Go to page:

the emotional rollercoaster of reading poetry...

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

when you come to a poetry site, spend time dipping into all the poets here, read the emotional blasts and manipulations, how does that leave you feeling?

for me, one poem may lift me high, the next--the floor drops away leaving me catching my breath; i am roiled by dark tides and blinded by light; one second, examining close-up the delicacy of an ice-crystaled leaf--the next, mired in the stinking guts of some horrific mind-beast.

it's kind of exhausting. rewarding, but exhausting, emotionally. sometimes it's too much and i need to distance myself from the input.

some writers, naturally, are more able to make that connection with a reader, but i'm the sort of person who'd be a hypnotist's dream subject, sooo easy to get into my head. i'm an emotional sponge, and soak up all the charged atmospheres till awash with them...just so, i easily fall 'into' poems, books too, and it's this mass of emotional/literary input that pounds my heart, hurts my brain, makes me so damned tired at times...

i KNOW there are empaths here, so it must be even worse for them.

how easy is it for YOU to fall into the poem, where you become a part of it? how do you deal with it all?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14621

Full empath here - the key is ground yourself.  When I first started visiting online poetry sites, I felt very overwhelmed and had to distance myself.  Now, I know the majority of poets I follow more intimately, so their poems are like reading chapters in their lives.  

Also, as energy transfers ( and it does ), protect yourself as well.  I burn particular incense geared toward repelling negativity. I also infuse my work area with various crystals that are recharged each full moon.  By the time negative energy makes its way through my grid it's a tame puppy I can transfer into positive.

DU is a very emotionally charged site housing various energies.  Once you recognize those energies, then you know how to receive ( or not ) without losing yourself or feeling too overwhelmed in the process.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

It can be very exhausting to write certain pieces when you do so from different perspectives and even identities like I've been accustomed to for many years.  

So in regards to doing a lot of reading, I can move in and out of everyone's shoes and situations rather unscathed. I'm so used to it already.

Then I can easily detach myself and perform another pass, focusing purely on the actual writing itself.

Some things can emotionally kick my ass, but reading is not one.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2294

Like my sister, Ahavati,
Full empath also.

It's true what i penned in my profile:
"  I write to Feel Less and I read to Feel more. "

I will go on days, weeks, months and even years (AllPoetry account) when i get overwhelmed with a flood of emotions.

I ground (i know how to ground and recharge -- i once was an Admin / Mod for a huge [80K] membership empath group on Facebook)
but still,
being a schizophrenic creates additional challenges and so for me,
staying away to interact (i still read in incognito mode)  and playing a large chunk of hours of speed chess sustains me.

Gosh, how i love all You seasoned writers
and marvel at the up and coming
but my passion is nurturing and helping the new spillers of ink.

Might be a hangover from when i used to teach Beginners' Chess when i taught at 14 elementary schools in the Phoenix (metro area), Arizona areas.

Or from the days of doing internship at a Child Development center when i was studying to be a Preschool Teacher.

But getting back to the gist of the original post
Fuck Yeah
it's draining

i must be a masochist
because i cry damn near ever day
sometimes several times
and yet i keep on coming back

Oooooooooooooooooor

i've come to love many here
and true friendship is not about
absence  

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:It can be very exhausting to write certain pieces when you do so from different perspectives and even identities like I've been accustomed to for many years.  

So in regards to doing a lot of reading, I can move in and out of everyone's shoes and situations rather unscathed. I'm so used to it already.

Then I can easily detach myself and perform another pass, focusing purely on the actual writing itself.

Some things can emotionally kick my ass, but reading is not one.

If there was a way to swap
I'd give You my " empath " curse
and You could give me the ability to read
and not be sometimes so fucked up
emotionally.

In a heart beat!!

Yeah, and i know i would not be able to heal others effectively but .............

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Tallen said:

If there was a way to swap
I'd give You my " empath " curse
and You could give me the ability to read
and not be sometimes so fucked up
emotionally.

In a heart beat!!

Yeah, and i know i would not be able to heal others effectively but .............

LOL If we switched bodies, we still both be fucked up somehow.  

You would just end up with my problems and I'd end up with yours.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:

LOL If we switched bodies, we still both be fucked up somehow.  

You would just end up with my problems and I'd end up with yours.

LOL -- i am not suggesting switching bodies

I'm certain i'm much older than You
(Ooooooo!!  Hey wait!  maybe that's not  a bad idea )

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

There will be no body-snatching switching unless I am made aware of it!  

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:There will be no body-snatching switching unless I am made aware of it!  

LOL! There is probably not enough cheese in my system to appease him anyway. 🍕🐁

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JohnnyBlaze said:

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

JohnnyBlaze said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, and i really love extra extra

sharp cheese

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, and i really love extra extra

sharp cheese

o O! Cabot's Seriously Sharp Cheddar is to die for. It's so sharp it crumbles!  The sharper the cheese the drier the wine!

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:

o O! Cabot's Seriously Sharp Cheddar is to die for. It's so sharp it crumbles!  The sharper the cheese the drier the wine!

Absooooooooooooooooulutly  

Yummmmmmmmmm

EdibleWords
Tyrant of Words
8awards
Joined 7th Jan 2018
Forum Posts: 2993

As a burned out empath, I can say sometimes I catch myself reading poetry but not.

Much like I catch myself "listening" but unable to hear.

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 888

Empath here, as well.  It’s a bit much sometimes, so I read as I am able, and I know certain poets are safe for me to enjoy without worry.  It can be hard to come in and read without some kind of grounding exercise beforehand.  Leaves me feeling full of stuff that doesn’t belong to me, and trust, I’m full up already 😅.

Go to page:
Go to: