Go to page:

how do you 'free the poem'?

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Ahavati said:

That's the gift, isn't it?  The curse is knowing when no one else does, and not being able to prove it.

Butters, if I can come up with adequate words I will explain.  It may be something to just experience.
k,thanks... it's a fascinating topic (to me, at least, for now )

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:

I guess I see myself as a builder more than anything; I'm putting all this stuff together with tricks of the trade I've picked up over the years.
your building's come on so far :D

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

I've have a KICK ASS trainer who keeps me on my toes and in tip top shape.

butters said:your building's come on so far :D

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:I've have a KICK ASS trainer who keeps me on my toes and in tip top shape.

good stuff *nods*

H still has me wading through ponds of soggy apostrophes dotted here and there, tadpole-ing in all the wrong places. that's fine, i wouldn't want his creativity to be hampered by worrying about that stuff when i can clean it up for him afterwards. he still argues over some of them, though , posts before getting me to check for him, and that's when i have to get bossy

cabcool
Guardian of Shadows
Jamaica 12awards
Joined 27th Feb 2014
Forum Posts: 740

I'm a latecomer to this; nevertheless, I would say a word or two.
Sometimes I feel that poetry frees me, rather than I freeing poetry.
When a poetic idea grabs me in my bed, I have to jump up and scribble away.

Nearly every night this year, I've hatched a poem before going to sleep sometime between 12:30 and 3:30 a.m.  Some I finish right away; others emerge over a day or two.  I am currently following three modalities:
(a) spontaneous poems that arrest me any time they want to (I'm the prisoner, not the poem);
(b) INKlings (as in duck/ducklings, "little inks"), my own creation, in which I write on a fixed pattern from an unflagging flow of inspiration; and
(c) octets, which also follow a (traditional) fixed pattern and its variations, which I can do with my eyes closed.

cab

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

cabcool said:I'm a latecomer to this; nevertheless, I would say a word or two.
Sometimes I feel that poetry frees me, rather than I freeing poetry.
When a poetic idea grabs me in my bed, I have to jump up and scribble away.

Nearly every night this year, I've hatched a poem before going to sleep sometime between 12:30 and 3:30 a.m.  Some I finish right away; others emerge over a day or two.  I am currently following three modalities:
(a) spontaneous poems that arrest me any time they want to (I'm the prisoner, not the poem);
(b) INKlings (as in duck/ducklings, "little inks"), my own creation, in which I write on a fixed pattern from an unflagging flow of inspiration; and
(c) octets, which also follow a (traditional) fixed pattern and its variations, which I can do with my eyes closed.

cab
never too late, cabcool it's here as long as anyone cares to reply to it

lol, i've even written about that first of yours... i cannot write the poem, the poem writes me. quite a long time ago, now. they do still happen that way, sometimes

INKlings.. that's so freakin' cute. love it as a name. so these are you determining the form/original idea but opening yourself you become conduit? did i understand that right?

your octets: is this where you control content as much as form? so  more in the line of what i'd call 'head' poetry; the other stuff that bubbles up, virtually writes itself, is 'heart poetry' in my terminolody

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14269

JohnnyBlaze said:I've have a KICK ASS trainer who keeps me on my toes and in tip top shape.

Yes; and I adore him.

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5572

Ahavati said:

Yes; and I adore him.

Awwwwwws! ❤

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

get a room, you two

*sigh* ain't love grand?

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14269

butters said:get a room, you two

*sigh* ain't love grand?

What be yon light shining brightly, dear? Is it the North Star guiding our steps? Or Motel 6 leaving the light on?  

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

What be yon light shining brightly, dear? Is it the North Star guiding our steps? Or Motel 6 leaving the light on?  

poet Anonymous

When I focus on what's brewing inside me, I write angsty nonsensical bullshit. Shit I'd expect a high school dropout would enjoy if he could read. My best writing is taking experiences that happen to or around me that carry a level of meaning for me. This gets me out of my own way, keeping me clear of shit poetry, and it also has a strong personal connection to me, so my voice remains strong and the tone is mine.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
poet Anonymous

I quite agree!  Ideally, there is a Tao to a poem...each word carefully tied to the next.  Thanks for reminding me, Dhyana!

Go to page:
Go to: