Go to page:

What are some of your favourite short stories?

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021
Forum Posts: 395

Some of mine:

Galloping Foxley by Roald Dahl
The Haunted Doll’s House by MR James
The Terrapin by Patricia Highsmith
It Grows On You by Stephen King
A Temple of the Holy Ghost by Flannery O’Connor
Nine-Hundred Grandmothers by RA Lafferty
Ringing the Changes by Robert Aickman
Paperwork by Ruth Rendell

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

anything by Saki, to be honest, although Wodehouse and Christie wrote a fair few. and then there’s the Sherlock Holmes stories    ..

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Great choices:D I recently finished both Carry On, Jeeves and Blandings Castle and Elsewhere, and at this point have probably read most if not all of Christie’s stories.

dartford
Paul S...
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 29awards
Joined 13th June 2013
Forum Posts: 249

but if you haven’t, you should really read Saki. now there’s a bloke with a twist. imagine Wodehouse, only much more cynical.

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

I recently read Saki’s The Open Window, which was great.

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14456

I' d three anthologies for English in school. one for poetry, one for prose and one for short stories. I'd the short stories read in about 6 days

one I remember most was The potatoe gatherers by Brian Friel

I read books very fast. probably too fast. I suppose they're (books) were Ike Pringles
or Pringles wereike books

no matter and anyhow. I do remember the aformentioned short story. it focused on a bunch of lads in the back of a truck being brought to work. some of the lads, the newer ones were messing about, having a bit of craic n such whe the older lads didn't say much or move much. anyhow, short story shorter: on the way back the older lads, having conserved their energy were talking about going out in the town while the newer lads were fucked having spent all their energy

I suppose, on reflection. it's a lot like that even shorter story about an old bull and his son looking at a field full of cows

I started to read The coll doll and other short stories by Walther MacKen. surprised me a little because what I had read by him  up to that was very bleak, 'the silent people' for instance.

the short stories I read were decent enough. there was a lot of old Dublin slang , humor and such. didn't read a whole lot of them, wrong time

so yeah, I'd recommend both, if I still have The Coll doll  I'll send it over

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Please do! I think you’ve mentioned that book in convo before.

poet Anonymous

Off top of me head. Good thread.

Butterflies. Ian McEwan
Extraordinary Little Cough. Dylan Thomas
On the Etiquette of Eye Contact During Oral Sex. Toby Litt
The Landlady. Roald Dahl
With Your Tongue Down My Throat. Hanif Kureshi
Rockets Around the Moon. A M Homes

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Of that selection I’ve only read The Landlady. Thanks, I’ll look them up! Can you describe why you liked one (or more, if you’re so inclined) of them?

poet Anonymous

Raised on daily diet of vitamin c and Tales of the Unexpected. The twists were often disappointing and, well, expected. In print the themes resonate that little bit longer. It’s the juxtaposition of the ordinariness of The ‘Landlady’ characters against the strange fate of her guests. Similarly, ‘The Flypaper’ offers a chilling denouement.

It’s kind of obligatory to be Welsh and have an interest in ‘our Dylan.’ His poetry is often derided as “too rhetorical” (c/o far far greater critics than me) but it really works in his prose. He just has a beautiful touch in capturing landscapes and breadth of characters. Shame he was such a pisshead – could have written some of the greatest UK novels.

Ian McEwan & Toby Litt have been long time faves of mine and disturb and amuse respectively. McEwan’s first short story collection, First Love Last Rites, is a pretty fucked up view of 70’s urban England. A M Homes is equally macabre.

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

I agree with you about The Landlady. It was Dahl’s attempt at writing a ghost story (as stated in his introduction to a collection of ghost stories he curated), but as he put it it just didn’t come off in the end, and he had to make the threat non-supernatural.

Pinkdreams
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 17th Jan 2022
Forum Posts: 152

A few that come to mind:

The Sea Devil by Arthur Gordon
The Last Question by Isaac Asimov
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber
A Sound of Thunder by Ray Bradbury
Bullet in the Brain- Tobias Wolff

poet Anonymous

Think we are all a little bit like Walter Mitty. 'Billy Liar' (Keith Waterhouse novel & film) is similarly themed. Nice list.

This site provides free to read stories.

https://reedsy.com/discovery/blog/best-short-stories

Casted_Runes
Mr Karswell
Fire of Insight
England 5awards
Joined 4th Oct 2021

Thanks for that link, Rob, that’s awesome.

Pinkdreams
Fire of Insight
United States 2awards
Joined 17th Jan 2022
Forum Posts: 152

Reading The Veldt by Ray Bradbury right now. Thanks Rob, for the link to such a great site.

Go to page:
Go to: