Go to page:

the emotional rollercoaster of reading poetry...

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 854

i only really have this as a reader; when i put on my crit or copy-ed heads it doesn't happen... i'm already viewing it through a whole different tele/micro scope. it was the same when having to take shakespeare apart in school (or others); it spoiled my enjoyment of a poem as a reader but stood me good stead in understanding some of the mechanics of good poetry. what annoyed me then, serves to protect me now, but then we can't go through life being protected all the time either! guess i have to pace myself.

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Fire of Insight
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 578

butters said:i only really have this as a reader; when i put on my crit or copy-ed heads it doesn't happen... i'm already viewing it through a whole different tele/micro scope. it was the same when having to take shakespeare apart in school (or others); it spoiled my enjoyment of a poem as a reader but stood me good stead in understanding some of the mechanics of good poetry. what annoyed me then, serves to protect me now, but then we can't go through life being protected all the time either! guess i have to pace myself.

Pretty insightful.

I chew gum.

No joke!

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

EdibleWords said:

Pretty insightful.

I chew gum.

No joke!
so is it the repetitive, non-thinking actions of chewing that provides a sense of... whatever it is i'm trying to ask? the smartarse inside was saying 'it's bubblegum... provides a bubble, like a force field' but the logical thinking is saying repetitive actions can be stress-relievers, like face-touching or a child stroking its blanket.

k, trying to hone in on what i'm really trying to get at: is it the repetitive almost subconscious action of chewing that frees your conscious mind from emotional 'noise' ? kinda sorta?

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Fire of Insight
Joined 7th Jan 2018

butters said: so is it the repetitive, non-thinking actions of chewing that provides a sense of... whatever it is i'm trying to ask? the smartarse inside was saying 'it's bubblegum... provides a bubble, like a force field' but the logical thinking is saying repetitive actions can be stress-relievers, like face-touching or a child stroking its blanket.

k, trying to hone in on what i'm really trying to get at: is it the repetitive almost subconscious action of chewing that frees your conscious mind from emotional 'noise' ? kinda sorta?

You got it!

Makes me ground myself.

"Mindfulness" is a thing...

Look it up. It's good for easily triggered souls

Chewing gum is my fav

"Mindfulness"

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:Full empath here - the key is ground yourself.  When I first started visiting online poetry sites, I felt very overwhelmed and had to distance myself.  Now, I know the majority of poets I follow more intimately, so their poems are like reading chapters in their lives.  

Also, as energy transfers ( and it does ), protect yourself as well.  I burn particular incense geared toward repelling negativity. I also infuse my work area with various crystals that are recharged each full moon.  By the time negative energy makes its way through my grid it's a tame puppy I can transfer into positive.

DU is a very emotionally charged site housing various energies.  Once you recognize those energies, then you know how to receive ( or not ) without losing yourself or feeling too overwhelmed in the process.

returning to this: i don't find myself too affected by the online personas, drama and negativity/other emotional highs/lows.. it's just when i read the poetry. not sure how i can open myself fully to appreciate a poem's nuances (by making myself 'vulnerable' i guess) and not get 'hit'. if i close myself off i miss the best the poem has to offer. reading it with a critical eye/head isn't the same... still a most valuable exercise, but it is a walling myself off.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
17awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1649

butters said:returning to this: i don't find myself too affected by the online personas, drama and negativity/other emotional highs/lows.. it's just when i read the poetry. not sure how i can open myself fully to appreciate a poem's nuances (by making myself 'vulnerable' i guess) and not get 'hit'. if i close myself off i miss the best the poem has to offer. reading it with a critical eye/head isn't the same... still a most valuable exercise, but it is a walling myself off.

I suggest layers upon layers of tinfoil.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
79awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 4094

butters said:returning to this: i don't find myself too affected by the online personas, drama and negativity/other emotional highs/lows.. it's just when i read the poetry. not sure how i can open myself fully to appreciate a poem's nuances (by making myself 'vulnerable' i guess) and not get 'hit'. if i close myself off i miss the best the poem has to offer. reading it with a critical eye/head isn't the same... still a most valuable exercise, but it is a walling myself off.

Being grounded doesn't mean you wall yourself off.  On the contrary, you're completely open. . .just not to another's bullshit.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

Being grounded doesn't mean you wall yourself off.  On the contrary, you're completely open. . .just not to another's bullshit.
i wasn't suggesting grounding myself was that, A, lol, but rather it's a side-effect of me looking at poetry through a critical lens. that's why i try to read and enjoy a piece first as a reader before looking critically.

plenty of bullshit wherever one goes on the net; think i'm pretty much inured to it and it lacks the power to spoil my days

H likes to light a jos stick now and again... i do enjoy them.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:

I suggest layers upon layers of tinfoil.
*bites lip*

so, if i end up looking like the tin man whilst chewing wads of pink bubble-gum and burning incense i should be good to go?

H might have me certified :D

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

butters said:i wasn't suggesting grounding myself was that, A, lol, but rather it's a side-effect of me looking at poetry through a critical lens. that's why i try to read and enjoy a piece first as a reader before looking critically.

Grounding doesn't filter your view. Grounding is being firmly planted in your authentic self ( meaning one cannot infiltrate to the point of confusing or influencing your thoughts or views ).  It's imperative for an empath in order to mingle about anywhere with people.   No matter how strong we are ( and I'm pretty strong ), being empathic affects us moment to moment depending on the energy fluctuations around us.

JohnnyBlaze
JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States
17awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 1649

Okay. I have to amend what I said earlier.

When I read excellently crafted poetry with unique subject matter,

I get thoroughly JAZZED.  

EdibleWords
EdibleWords
Fire of Insight
Joined 7th Jan 2018

butters said:*bites lip*

so, if i end up looking like the tin man whilst chewing wads of pink bubble-gum and burning incense i should be good to go?

H might have me certified :D

Always aspartame free.

I felt bad after realizing I did not specify.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

EdibleWords said:

Always aspartame free.

I felt bad after realizing I did not specify.

LunaGreyhawk
LunaGreyhawk
Fire of Insight
United States
4awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 112

Ahavati said:

Grounding doesn't filter your view. Grounding is being firmly planted in your authentic self ( meaning one cannot infiltrate to the point of confusing or influencing your thoughts or views ).  It's imperative for an empath in order to mingle about anywhere with people.   No matter how strong we are ( and I'm pretty strong ), being empathic affects us moment to moment depending on the energy fluctuations around us.

I just came to second this.  Very well said, Ahavati 💜

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LunaGreyhawk said:

I just came to second this.  Very well said, Ahavati 💜

Go to page:
Go to: