Go to page:

what's your greatest weakness when writing poetry?

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

we all have those weak spots

for me, it's writing from the perspective of me... i KNOW what i'm seeing in my head, how it sounds, where the layerings, metaphors, allusions are

so

when i try to look at it objectively, with 'outsider eyes', i often let the insider info colour my judgement and will miss i'm not getting a specific point or met/all/whatever across.

i do aim for clarity, or at least accessibility, and understand the more i hone my craft the more i'm likely to match up what i see/hear/recognise in my head with what a reader is getting from the piece, without feeling any need to 'dumb it down' ok, that's my confession

what's yours?

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 883

I try to be too clever with my words sometimes, making them dance a certain way in my head.  I get so caught up in it, congratulating myself on my clever imagery, that I don’t realize until after I’ve posted it and re-read it that I totally lost traction and slipped away from my end point, ending the poem either before it got a chance to spill the real secret, or long after the intent was clear.  

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

Confidence that i CAN write, even though a bazillion times the Vets, here in DUP, and the super writers at other Poetry sites and on Facebook assure me that i am just as good
'
for some reason,
i find it difficult to believe

and mostly maybe because
i hold no college degrees, never took writing courses, i'm schizophrenic and struggle understanding metaphor, simile and abstract, and am indolent.

It's weird because i KNOW i can figure out how to build something electronically / computers or write and read music or sew or damn near anything and would not have the insecurities there as i do with my art work and my poetry.  & i've surrounded myself with artists and writers nearly all my ongoing life.

poet Anonymous

This may sound strange. My weakness is that I write to please myself, in my choice of styles, disregarding the conventional, though I realize the negative impact on readability and sale-ability. My standard writing practice follows 2 quotes: "I have never been one to write by rules..." (William Carlos Williams) and "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion" (Jack Kerouac).

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2287

BobbyEdwards said:This may sound strange. My weakness is that I write to please myself, in my choice of styles, disregarding the conventional, though I realize the negative impact on readability and sale-ability. My standard writing practice follows 2 quotes: "I have never been one to write by rules..." (William Carlos Williams) and "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion" (Jack Kerouac).

Nothing wrong with those lines of thinking.....ink
One of my favorites -- e.e. cummings, was a Rebel with writing  

Lozzamus
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 1awards
Joined 19th Feb 2019
Forum Posts: 18

Overwriting at times. Using words that are not always necessary.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

BobbyEdwards said:This may sound strange. My weakness is that I write to please myself, in my choice of styles, disregarding the conventional, though I realize the negative impact on readability and sale-ability. My standard writing practice follows 2 quotes: "I have never been one to write by rules..." (William Carlos Williams) and "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion" (Jack Kerouac).

nah, not strange at all!

i would think most of us write, at that point of creativity, to please ourselves; getting down what WE need to say, in whatever form (free/blank/ghazal/villanelle/sonnet) we choose.

it's only in the editing of drafts to improve the piece that i consciously think about the other readers. saleability comes very low down on my list, so far it's insignificant as i can't limit what i want to say to whether or not it'd sell

there's one thing about 'rules' i think is important: it's best to know the rules so you can break them deliberately to best suit your poems. i don't see why some (not saying you do) boast about breaking rules or not even knowing them as if that makes them a better writer. that's a sort of 'reverse elitism' like being a luddite imo JUST my opinion. i never wrote in 'form' (other than free-form) but then found learning to write within the parameters of a form was a) hard at first, and b) a really really useful exercise to allow me to gain control over the words rather than allowing them to control me. nowadays, i still write how i choose -- my options are just broader!

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Lozzamus said:Overwriting at times. Using words that are not always necessary.well, you can always cut back... better too much than not enough. pare pare pare

knowing when to stop cutting can be just as tricky

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Tallen said:Confidence that i CAN write, even though a bazillion times the Vets, here in DUP, and the super writers at other Poetry sites and on Facebook assure me that i am just as good
'
for some reason,
i find it difficult to believe

and mostly maybe because
i hold no college degrees, never took writing courses, i'm schizophrenic and struggle understanding metaphor, simile and abstract, and am indolent.

It's weird because i KNOW i can figure out how to build something electronically / computers or write and read music or sew or damn near anything and would not have the insecurities there as i do with my art work and my poetry.  & i've surrounded myself with artists and writers nearly all my ongoing life.

poetry doesn't require college degrees or formal studies

that's not to say reading and reading and reading (which most of us do all our lives) won't educate us--writing and editing add to that. experience and tools. but none of those will take us anywhere without that creativity residing beneath your skin.

despite english lit/language being my best subjects, i took a side-step before going to uni to study it. never took any formal classes. through reading good poetry, great poetry in some instances, great literature, speaking with other writers, modding on several sites and running my own, crtiquing, offering thoughts, THINKING about how and why a poem works... all of these things over decades give you tools. you have those tools.

formal education in language is a different route and can introduce a person to concepts and poets they might never read otherwise; it's like a crash-course in what the tools are and how best to use them. some of us just get there slower. even now i know there are gaping holes in my reading... bothers me to an extent, but them i'm usually too busy writing or reading people online to spend too much time worrying, and i can look forward to filling some of those gaps another day. things to look forward to!

it's a shame you lack the confidence; it's something you need to build on, to trust your own instincts. you write well, you do--there's always room for improvement, for ALL of us, no matter how schooled and published. hoping to see you comfortable with your own talents soon

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

LunaGreyhawk said:I try to be too clever with my words sometimes, making them dance a certain way in my head.  I get so caught up in it, congratulating myself on my clever imagery, that I don’t realize until after I’ve posted it and re-read it that I totally lost traction and slipped away from my end point, ending the poem either before it got a chance to spill the real secret, or long after the intent was clear.  
I get so caught up in it, congratulating myself on my own clever imagery

ah well, you can always go back to edit your work. and at least you have something great in it already, right? lol

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 883

butters said:
I get so caught up in it, congratulating myself on my own clever imagery

ah well, you can always go back to edit your work. and at least you have something great in it already, right? lol

The edit button and I were fast friends

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

LunaGreyhawk said:

The edit button and I were fast friends
mine still is - i lose count of the times i hit 'send' only to see the error as the page is loading

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

I'm just not good at describing things with words.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14574

What is this 'weakness' you speak of? I have no 'weakness', great or small!

Oh, wait, this isn't the narcissist thread, is it?  My bad. . .carry on.

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019

JohnnyBlaze said:I'm just not good at describing things with words.
*slap*

Go to page:
Go to: