poetry points of view

DoomMantra
DoomMantra
Lost Thinker
United States
  profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Feb 2020
Forum Posts: 12

I like to write from different perspectives. A lot of my stuff is personal though embellished and exaggerated for that dark and edgy effect. Some stuff is entirely fictional or based on dreams I've had. I think being able to write on different topics and from different perspectives keeps things fresh.

And yes, I realize that this is a very old thread, lol. My bad.

poet Anonymous

I write a lot from experience, but as someone who also writes fiction lately I've been leaning into poetry that takes a more fictional approach, or get into the head of a character and then write poetry for them. It's made the whole thing a lot more interesting, and helps with empathy in my opinion, to write poetry in particular from the perspective of someone not yourself.

lonelyking
lonelyking
McPan
Strange Creature
Joined 15th Apr 2020
Forum Posts: 2

I am looking for connoisseurs of poetry who are not afraid to crticize. If you're out there and really not afraid to speak your minds then make sure you follow me as a poet. Right now, I am a new member of this website so you're going to have to be patient. Thank you very much.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Grace
Grace
Idryad
Guardian of Shadows
111awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Aug 2011
Forum Posts: 14394

My writes are mostly fictional but taken from happenings around me. For instance a child walking alone makes me think who's she? Where's her parents. I can either write on the child's perspective or an onlooker.  So little things around me, my thoughts and even past experience can inspire me to write a poem or a short story.  It's fiction based on something.  There are however writes on personal feelings  in my writes; writing them out can be helpful.🙂
Never studied poetry formally, I don't think many people do that...I think. It's love of words; of creating something out of mere words that interest me. 🙂

bushrabilal238
bushrabilal238
Strange Creature
Joined 12th Sep 2020
Forum Posts: 8

butters said:

i'm sure we all use something from inside that connects us to the poem, but that encouragement to write from different viewpoints helps broaden our perceptual horizons *nods*. it also helps build empathy and understanding by encouraging us to recognise how others view this world we share in very different ways. gets us beyond our own id's parameters.

for me, it's not an uncommon experience to dream as within a different person, no limits to gender or age; sometimes i'm 'that person' mentally, sometimes i'm me but in their body looking out, sometimes i'm a passenger (sometimes the one in charge, sometimes in the back of their brain, experiencing what they are but not instructing/directing). that spills over into my waking world and often have been thought to be sat on a fence when, really, i am looking at both/all sides of an issue to try and best understand it. that seems to naturally fit in with writing as i can slip into different skins (the poems' skins) and write as their voice, tethered, though, in most cases by that connection to my own id.

Go to page:
Go to: