Go to page:

do you write because you're a Writer, or a Creative?

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

was just answering a question on the other thread and it gave me pause for thought: i write, but i'm often described as a 'great reader'—and i often think i read better than i write. BUT, my point is about the act of creating, not just writing.
edit: added bold-text to the relevant part of this first paragraph to clarify since it might be seen as confusing.

if you're the kind of person who creates—and takes the deepest life-satisfaction in the doing so—do you write just as another outlet of that? some of us, i guess, write and maybe do a bit of baking, or gardening, but writing is the sole real focus of the act of creating. others, create in all manner of ways, one of which is writing... not that writing's not really important, vital, even, to our mental well-being.

maybe the best writers are like the best artists, consumed within the one main focus of their creativity and not sharing that force with other outlets. maybe that's bull. i don't know, just wondering aloud. i'm maybe more Creative than Writer. i suppose it really doesn't matter, but it struck me as i sit here sipping coffee.

what do YOU think about this?

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

i've always enjoyed drawing and writing since 5 and 8 years old, but have also been frustrated with the end result of both hobbies and become determined to get better at both.  

I think we are all born eager to create something somehow, but we let life discourage us from pursuing particular interests. Condition ourselves to think in terms of I can't do this for whatever reason instead of the opposite.

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 890

I’m definitely more creative than writer.  I create a lot of things, some of them pretty well and some of them not so well.  I get really out of sorts when I haven’t been creating in some form for too long.  Writing is a thing I’ve been doing as long as I can remember, so I consider it my first love.  

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

Ms. Butters, I was a bit confused on the title of this post ,subsequently reading your first paragraph on whether one is a better writer than reader.  They seem to be two different subjects, at least to me.

Firstly, to address your first paragraph, I don't think all writers are good readers, just as not all good readers are writers. Personally, I think i'm a better reader than a writer because in reality i listen more than i speak.  In essence, I absorb much more than the words spoken or written, such as tone, expression, gaps of silence, pause, body language which aren't present in the written word but most often clues are there from references, metaphors, pauses, meter, speed and the atmosphere painted in the imagery.

As for the topic of creating and are we all artists to some degree.  I believe the answer is yes, we are constantly creating something whether its considered art, is something that it all depends how the term is translated and accepted by the population across the norm.
Some  years ago, I had a discussion with a relative of mine who is well known artist on the east coast and southern states, her paintings sell over 10k with 2 opening shows a year.  I argued with her that even if someone creates a knitted scarf with a common pattern which has been used many times over by many people is still considered art as long as she uses her own mix of colors, dimensions and style which ofcourse she desputed saying that its not original art.  Although, we both agreed that it is considered "creating",
So the despute on what is art/artist/creating and how original one should be can and has been the subject for eons...but i'm sure that can be whole other subject.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:i've always enjoyed drawing and writing since 5 and 8 years old, but have also been frustrated with the end result of both hobbies and become determined to get better at both.  

I think we are all born eager to create something somehow, but we let life discourage us from pursuing particular interests. Condition ourselves to think in terms of I can't do this for whatever reason instead of the opposite.
yes, i agree that we're driven to 'create' in some form or other
so... would you say the term 'creative' applies to you more or 'writer' or is it simply not something you think's applicable/  

...oh oh, the coffee spill in my keyboard's knocked out my shift key

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

LunaGreyhawk said:I’m definitely more creative than writer.  I create a lot of things, some of them pretty well and some of them not so well.  I get really out of sorts when I haven’t been creating in some form for too long.  Writing is a thing I’ve been doing as long as I can remember, so I consider it my first love.  
i think you sound a lot like me

thing is, being a 'creative' --if that were ever a term to adopt and i'm not even suggesting we should, just thinking aloud as it were-- doesn't negate being a writer, but i wondered about if those people who are all about writing and don't create in other ways, like music or tapestry, woodwork, whatever, if those people might see some split in terms, 'creative' being a broader umbrella-term

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

butters said:yes, i agree that we're driven to 'create' in some form or other
so... would you say the term 'creative' applies to you more or 'writer' or is it simply not something you think's applicable/  

...oh oh, the coffee spill in my keyboard's knocked out my shift key

I really don't think it's applicable. Regardless of what we choose to occupy ourselves with and let's behonest, there is only so much time in the day, so we must to some effect do one thing at the expense of another ( or at least in my case that is true; I can't multi-task worth a damn ) -

we are always creating our own personal reality, whether we are not aware of it as we do it unconsciously/reactively or are aware of it to the point of doing it deliberately/actively.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Layla said:Ms. Butters, I was a bit confused on the title of this post ,subsequently reading your first paragraph on whether one is a better writer than reader.  They seem to be two different subjects, at least to me.

Firstly, to address your first paragraph, I don't think all writers are good readers, just as not all good readers are writers. Personally, I think i'm a better reader than a writer because in reality i listen more than i speak.  In essence, I absorb much more than the words spoken or written, such as tone, expression, gaps of silence, pause, body language which aren't present in the written word but most often clues are there from references, metaphors, pauses, meter, speed and the atmosphere painted in the imagery.

As for the topic of creating and are we all artists to some degree.  I believe the answer is yes, we are constantly creating something whether its considered art, is something that it all depends how the term is translated and accepted by the population across the norm.
Some  years ago, I had a discussion with a relative of mine who is well known artist on the east coast and southern states, her paintings sell over 10k with 2 opening shows a year.  I argued with her that even if someone creates a knitted scarf with a common pattern which has been used many times over by many people is still considered art as long as she uses her own mix of colors, dimensions and style which ofcourse she desputed saying that its not original art.  Although, we both agreed that it is considered "creating",
So the despute on what is art/artist/creating and how original one should be can and has been the subject for eons...but i'm sure that can be whole other subject.

sorry for the confusion, layla

no, i'm not asking who here is a better reader or writer; not at all. that was just me reflecting on my own tendencies. the title, however, is a musing of another nature;

i write, i create in multiple media... i love all of them. probably writing would be the last bastion to relinquish should i have to choose between them, but they all offer me pleasure through the act of creating. so it's not a stretch to think there are others like me, and then there are those finely focused people whose main--perhaps only--form of creating is writing. is there a difference'q-mark'
it's not about good or bad, or what constitutes 'art' or 'not art', but whether it's a label to muse on and whether it sounds like it applies to you or not. just thinking. at the end of the cliched day, labels don't count--the quality of that we produce does.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:

I really don't think it's applicable. Regardless of what we choose to occupy ourselves with and let's behonest, there is only so much time in the day, so we must to some effect do one thing at the expense of another ( or at least in my case that is true; I can't multi-task worth a damn ) -

we are always creating our own personal reality, whether we are not aware of it as we do it unconsciously/reactively or are aware of it to the point of doing it deliberately/actively.
thankyou

i wonder about things. doesn't necessarily make them worth wondering about, lol.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

JohnnyBlaze said:

I really don't think it's applicable. Regardless of what we choose to occupy ourselves with and let's be honest, there is only so much time in the day, so we must to some effect do one thing at the expense of another ( or at least in my case that is true; I can't multi-task worth a damn ) -

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

lolol h's the same

to answer my own question at the top of this wandering thought process, i'd say i write because i'm a creative rather than because i'm a writer. i'm good with that. doesn't change a thing about how i've written or how i will write in the future, but as navel-gazing goes it's pretty harmless

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015

Ahavati said:

Ha!

It's so true.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2296

I've always written (in personal journals) for like.............forever but never publicized any of it.

My creativeness started off in drawing and painting.  I used to sell my shit at weekend Swap Meets and made good money (for a kid) at it.

When i got older, art supplies got pricier and took up more time and so i thought why not enter a rinky-dink- Poetry-contest to test the waters.  My first one, i got 1st place but not the grand prize but i didn't care about the $$$, as i did about the feeling of HOLY SHIT !!  Readers connected!!  & i was only sharing shit i wrote FOR ME as therapy for my pain and mental illness.  Well, now i became hooked (not just because the supplies are way more cost-effective than painting and drawing).

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14647

JohnnyBlaze said:

Ha!

It's so true.

xo

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Tallen said:I've always written (in personal journals) for like.............forever but never publicized any of it.

My creativeness started off in drawing and painting.  I used to sell my shit at weekend Swap Meets and made good money (for a kid) at it.

When i got older, art supplies got pricier and took up more time and so i thought why not enter a rinky-dink- Poetry-contest to test the waters.  My first one, i got 1st place but not the grand prize but i didn't care about the $$$, as i did about the feeling of HOLY SHIT !!  Readers connected!!  & i was only sharing shit i wrote FOR ME as therapy for my pain and mental illness.  Well, now i became hooked (not just because the supplies are way more cost-effective than painting and drawing).

soooo, would you think there's a label that suits you better, writer or creative, or it's not anything you think is worth musing over?

(yay! old keyboard back on, i can now shift-key!)

Go to page:
Go to: