Go to page:

Deep Underground Book Club

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015
Forum Posts: 687

Hi, guys! Seeing as we don’t seem to have group meet ups on Skype/Zoom anymore, I thought that a nice no-pressure community thing to try would be a book club. No obligation if you do decide to try it, just read as much or as little of the chosen book as you want to, and share whatever thoughts you have on it.

How we choose the book of the month:

Nominate a book in a post on this thread. (Include the name of the author and choose books that are easily available/inexpensive, if possible.) Once we have 5 nominations excluding my own, so 6 in total, I’ll start a poll and whichever title gets the most votes after a week will be the one we’ll read.

Fancy giving it a whirl? I nominate The Tribe by Bari Wood. (Available in paperback and Kindle editions on Amazon.)

PS I’m not going to place restrictions on what you can choose, just use your common sense. i.e. Maybe think twice before recommending a book which needs a whole bunch of trigger warnings for stuff like child rape and murder.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 3367

i love this idea. i nominate mary gatskill, bad behaviour, because ive already started it and id like to finish it

poet Anonymous

anna_grin said:i love this idea. i nominate mary gatskill, bad behaviour, because ive already started it and id like to finish it

me too....would it be possible to recommend good online (independent) booksellers too where we could buy the book ...outside of amazon-and its black-hole soul-sucking pit of hell

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

Oo.. Great idea.

Edit: Hmm..okei, I guess I would nominate The Book of Evidence by John Banville

<3

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

It doesn't have to be a new book, it can be any book! Should I count your nomination as The Book of Evidence?

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

nomoth said:

me too....would it be possible to recommend good online (independent) booksellers too where we could buy the book ...outside of amazon-and its black-hole soul-sucking pit of hell

haha That’s absolutely fine. Just make sure the seller is inexpensive and easily available. I just use Amazon because I don't know any better!

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

nomoth said:

i am sorry, i got it as a gift, so im not sure... but ive found abebooks to be good for a bargain at least, theyre all secondhand.

edit: this is better a quick google helps everything https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/category/all?search=Mary%20Gaitskill

Umm
Dangerous Mind
Latvia 1awards
Joined 6th Dec 2015
Forum Posts: 2373

The_Silly_Sibyl said:It doesn't have to be a new book, it can be any book! Should I count your nomination as The Book of Evidence?

Yes c:

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

anna_grin said:i love this idea. i nominate mary gatskill, bad behaviour, because ive already started it and id like to finish it

Good choice! I remember reading that one years ago, after watching the movie Secretary.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

Good choice! I remember reading that one years ago, after watching the movie Secretary.

funny enough ive never seen the movie but i love the book so far

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

anna_grin said:

funny enough ive never seen the movie but i love the book so far

The movie turns the story into more of a straightforward romance, as Hollywood movies tend to do.

anna_grin
ANNAN
Dangerous Mind
15awards
Joined 24th Mar 2013

The_Silly_Sibyl said:

The movie turns the story into more of a straightforward romance, as Hollywood movies tend to do.

blech i may not bother, then

The_Silly_Sibyl
Jack Thomas
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 2awards
Joined 30th July 2015

So far we have nominated:

The Tribe by Bari Wood
The Book of Evidence by John Banville
Bad Behaviour by Mary Gaitskill

Just 3 more to go and we have a poll!

poet Anonymous

anna_grin said:

i am sorry, i got it as a gift, so im not sure... but ive found abebooks to be good for a bargain at least, theyre all secondhand.

edit: this is better a quick google helps everything https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/category/all?search=Mary%20Gaitskill

Thanks anna...i probably sounded a bit righteous in my hatred...it wasnt intended...but i do hate them so much and i know bookshops are really struggling.

I propose David Mitchell's Utopia Avenue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_Avenue

edit: the best price is from waterstones i can find for now

https://www.waterstones.com/book/utopia-avenue/david-mitchell/9781444799477

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14145

Jack I'm knee-deep in NaPo prep and classes right now ( I'm reading five different books currently on Shamanism etc. ), but love this idea. I look forward to participating in the future, and will be watching and supporting. 📚💛💙💚

Go to page:
Go to: