies committed with such clipped accents and perfect manners?

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 396

Strangeways_Rob said:^ Given your latest avatar, try to check out Quentin Bell's slim biographies of the last River Ouse swimmer All very sanitised though. Has there ever been so many orgies committed with such clipped accents and perfect manners?

lol That crack about the last swimmer will be sending us both straight to Hell

Josh
Joshua Bond
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 40awards
Joined 2nd Feb 2017
Forum Posts: 1742

Just finished reading 1986 book 'Cambodia ...' (207 pages) by Canadian writer Brian Fawcett.
15 short stories run along side 1 longer examinatory story on Cambodia (all the pages are split with the short stories on top half, and the Cambodia analysis in a different print like a never-ending footnote on the lower half of each page). It works well when you get used to flipping to and fro.
Basic theme is that Western (mainly American) society (aka 1980s) is losing both its memory of the past, and its ability to imagine a better future.
It's argued these two factors, taken to an extreme, led directly to the mentality of Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge regime that eradicated of about 30% of his own population, with not a little 'help' from the Americans killing 100,000+ Cambodian peasant farmers in an attempt to stop supply chains along the Ho Chi Minh trail to the Viet Cong. America also dumped five times the tonnage of bombs on Cambodia than was used by all sides in World War Two. They also provided 1000s of bomb-craters which Pol Pot's men used to throw their victims into.
Interesting read.

robert43041
Viking
Tyrant of Words
Canada 43awards
Joined 30th July 2020
Forum Posts: 918

Reading:  Mick Herron's Slow Horses. It has to do with espionage and MI5.   So many things, some tragic and some to do with bouffonnery. A good read.

PAR
PAULO ACACIO RAMOS
Fire of Insight
Portugal 17awards
Joined 26th May 2022
Forum Posts: 218

Fantastic!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

Carpe_Noctem said:Firefall

Peter Watts

Couldn't find a picture and could less be fucked looking for the book to take a picture

Everything I read by Peter Watts was completely mind blowing

Solomunster
Strange Creature
Joined 17th Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 1

ive been looking for something to keep my attention.  I am going to check this out. thanks for posting

poet Anonymous

Top 10, by Gene Ha and Alan Moore. Hill Street Blues on a world (Parallel Earth No. Ten) with a surfeit of science heroes and the like.

All the human elements, with gorgeous art.

AwakenedSea
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 7th May 2013
Forum Posts: 2

Didn’t know there was a book. Currently watching the show on Netflix and I love it. I’ll have to look into that one!

JiltedJohnny
Fire of Insight
Netherlands 3awards
Joined 8th Apr 2022
Forum Posts: 96

@Em-ily
Thank you for this suggestion!
Very nice!
Kind regards, Gus

robert43041
Viking
Tyrant of Words
Canada 43awards
Joined 30th July 2020

Presently reading  ''ich bin dein Tod'', German crime fiction novel byInge Löhnig, Berlin 2022.   Set in Munich and other small towns in Bavaria.  As in some other countries in Europe, prostitution is legal.  Thus I figured everything was on the ''up and up''. How naive.  it shows the ''trajectory'' of a 17 years old who is ''loved'' and called a ''princess'' by a fellow who turns out to be a drug dealer and a pimp, a guy who sells he to a bordello to pay his drug debts. She ends up a prostitute and a drug addict and eventyally dies of an overdose,   A very very very dark world in an otherwise idyllic setting.

Anthonydevol
Strange Creature
Joined 22nd Dec 2022
Forum Posts: 6

I’m audio listening to
No longer human-osamu Dazai

robert43041
Viking
Tyrant of Words
Canada 43awards
Joined 30th July 2020

Starting on Kaiser-Scharrn by Rita Falk;  in German, yes.  Another crime-fiction novel.  Love them.  PS: this one is  ''Ein Provinzkrimi'', so set in Bavaria where they have their own very colorful local language and idioms.  Sometimes difficult to decipher but I like to give it a try.

Go to page:
Go to: