Dostoevsky's The Idiot

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

Ahavati said:Dostoevsky's The Idiot

And we’re off! Thank you, Aha! I’ll be back with the poll in just a moment.

Zazzles
Broomie
Tyrant of Words
United States 24awards
Joined 23rd Nov 2013
Forum Posts: 1779

The_Silly_Sibyl said:Hi, guys! Seeing as we don’t seem to have group meet ups on Skype/Zoom anymore, I thought that a nice no-pressure community thing to try would be a book club. No obligation if you do decide to try it, just read as much or as little of the chosen book as you want to, and share whatever thoughts you have on it.

How we choose the book of the month:

Nominate a book in a post on this thread. (Include the name of the author and choose books that are easily available/inexpensive, if possible.) Once we have 5 nominations excluding my own, so 6 in total, I’ll start a poll and whichever title gets the most votes after a week will be the one we’ll read.

Fancy giving it a whirl? I nominate The Tribe by Bari Wood. (Available in paperback and Kindle editions on Amazon.)

PS I’m not going to place restrictions on what you can choose, just use your common sense. i.e. Maybe think twice before recommending a book which needs a whole bunch of trigger warnings for stuff like child rape and murder.

Silly, Also maybe get the books from our local library ?  😀

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

Great idea, so long as your libraries remain open during the current lockdown measures. x

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

Well, the polls are now closed and bar a last minute march on Capitol Hill I can safely announce that the winner is...

The Book of Evidence by John Banville

So if you feel like participating get yourself a copy, whether library or bookshop or Kindle edition is up to you, and feel free to discuss.

From Wikipedia:

“The book is narrated by Freddie Montgomery, a 38-year-old scientist, who murders a servant girl during an attempt to steal a painting from a neighbour. Freddie is an aimless drifter, and though he is a perceptive observer of himself and his surroundings, he is largely amoral.”

So be prepared for a psychological crime story about guilt.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

That's awesome! ☺️

For anyone who's thinking of participating, it's really quite a great book, if you like Lolita you'll probably like this as well. I think I first heard about it in an old Christopher Hitchens cspan interview when he was asked about what he's reading atm,.. years later, when I noticed the title while browsing Latvia's National Library, I knew I had to read it, and have been wanting to reread it for quite some time now.

One of my fave quotes from the book:

"I have never really got used to being on earth. Sometimes I think our presence here is due to a cosmic blunder, that we were meant for another planet altogether, with other arrangements, and other laws, and other, grimmer skies. I try to imagine it, our true place, off on the far side of the galaxy, whirling and whirling. And the ones who were meant for here, are they out there, baffled and homesick, like us? No, they would have become extinct long ago. How could they survive, these gentle earthlings, in a world that was made to contain us?"

- John Banville, The Book of Evidence

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

could anyone post a link of where to buy/rent/steal it from?

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

thanks everyone x

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

Wow, I didn't realize it was so inexpensive. Thank you guys for the links as well

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

excited to start this this was such a great idea

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

I did actually vote for Book of Evidence, just because I remember it being endorsed by one of my favourite writers, Ruth Rendell, in a book she wrote called The Reasons Why, collating passages about the act of murder from various works of literature, from scripture to novels and non-fiction.

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015

That's pretty cool Jack, that you voted for my choice. I agree with Anna that this is an awesome idea 🙌☺️

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

so... when do we start chapter one? can we have a book club discussion thread, or a group? i love a good murder book

Go to page:
Go to: