Go to page:

do you write because you're a Writer, or a Creative?

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2295

butters said:

soooo, would you think there's a label that suits you better, writer or creative, or it's not anything you think is worth musing over?

(yay! old keyboard back on, i can now shift-key!)

I believe i am a creative

You never mentioned inventing stuff but i believe the skill relates..........

i've invented many things but because the $$$ was never my interest or goal, many of my stuff is being used (today) by friends or people who i thought might benefit from it.

& beeeeeeeeeeeeeeelieve or not, there are a few inventions that have been massed produced and used today probably by people (or their heirs) who took my invention that i built and gifted to them and they claimed as their invention.  

I don't really care because many are benefitting.

So OK, yeah,

i am a creative

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Tallen said:

I believe i am a creative

You never mentioned inventing stuff but i believe the skill relates..........

i've invented many things but because the $$$ was never my interest or goal, many of my stuff is being used (today) by friends or people who i thought might benefit from it.

& beeeeeeeeeeeeeeelieve or not, there are a few inventions that have been massed produced and used today probably by people (or their heirs) who took my invention that i built and gifted to them and they claimed as their invention.  

I don't really care because many are benefitting.

So OK, yeah,

i am a creative

lol yes! it counts bigly

and, yes, i believe you. you're an altruist and those profiting from you wihtou kicking back are... hmmn...people taking advantage. i applaud your ethics, though. shame someone's profiting from a creation you gave away free in order to help someone else.

fellow creative, hah, we could start a club but i'm too lazy to make the sandwiches

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2295

butters said:
lol yes! it counts bigly

and, yes, i believe you. you're an altruist and those profiting from you wihtou kicking back are... hmmn...people taking advantage. i applaud your ethics, though. shame someone's profiting from a creation you gave away free in order to help someone else.

fellow creative, hah, we could start a club but i'm too lazy to make the sandwiches

Damn!
I too, am too indolent to be making the sandwiches.  
We should just order a pizza, then  

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Tallen said:

Damn!
I too, am too indolent to be making the sandwiches.  
We should just order a pizza, then  
count. me. in :D

poet Anonymous

butters said:was just answering a question on the other thread and it gave me pause for thought: i write, but i'm often described as a 'great reader'—and i often think i read better than i write. BUT, my point is about the act of creating, not just writing.
edit: added bold-text to the relevant part of this first paragraph to clarify since it might be seen as confusing.

if you're the kind of person who creates—and takes the deepest life-satisfaction in the doing so—do you write just as another outlet of that? some of us, i guess, write and maybe do a bit of baking, or gardening, but writing is the sole real focus of the act of creating. others, create in all manner of ways, one of which is writing... not that writing's not really important, vital, even, to our mental well-being.

maybe the best writers are like the best artists, consumed within the one main focus of their creativity and not sharing that force with other outlets. maybe that's bull. i don't know, just wondering aloud. i'm maybe more Creative than Writer. i suppose it really doesn't matter, but it struck me as i sit here sipping coffee.

what do YOU think about this?

Evenin’

I’m fully aware that everything I say these days comes back to my Druidry, but it’s such a huge part of my life now, the whole purpose is to keep learning from it which is what I’m about to explain now in a really long winded way.

So in Druidry, there is a concept called the Awen, which has also become the symbol for the Neo-Druidic movement. Awen is a welsh word, which roughly translated means “flowing spirit” and is said to be the inspiration of the Bard. The life-blood of everything.

For Awen to exist, there must be a relationship— with nature, with yourself & your energy, and with your creativity. Awen is the opening of the self, and all of the expressions of the self whatever that may entail. We cannot be inspired unless we are open, and we cannot be open unless we have established a relationship, whether that is with yourself, the sparrow or a god.

My relationship with Awen is progressive — meaning that I am creative in many different ways. I’m very much into crafts whether it be stitching, glueing or burning. Pyrography is by far my favourite thing because it allows me to get up close and personal with the trees and the wood that I love. I’ve been lucky enough to sell a few pieces which is awesome. Each piece has taught me something on a subconscious level, even if I wasn’t aware of the lesson at the time.

I guess writing comes in for me, not just because I’m a Pisces, and the airy-fairy dreamy creative hippy type, but because writing is a call in my soul to process the world around me, and also honours the Bards of old of which we work with so closely in this tradition.

You said in your post about the best writers perhaps being consumed by one main thing — I don’t believe that to be true. I am consumed by many things, and in a really interconnected way, each activity inspires a new perspective in another.

Perhaps the lesson is being open to hear what each activity has to teach rather than restricting our output to one unique path. We should always honour the call of what our souls require.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Miss_Sub said:

Evenin’

I’m fully aware that everything I say these days comes back to my Druidry, but it’s such a huge part of my life now, the whole purpose is to keep learning from it which is what I’m about to explain now in a really long winded way.

So in Druidry, there is a concept called the Awen, which has also become the symbol for the Neo-Druidic movement. Awen is a welsh word, which roughly translated means “flowing spirit” and is said to be the inspiration of the Bard. The life-blood of everything.

For Awen to exist, there must be a relationship— with nature, with yourself & your energy, and with your creativity. Awen is the opening of the self, and all of the expressions of the self whatever that may entail. We cannot be inspired unless we are open, and we cannot be open unless we have established a relationship, whether that is with yourself, the sparrow or a god.

My relationship with Awen is progressive — meaning that I am creative in many different ways. I’m very much into crafts whether it be stitching, glueing or burning. Pyrography is by far my favourite thing because it allows me to get up close and personal with the trees and the wood that I love. I’ve been lucky enough to sell a few pieces which is awesome. Each piece has taught me something on a subconscious level, even if I wasn’t aware of the lesson at the time.

I guess writing comes in for me, not just because I’m a Pisces, and the airy-fairy dreamy creative hippy type, but because writing is a call in my soul to process the world around me, and also honours the Bards of old of which we work with so closely in this tradition.

You said in your post about the best writers perhaps being consumed by one main thing — I don’t believe that to be true. I am consumed by many things, and in a really interconnected way, each activity inspires a new perspective in another.

Perhaps the lesson is being open to hear what each activity has to teach rather than restricting our output to one unique path. We should always honour the call of what our souls require.
nice.. i reckon me and my awen are doing okay

yes, i believe our creativity is all interconnected and we learn from everything, inspiration drawn from each facet.

i don't know for a fact that there are writers--or artists of any nature-- whose expression is limited to the one facet but, to use the example of the autistic, being so narrowly focused they often excel in one/limited scope of areas. ALL their creativity is high-beamed on the one area of exceptional giftedness... i don't think it's an odd idea to imagine that greater heights could be achieved this way rather than dabbling over a broader range, so--if nothing else--spending less time polishing ones skillsets in that specific area.

i wouldn't suggest any of us close ourselves off to avenues of expression. if it calls to us, it calls to us and it can only be harmful (imo) to refuse that call. in fact, those of us open to multiple facets of expression may be luckier than those who are not: if we suffer from a bit of writer's block, we simply turn to another outlet till we're ready to write again. the poor writer who has ONLY their writing, who cannot write? dayumn, that must be insanely torturous!

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

p.s miss_sub: how are you at sandwiches?

poet Anonymous

Ive never been creative in any real sense but there agian there is a subjectivity to creativity when we think art. There is an art to the physical gifts as well but they aren't as directly relateable to others.
I.e. martial arts, expression through that medium is often overlooked by those that prefer the artistic endeavours of the mind.

There is something in the tangible ability to lift and move, to strike ans avoid that has its own unique violent beauty.

My daughter hated boxing when she started it; but it was cheap and easily accessible for after achool activity and as she has grown and developed she sees the beauty in a pefectly executed left hook right cross liver shot combination.

The dance between damage and avoidance, she relishes the pain and learning however the price you pay for failures are more tangible as well

Harsher less forgiving physically whilst still leaving the same emotional scars as a bad review.

I took up writing when i got too busy and too old with too many responsibilities to be able to risk the physical fallout of a bungled physical outlet

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

butters said:nice.. i reckon me and my awen are doing okay

yes, i believe our creativity is all interconnected and we learn from everything, inspiration drawn from each facet.

i don't know for a fact that there are writers--or artists of any nature-- whose expression is limited to the one facet but, to use the example of the autistic, being so narrowly focused they often excel in one/limited scope of areas. ALL their creativity is high-beamed on the one area of exceptional giftedness... i don't think it's an odd idea to imagine that greater heights could be achieved this way rather than dabbling over a broader range, so--if nothing else--spending less time polishing ones skillsets in that specific area.

i wouldn't suggest any of us close ourselves off to avenues of expression. if it calls to us, it calls to us and it can only be harmful (imo) to refuse that call. in fact, those of us open to multiple facets of expression may be luckier than those who are not: if we suffer from a bit of writer's block, we simply turn to another outlet till we're ready to write again. the poor writer who has ONLY their writing, who cannot write? dayumn, that must be insanely torturous!

That's where having multiple accounts comes in handy.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14634

JohnnyBlaze said:

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

Ahavati said:

😊😋

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Commentonly said:Ive never been creative in any real sense but there agian there is a subjectivity to creativity when we think art. There is an art to the physical gifts as well but they aren't as directly relateable to others.
I.e. martial arts, expression through that medium is often overlooked by those that prefer the artistic endeavours of the mind.

There is something in the tangible ability to lift and move, to strike ans avoid that has its own unique violent beauty.

My daughter hated boxing when she started it; but it was cheap and easily accessible for after achool activity and as she has grown and developed she sees the beauty in a pefectly executed left hook right cross liver shot combination.

The dance between damage and avoidance, she relishes the pain and learning however the price you pay for failures are more tangible as well

Harsher less forgiving physically whilst still leaving the same emotional scars as a bad review.

I took up writing when i got too busy and too old with too many responsibilities to be able to risk the physical fallout of a bungled physical outlet

i can visualise martial arts as an artform, and used to be fascinated by the pared-back, economy of tae kwon do; minimalist, a dance, a strike (though i suppose even this depends upon which discipline we're talking about).

having said that, the creativity aspect: is it more limited? like the writer takes his tools, his imagination, his spirit, the martial artist takes his and creates what, exactly? the perfect move? the subtly enhanced adaptation of a taught move to make it their own as they outwit their opponent to land the precise combination? is it more limited, more structured in its parameters than writing? are those boundaries constantly being pushed? (has me thinking of torville and dean, ice figure skaters who won the hearts and minds of the skating world but only after overcoming objections to their new, innovative moves) and are the audience the equivalent of the reader? hmmn, i'm thinking there's poetry here, martial arts as a metaphor. i suppose it takes someone with a deep knowledge of the fighting skill in question to fully appreciate the subtleties and nuances, whereas an audience of appreciators at any knowledge-level can enjoy the knockout or take-down and give a standing ovation... or a bow.

i'm glad you have poetry to take up the slack :)

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:

those of us who can multi-task might be able to manage the same trick under one username :p that's why i'm not 'fussed' about the poem reflecting my 'voice', because it expresses its own. you use different boxes--i have compartments in one big box... same same? :D

poet Anonymous

butters said:
i can visualise martial arts as an artform, and used to be fascinated by the pared-back, economy of tae kwon do; minimalist, a dance, a strike (though i suppose even this depends upon which discipline we're talking about).

having said that, the creativity aspect: is it more limited? like the writer takes his tools, his imagination, his spirit, the martial artist takes his and creates what, exactly? the perfect move? the subtly enhanced adaptation of a taught move to make it their own as they outwit their opponent to land the precise combination? is it more limited, more structured in its parameters than writing? are those boundaries constantly being pushed? (has me thinking of torville and dean, ice figure skaters who won the hearts and minds of the skating world but only after overcoming objections to their new, innovative moves) and are the audience the equivalent of the reader? hmmn, i'm thinking there's poetry here, martial arts as a metaphor. i suppose it takes someone with a deep knowledge of the fighting skill in question to fully appreciate the subtleties and nuances, whereas an audience of appreciators at any knowledge-level can enjoy the knockout or take-down and give a standing ovation... or a bow.

i'm glad you have poetry to take up the slack :)

How is that any different to Poetry and its depths of wonder? It takes effort and practice of investment to unlock insights into certain styles of poetry and also the nuances incolved in a metaphor; how was the knock out blow set up? It all looks like movememt to the untrained eye but there are so many nuances to each shift... a good striker can feint an attack with their shoulders and feet an exceptional striker can feint an attack with facial expressions.

Sometimes the differenxe between great and exceptional poetry is a restructuring of a few words

But I digress lol

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Commentonly said:

How is that any different to Poetry and its depths of wonder? It takes effort and practice of investment to unlock insights into certain styles of poetry and also the nuances incolved in a metaphor; how was the knock out blow set up? It all looks like movememt to the untrained eye but there are so many nuances to each shift... a good striker can feint an attack with their shoulders and feet an exceptional striker can feint an attack with facial expressions.

Sometimes the differenxe between great and exceptional poetry is a restructuring of a few words

But I digress lol
it's not... kind of why i was setting it out like that parallels. but what about the restrictions? is there an equivalency of free-expression? would that be cage-fighting?

Go to page:
Go to: