Go to page:

poetry points of view

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

how many of us write from entirely personal perspectives? do all your poems reflect how you think about a subject matter? do you embrace writing from 'behind the eyes' or 'in the thoughts' of another character?

my own stuff can be from almost any point of view, mostly that of the poem, though many do reflect my core beliefs. but because not everyone writes the same, i always look at the poem as not necessarily a 'real-life' experience of the poet unless told differently.

when you read a piece, do you automatically assign those trials and tribulations, emotional highs and lows, to their authors?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

butters said:how many of us write from entirely personal perspectives? do all your poems reflect how you think about a subject matter? do you embrace writing from 'behind the eyes' or 'in the thoughts' of another character?

my own stuff can be from almost any point of view, mostly that of the poem, though many do reflect my core beliefs. but because not everyone writes the same, i always look at the poem as not necessarily a 'real-life' experience of the poet unless told differently.

when you read a piece, do you automatically assign those trials and tribulations, emotional highs and lows, to their authors?

It's only recent years that I've leaned towards writing about personal experiences or from a personal perspective and away from what was mostly fictional.

I tend to be inspired by what is going on around me, making a story out of it from a detached perspective and hope it somehow leaves a mark with its message, craftsmanship or both.

If you are affected by whatever I wrote, its for your own reasons.  If you were uplifted or moved, it's likely because you were at the right place at the right time in your life to receive the message. If you were outraged and somehow vocal about it, well ... it's debatable whether you were moved or simply crave drama for attention's sake.  

The additional accounts listed in my profile ( as necessitated by site rules for any of you having multiple profiles ) began as a means of encouraging thinking outside the box, even if it was simply tackling the same idea or subject matter from different angles. Those personas existed long before I arrived at DUP in 2014.

For example, your Same Title comp. It's a breeze for me to write about something from several vantage points. I could do it all day - but there is only so much time in a day to dip into alternative perspectives or be other people.

Whenever I read others, I do not assume each poem is a personal piece. I think that is a disservice to the writer.  If you don't think they are capable of branching out or evolving, then you are selling them and yourself short. Some writers may not care if you do, because it happens so often to them. Some writers may even exploit that, so be wary - Let's see how many people I can make feel sorry for me today ...

poet Anonymous

butters said:how many of us write from entirely personal perspectives? do all your poems reflect how you think about a subject matter? do you embrace writing from 'behind the eyes' or 'in the thoughts' of another character?

I think to truly connect with your poetry and to translate that out into the wider world, there has to be a connection between you and the words. I believe that even when writing fantasy of dystopian things, they still reflect that inner world somehow. So my writing is very much a reflection of what I am seeing, thinking, feeling and processing. That’s not to say everyone does, but that’s how I roll.

#SpeakYourTruth as is the motto of my work.

When I read another I try not to automatically assume anything if I’m honest, because to do that means there is a certain level of judgement I’m just not comfortable with in poetry. I read the words, see how they connect with me. Then I think about what they may be about, or more importantly, what this human is trying to say and put out into the world. Maybe they just need to be heard so digesting a poem first and foremost is the biggest service to the author.

It’s a terrible thing to assume anything, really. Applicable in lots of things in life I guess.

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

In the main I write directly from the heart and with memories of what I have experienced. I do write from different perspective and many times I have played devil’s advocate and written as a provocateur. For example I followed the last USA election very closely. I wrote tributes or The Donald and separate pomes attributing Hilary. In all honesty I wouldn't have voted for either.

I also write children’s poems try to be childlike in writing them and have attempted to write a few times from a female perspective. My sense of humour is my shield has been since I was about 8 and it leads me to write comedic poems.

I only read other poets whose words inspire and cause any kind of emotional response, good or bad.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Excellent topic Miss Butters.
Most often when we read others work we assume its personal unless its noted.
My own work its 50% personal and/or personal observational.
25% completely fiction and the other 25% its from a different perspective or persona.
The different perspective was something that was encouraged by RevolutionaryAl about a year ago, on letter writing from one poet to another, different eras from different countries which i had absolute fun "corresponding" in series of poems as letters and i believe it brought out certain energy, muse and creativity.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Layla said:Excellent topic Miss Butters.
Most often when we read others work we assume its personal unless its noted.
My own work its 50% personal and/or personal observational.
25% completely fiction and the other 25% its from a different perspective or persona.
The different perspective was something that was encouraged by RevolutionaryAl about a year ago, on letter writing from one poet to another, different eras from different countries which i had absolute fun "corresponding" in series of poems as letters and i believe it brought out certain energy, muse and creativity.

i'm sure we all use something from inside that connects us to the poem, but that encouragement to write from different viewpoints helps broaden our perceptual horizons *nods*. it also helps build empathy and understanding by encouraging us to recognise how others view this world we share in very different ways. gets us beyond our own id's parameters.

for me, it's not an uncommon experience to dream as within a different person, no limits to gender or age; sometimes i'm 'that person' mentally, sometimes i'm me but in their body looking out, sometimes i'm a passenger (sometimes the one in charge, sometimes in the back of their brain, experiencing what they are but not instructing/directing). that spills over into my waking world and often have been thought to be sat on a fence when, really, i am looking at both/all sides of an issue to try and best understand it. that seems to naturally fit in with writing as i can slip into different skins (the poems' skins) and write as their voice, tethered, though, in most cases by that connection to my own id.

DEADMAN
Strange Creature
United States
Joined 2nd Dec 2019
Forum Posts: 3

my writing is complete sublimation. that is, i write out my own neuroticism in hopes to feel better as a result.

so yes, personal. selfish. largely ineffective.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

DEADMAN said:my writing is complete sublimation. that is, i write out my own neuroticism in hopes to feel better as a result.

aw, sorry it's not as effective as you'd wish!

it can be a useful exercise, helpful for some, to attempt to write from an entirely new perspective; it can free areas of creativity we might not allow escape when limiting ourselves to us alone. works for some, not so well for others :)

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 889

DEADMAN said:my writing is complete sublimation. that is, i write out my own neuroticism in hopes to feel better as a result.

I write poetry entirely as catharsis for what ails me.  That’s it.  I have no aspirations beyond that.  It’s lovely when it resonates with another human being, and that’s why I put it out there; but it serves no creative purpose for me other than to exorcise and exercise the demons. I make other art that fills my need for technical execution of a craft, this is just for therapy.  

drone
Tyrant of Words
Greece 10awards
Joined 3rd Sep 2011
Forum Posts: 2255

For me
myself
and I
our poetry
most of our poetry
is nothing more
and nothing less
then being a farmer
sowing seeds
be they fall
on barren land
or fertile land
so shall it be
we rolled the dice
we have thrown the seeds
we wait
to see

David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

LunaGreyhawk said:

I write poetry entirely as catharsis for what ails me.  That’s it.  I have no aspirations beyond that.  It’s lovely when it resonates with another human being, and that’s why I put it out there; but it serves no creative purpose for me other than to exorcise and exercise the demons. I make other art that fills my need for technical execution of a craft, this is just for therapy.  

I have been writing poetry of and on since I was 15. For the first 40years, it never saw the light of day. I wrote it just for me and me alone and it was 95% as a therapy. It is only in the last 10 years the I have spread my wings to include the many motives and possibilities. Probably around 50% of what I still write is a personal outpouring but I now enjoy writing in other genres

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 889

David_Macleod said:

I have been writing poetry of and on since I was 15. For the first 40years, it never saw the light of day. I wrote it just for me and me alone and it was 95% as a therapy. It is only in the last 10 years the I have spread my wings to include the many motives and possibilities. Probably around 50% of what I still write is a personal outpouring but I now enjoy writing in other genres

I think that I’m reaching a point where it might be time to expand my inner dialogue a bit, and I’ve recently taken on a few writing challenges that were outside my normal voice.  They were awful, completely elementary writes; but it gave me an entirely different perspective on my writing process.  It’s a bit like exercise, I suppose - the more you do it, the easier it is.  

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

LunaGreyhawk said:

I think that I’m reaching a point where it might be time to expand my inner dialogue a bit, and I’ve recently taken on a few writing challenges that were outside my normal voice.  They were awful, completely elementary writes; but it gave me an entirely different perspective on my writing process.  It’s a bit like exercise, I suppose - the more you do it, the easier it is.  
there are steps along the path most of us reach--doesn't matter how long it takes us to get there, we generally do get there one of those is writing from a broader perspective; i believe it helps us understand and empathise more deeply with human natures different to our own.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>i love how poetry comes from all angles and takes us off in so many tangents

Go to page:
Go to: