Go to page:

Deep Underground Book Club

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

I’ve not read any but been interested in starting one of those for a little while just because they seem to mix two of my favourite genres, fantasy and the classic noir-ish detective story.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

commenting to remind myself to bring this back to life

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

Anyone have anything to say about the book? The Book of Evidence by John Banville.

SpencerFarrell
Strange Creature
Joined 30th Mar 2021
Forum Posts: 1

I'm currently studying A Knock At Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr., New York: IPM in Association with Warner Books, 1998. This is top. And in this regard, I have a useful recommendation for you https://ghostwritingcorp.com/examples/martin-luther-king/, here you can study an interesting selection about biography of Martin Luther King, this will definitely be important for understanding all the main points the book that I wrote above.

ellisael
Strange Creature
Joined 21st May 2021
Forum Posts: 3

Ahavati said:Jack I'm knee-deep in NaPo prep and classes right now ( I'm reading five different books currently on Shamanism etc. ), but love this idea. I look forward to participating in the future, and will be watching and supporting. 📚💛💙💚

Wow 5 different books on shamanism sounds like a deep dive into the topic- deeply fascinating.

Additionally, I would like to suggest for the book club, Exit West  by Mohsin Hamid. It is truly a great read. Looking forward to the poll!!

senid
Twisted Dreamer
United States
Joined 8th May 2021
Forum Posts: 3

I adore reading, and writing! Happy to talk about books or reading with anyone that wants. I tend to be reading a bunch of books at one time. This year my goal is to always be reading a book of poetry and a book about writing. I am not very familiar with other poets, and I'm always curious about what people think about writing.

Currently reading:
Fantasy: A Crown of Thorns (book 7 of WoT), by Robert Jordan
Related to poets: Walt Whitman's America: A Cultural Biography, by David S. Reynolds
Poetry: Making Certain it Goes On: The Collected Poems of Richard Hugo
About writing: The Poet's Work, edited by Reginald Gibbons

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

Hi, guys! I’ve just discovered these recent comments. I thought that this thread had died a death, so it’s good to know there’s still interest. The first book chosen for this thread might have been a little heavy going for people to commit to reading and discussing, so why don’t we do a poetry collection this time? That way you can dip in and out of the book at your leisure and share your thoughts on particular poems.

Based on senid’s comment I’ll add Making Certain It Goes On: The Collected Poems of Richard Hugo, and as my own suggestion
The Collected Poems and Drawings of Stevie Smith.

(These editions can be prohibitively expensive, so don’t worry if you can’t get them. Any collection of the author’s poetry will do, or you can even just look up digital archives of them for free on the web.)

I won’t include this in the poll, but as a prose alternative based on ellisael’s suggestion you can also read and discuss Exit West by Mohsin Hamid, the 2017 novel of emigration and refugee life by the Pakistani author. Finally, as a non-fiction alternative, you can try SpencerFarrell’s choice, A Knock At Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

That leaves three spots for poetry book suggestions open, as I think that five options are probably enough? So if you’re interested, get suggesting! I’ll be picking the first 3 suggestions made. Only a couple of rules: make sure it’s a poetry book by someone other than yourself or one of your mates, and try not to pick anything that’s liable to require a ton of trigger warnings for abuse, racism, homophobia, etc.

(One caveat: a lot of classical and ancient poetry deals with subjects like rape and murder, so I’m not going to say no if you nominate, say, Ovid’s Metamorphoses. Just try to avoid the really graphic stuff when choosing a poetry book.)

Go to page:
Go to: