poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I used to be too sensitive if my poems were critiqued harshly, especially if the critique stripped the poem to its bare bones. I have a better perspective toward critique now and I have taken onboard some and made changes ( not recently, I barely write now )  but I do welcome it. I  don't give critique because of the exact reason you have experienced Jack. There is no need to be rude when giving or receiving critique.

There is always the option to write critique requirements in the notes box before submitting a poem.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14648

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

That works, Andres. I can reach out privately as well as respond to your requests for private critique.

Many do prefer their critiques in private, and I have sent messages to those I feel intuitively would be embarassed by an open one ( despite their open request ). They are always very appreciative.

I prefer mine public so that others can learn two things: firstly, and most importantly, how to accept an honest critique graciously; and, secondly, viewing another's critique helps them learn how to critique. I don't mind making mistakes, even silly ones that I should not have made. It simply reveals I'm human and subject to the same fallibility as everyone else.

It's also often funny ( for me that is ). Those "Doh!" moments.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

Magdalena said:I used to be too sensitive if my poems were critiqued harshly, especially if the critique stripped the poem to its bare bones. I have a better perspective toward critique now and I have taken onboard some and made changes ( not recently, I barely write now )  but I do welcome it. I  don't give critique because of the exact reason you have experienced Jack. There is no need to be rude when giving or receiving critique.

There is always the option to write critique requirements in the notes box before submitting a poem.

Thank you for being honest To be fair, I used to be oversensitive and egotistical in response to honest critique I'd asked for too, but I was a teenager then People I've seen attacking criticism they've asked for include those twice my age.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

Thank you for being honest To be fair, I used to be oversensitive and egotistical in response to honest critique I'd asked for too, but I was a teenager then People I've seen attacking criticism they've asked for include those twice my age.

I think it's all part of growing as a writer Jack. I'm still not comfortable with critique of everything I write. I will ask for friendly critique then or none, sometimes I ask for honest critique and I'm up for that if it's good constructive suggestions.

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

Magdalena said:

I think it's all part of growing as a writer Jack. I'm still not comfortable with critique of everything I write. I will ask for friendly critique then or none, sometimes I ask for honest critique and I'm up for that if it's good constructive suggestions.

You're using the feedback function as it's supposed to be used, then, without bullshit.

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1781

The_Silly_Sibyl said:Why do people ask for it when, despite the warning to not if they can’t handle it, they clearly can’t handle it? Discuss

Hello Silly, I think for me I’ve always liked honest critique, especially coming from a place where I have no formal experience as a writer or even from reading poetry for that matter, outside of this site. Knowing that I have my own issues concerning structure, proper grammar, I most certainly appreciate the time it takes for somebody to critique something I’ve written, so that it could be better just from a simple tweak here or there.
So yeah for me I don’t take it anyway other than what it’s intended for. However there are some people who enjoy causing pain to other people for no other reason but to get a laugh and those type of comments are unnecessary and unwelcome. JMHO ☺️

lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
Palestine 67awards
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14458

I've always used the be honest thing. it has helped tremendously. I've also clicked onto people's comments on other people's poems. that also helped tremendously, probably more so

It helps a lot of you know the poet before commenting, for instance in the early days knowing Magda was a little sensitive and more so Indie who,ihope she doesn't mind me saying eas moved to tears by someone's comment

more than that though

shitty comments. I think it's part of the grand scheme. we are on the  internet statistically there's bound to be a percentage of dicks

that said, dicks grow too (on many levels)

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

You're using the feedback function as it's supposed to be used, then, without bullshit.

And that's what it's all about!  Now put your right foot in!

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Thanks, Andre! And please reach out if you want my eyes on one of your submissions. I'll be happy to share my thoughts.

Ljdynamic
Dangerous Mind
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 300

I would like honesty critiques.  I mean, I won't lie that my feelings may get hurt, but if it isn't being malicious then I can just use it to just make my writing better and move on.  Hope that the next one I write the same person can see the advice at play.  Idk.

I would like to learn to how to express to people how I like the stuff they've written.  Honestly don't know to leave something kind, or how to leave helpful advise.  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Ljdynamic said:I would like honesty critiques.  I mean, I won't lie that my feelings may get hurt, but if it isn't being malicious then I can just use it to just make my writing better and move on.  Hope that the next one I write the same person can see the advice at play.  Idk.

I would like to learn to how to express to people how I like the stuff they've written.  Honestly don't know to leave something kind, or how to leave helpful advise.  

If you're unsure of technicalities or poetic form, then simply express how the poem mad you feel, or how you could personally relate to it. Commenting isn't just about critiquing for improvement; it's also about relation and connection. Comments regarding personal feelings are just as important to a majority of poets as critical suggestions for improvement.

I prefer both myself.

Also, the best way to garner attention on your own work is to comment on the work of others.

LilDragonFly
Tyrant of Words
United States 69awards
Joined 22nd July 2017
Forum Posts: 96

I appreciate feedback when it is really genuine ... not just a way to stick it to someone ... I have been a part of many poetry workshops where we read each other's poems ... then ... like with all feedback the comments began with what was good about the poem ... then focused on areas for improvement ... never were the comments mean spirited or condescending ... I believe the serious poet is always striving for improvement ... but also appreciates support and encouragement ... my two cents ...

Ljdynamic
Dangerous Mind
United States 13awards
Joined 18th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 300

Awesome thanks for the replies.

Go to page:
Go to: