How to do you listen to spoken word, poetry and music?

30.77% • 4 votes • 3. a) I most often use my headphones when listening to poetry, spoken word and music
15.38% • 2 votes • 1. a) I prefer to use my headphones when I listen to poetry
15.38% • 2 votes • 2. a) I prefer to use my headphones when I listen to music
15.38% • 2 votes • 2. b) I prefer to use my speaker system when I listen to music
7.69% • 1 vote • 1. b) I prefer to use my speaker system when I listen to poetry
7.69% • 1 vote • 3. b) I most often use my speaker system when listening to poetry, spoken word and music
7.69% • 1 vote • 4. This poll is confusing as [insert profanity here]
Total votes: 13
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Page:

How to do you listen to spoken word, poetry and music?

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013
Forum Posts: 2077

High-Fidelity Sound - A Headphones Theory

My theory is poetry is a personal experience, and unlike music which is played loud and proud booming from sound systems, people prefer to wear their headphones when listening to spoken word poetry.

The poll is multiple choice with the responses broken up into three parts, so choose one answer for each part.

For example:
First choose either 1. a) or 1. b)
Then choose either 2. a) or 2. b)
And then choose either 3. a) or 3. b)...
or if you think the poll sucks and is too confusing, you can always choose option 4.

I've posted a technical discussion in the Loud-Speaker Poetry group about a theory on audio mixing spoken word with music, debating the use of headphones during the mixing process.  If you're interested in recording spoken word and want to take part in the discussion, please feel free to join the Loud-Speaker Poetry group.

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014
Forum Posts: 2079

To be different...I like to read poetry...out loud so tend not to 'listen' to it. Showing my age? 😉

Since finding 8D+ audio headphones are the only way to go.

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

seekingkate said:To be different...I like to read poetry...out loud so tend not to 'listen' to it. Showing my age? 😉

Since finding 8D+ audio headphones are the only way to go.

Hi Kate!  I believe you spelt difficult incorrectly.  Yes, I'm aware you can read and that you have a fantastic voice for spoken word.  You gotta love those Aussie accents!

The aim of the poll is to work out how people listen to spoken word for the purpose of a technical discussion in Loud-Speaker... so unfortunately I didn't think to include option 5. I like the sound of my own voice... :P

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014

case28 said:

Hi Kate!  I believe you spelt difficult incorrectly.  Yes, I'm aware you can read and that you have a fantastic voice for spoken word.  You gotta love those Aussie accents!

The aim of the poll is to work out how people listen to spoken word for the purpose of a technical discussion in Loud-Speaker... so unfortunately I didn't think to include option 5. I like the sound of my own voice... :P

Man you nailed that!  Get out of my head! 🤣🤣

case28
Alexander Case
Dangerous Mind
42awards
Joined 16th June 2013

Well, I've pretty much killed this thread.  I've confused the fuck out of the punters and I've offended the first member to post a comment.  It's good to be back on DU!

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

I record my audio's without headphones, I then mix in music and do edits without headphones, amplify up so it sounds loud enough to listen to on speakers, but not too loud that it vibrates through headphones. I listen back through headphones and on speakers before saving my work.  I've only been doing that the past year or so. Always learning.

I prefer to listen to everything through headphones.

Great subject Mr Case.

seekingkate
kateA
Tyrant of Words
Australia 28awards
Joined 20th May 2014

Never offended by you case! 😘

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

Thanks for posting this subject on Loud-Speaker, Case.

Personally I like my music and my poetry to come through my speakers. I think that’s why I like vinyl so much, because it’s that raw, unadulterated experience with you and the music. Sorry to sound like a pretentious music snob.

No fucks given. None.

Poetry for me, I also prefer through speakers. I have this personal connection, especially since starting to perform my pieces publicly, that once they are heard out loud they belong to the world. Poetry was made to be spoken out loud. It was originally an oral tradition as mentioned above.

Headphones are merely a method of convenience when I am out and about. It’s not my preferred choice however.  

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>

Yes it’s something I’m familiar with also. One too many Slayer gigs...

Page:
Go to: