Page:

when choosing which poems to read on DUP

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

do you select from the menu? are there some genres you'd never normally open? do you stick to reading poets you know, maybe reading only those on your 'follow' list?

personally, i find being faced with genres like Anger or Drugs, Dark and Self off-putting, too depressing. just me, of course - we all have different tastes; my point is, i don't tend to click on those and so probably miss lots of good writing. to try and offset this and to make sure i at least have to scroll through/past pieces i'd not normally see, the button i hit most often is 'latest poems'. i've found some this way that i would never have seen.

still not gonna be clicking on the buttons i named before but at least i still get to not miss so much of the good stuff

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 38

I cannot bear to read anything that depends in it's meaning or intention to refer to the self and it's individual predicament as opposed to universal or cosmic matters. These reports are suitable only for the writers Mother. I can almost never find anything to read.

Magdalena
Spartalena
Tyrant of Words
Wales 62awards
Joined 21st Apr 2012
Forum Posts: 2993

Genre has no relevance to whether I read a poem or not.

Stringent or not, If it has enough depth and pull, the power to draw emotion from it's reader, then I'm going back for more. I'm definitely not a poetry snob, but if I read two or three poems from a writer and give up on them before getting to the end or scroll through quickly because I feel there is no need to read the rest {predictability} then I won't go back for more. Arrogance is more likely to deter me from ever reading someone than genre.

When I've not got a lot of time, I catch up on those I follow {I rarely have time to even do that} Sometimes I will read random poems or those I do not follow.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

My first priority are to those who support me and further my poetic endeavors.  My second are newbies who have left their signature on my poetry - they've made me aware of their presence so I'm going to reciprocate support.  My third priority is my followed poets.  Some poets aren't as good at commenting as others - this does not mean they do not "Like" or "RL' a poem of mine; they do.  But sometimes words are difficult to muster regarding something you've just read.  Not commenting does not mean not supporting or encouraging my efforts.  I typically know who those are.

I never search per genre - I don't have time for that.  There are those who write mostly "erotica" which I find mostly un-erotic by my standards, so I avoid them.  I also avoid Dark, Anger, Drugs and/or Call to Action poetry unless it's on a global subject I support, i.e. - plastic pollution, et al.  Self is iffy - because sometimes it can really work when it's confessional and well-written.  Inspirational is an iffy balance.  Love Observational and Spiritual poetry the most.

LunaGreyhawk
Dangerous Mind
United States 17awards
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 885

I always read the poems of those who support my writing first.  I’m new here, so when I first got here, I read anything and everything from the list menu under Poems.  I followed poets who’s writing I could connect to.   I felt very anxious about commenting (still very often do), so I would Like or RL any poem I enjoyed and wanted to support.  I have pretty severe anxiety, so I often need to sit with a poem for a while to process it and even longer to make a comment worthy of the poem I read, so I keep my followed poets list short so I can read them and have time to respond in a way that doesn’t leave me feeling overwhelmed.  When I’m feeling uninspired, I will read the newest poems from whatever category sticks out to me at the moment.  Funny enough, I write some poetry I have to stick in the Erotica section, but I almost never read from that list.  

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

LunaGreyhawk said:I always read the poems of those who support my writing first.  I’m new here, so when I first got here, I read anything and everything from the list menu under Poems.  I followed poets who’s writing I could connect to.   I felt very anxious about commenting (still very often do), so I would Like or RL any poem I enjoyed and wanted to support.  I have pretty severe anxiety, so I often need to sit with a poem for a while to process it and even longer to make a comment worthy of the poem I read, so I keep my followed poets list short so I can read them and have time to respond in a way that doesn’t leave me feeling overwhelmed.  When I’m feeling uninspired, I will read the newest poems from whatever category sticks out to me at the moment.  Funny enough, I write some poetry I have to stick in the Erotica section, but I almost never read from that list.  

That is completely normal for new members ( or those suffering from anxiety ), especially until you get to know other members, their temperaments, what kind of comments they prefer ( vs. asking for ), etc.  

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2288

In this order:
People who follow my ink
People who i follow
Newbies in the Welcome group
Reading Lists of People (see the 1st 2 above)
Avatars that i've never seen (those poets - most of who joined like many moons ago)

I shy away from erotic but if i follow a writer who writes it i will try to read and comment
Hell, i've written ink that i thought was innocent but someone thought it belonged in < extreme content>
like the spill i did on French Kissing (Canoodling Skyward) and so maybe it's why i don't rule out reading
that category.

As far as commenting -- i am fearless and will try to be as honest but kind as possible
Many a newbie said i wow'd them with my sharing and comments

Just me trying to be as authentic as i can

There are times though, when i Feel the ink but i'm unable to comment
I usually RL or <like> but seriously thinking of leaving no comment but make myself known by leaving a dot dot dot  (i've done this a few times but not on purpose)

Silver_Birch
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 26th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 6

I'm new here, so I can't give a definative answer related to this site. However, I do enjoy reading many different types and gengres of poetry. At the moment I tend to pick at random, but doubtless in time I'll have favourite poets here who I'll enjoy following.

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2288

Silver_Birch said:I'm new here, so I can't give a definative answer related to this site. However, I do enjoy reading many different types and gengres of poetry. At the moment I tend to pick at random, but doubtless in time I'll have favourite poets here who I'll enjoy following.

It doesn't take long to have Favorites
(writers who spill and it resonates with You)
and there will be writers who follow Your ink

BTW, welcome to the Deep  

Silver_Birch
Lost Thinker
United Kingdom
Joined 26th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 6

Thank you for the welcome, Tallen. Much appreciated.

buddhakitty
Tyrant of Words
10awards
Joined 5th Mar 2017
Forum Posts: 50

Poetry has no rules, no boundaries.  Read what you dig . Everyone is different and theres enough room for everybody. As far as comments go, they dont have to be profound.  Leaving even a simple, "good write," communicates appreciation.

pax,
buddhakitty

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5266

buddhakitty said: Poetry has no rules, no boundaries.  Read what you dig . Everyone is different and theres enough room for everybody. As far as comments go, they dont have to be profound.  Leaving even a simple, "good write," communicates appreciation.

pax,
buddhakitty

Nuff said!! 👍👌 👏

Page:
Go to: