Go to page:

typos and misspells in your poetry

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

can create some classic funnies, but for most poems it's really a great idea to check and re-check before posting. at the very least, read your submission once posted and see if you can't catch one that slipped away.

we're all guilty of it - i spot the errors in other people's work way quicker than my own. so for those of you whose creativity outstrips their spelling (and that's not in the least unusual for a poet!), perhaps try out Grammarly or one of the other options available free to download.

a typo can ruin the mood of a romantic or sexy poem; break the reader's concentration in a dark, emotional piece; and if you're gonna try to roast using poetry as your vehicle (an age-old, time-honoured tradition), you really need to make your piece typo/misspell free.

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
David_Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom 39awards
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2983

typos can ruin the emotional content of a poem??? I find that as a reader nothing spoils the heartfelt words of the writer "Spebbing izz uminportents two emoshunel contemmt wun caan unjoy eet emawre or att leest eye khan" a famous quote

JohnnyBlaze
Tyrant of Words
United States 23awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 5573

butters said:can create some classic funnies, but for most poems it's really a great idea to check and re-check before posting. at the very least, read your submission once posted and see if you can't catch one that slipped away.

we're all guilty of it - i spot the errors in other people's work way quicker than my own. so for those of you whose creativity outstrips their spelling (and that's not in the least unusual for a poet!), perhaps try out Grammarly or one of the other options available free to download.

a typo can ruin the mood of a romantic or sexy poem; break the reader's concentration in a dark, emotional piece; and if you're gonna try to roast using poetry as your vehicle (an age-old, time-honoured tradition), you really need to make your piece typo/misspell free.

It really can kill the mood. I remember posting a poem at the other place years back and Todski was enjoying the poem until he tripped over a flub near the end of it.

But shit happens to the best of us.

I certainly appreciate it when typos are pointed out because they are usually artifacts left over from too much copy and pasting editing in a hurry.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

butters said:can create some classic funnies, but for most poems it's really a great idea to check and re-check before posting. at the very least, read your submission once posted and see if you can't catch one that slipped away.

It definitely has ruined the flow and mood for me!  I have said it dozens of times, over and over, "Arrrgh! it was perfect until [insert typo or grammatical error]!" At which 99% of poets here are very appreciative for the opportunity to correct it.  Or they have been with me.  And it's HILARIOUS when someone does attempt to roast another and misspells a word. There are some great memes across social networks on that!

We aren't discussing people who deliberately break rules, such as EE Cummings and the like. We are referring to those who literally meant to spell something correctly, or use the correct grammatical term, but didn't!  And, are probably unaware of it until it's pointed out.  There is also a difference in spelling and typos.  I find typos don't really interrupt the flow for me as a misspelled word does.  I'm not sure why, except to say that it was a typo vs misspelling.

What I enjoy about your posts is that you include yourself, admit you are guilty of the same thing you advise in others.  That's but one mark of a mature writer. Glad you opted to join the DU community!

MaryWalker
Fire of Insight
United States 3awards
Joined 20th Mar 2015
Forum Posts: 225

Witches Are Bitches and The Worst Spellers Ever

Bubble, bubble
boiler room trouble---  
which is it?!    

What a language we have got!  

I usually misspell misspell  
thinking it is mispell  
I often do it a lot!  

Sort of like dispel  
though ending with an elle  
times two  

which also sounds like  
"undoing a magic spell"  

which I just might do    
seeing as how this cauldron    
called for a recipe    
that simply has gone to pot!  

Now, who was I writing this to?  

What the hell ...  

Seems I forgot  

Hocus, Pocus, Focus!  

Don't you dare diss spelling!  
May a hex of inappropriate auto corrects  
or a pox of typos be upon you!  

Written by MaryWalker
Go To Page  

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

So....how does the theory of writing for yourself, first and foremost work in this mis-spelling bee(having) thread?  
Which is something that all of us in this artform do agree...write for yourself first!
When a writer writes with typos, misspellings (intended or unintentional) and he/she is not writing for an audience in mind shouldn't that be something that we all as readers learn by now to accept?

LiamReeduus
LiamReedus
Fire of Insight
Ireland 5awards
Joined 11th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 30

This is a branch off of the honest critique. If they point it out dont take it to heart its just the way some are.  Unless you see and agree with the content and feel need to change it dont take to heart just someone trying to help

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

It reminded me of something that happened on tv gazellion years ago on MTV.
Singer Jewel had just published her first poetry book and the host pointed a word in one of her poems which he felt was misspelled/misused but It was admirable how she defended and owned her work and  her words.
http://www.mtv.com/video-clips/1afxl7/jewel-gets-schooled-by-kurt-loder

Jade-Pandora
jade tiger
Tyrant of Words
United States 154awards
Joined 9th Nov 2015
Forum Posts: 5134

Layla said:It reminded me of something that happened on tv gazellion years ago on MTV.
Singer Jewel had just published her first poetry book and the host pointed a word in one of her poems which he felt was misspelled/misused but It was admirable how she defended and owned her work and  her words.
http://www.mtv.com/video-clips/1afxl7/jewel-gets-schooled-by-kurt-loder

Now that was great to watch... she was cool ( and she’s dyslexic too like I am, who’da thot? ), and she dispatched that fool like 1-2-3 woohoo!  “Next topic...”

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14587

Layla said:So....how does the theory of writing for yourself, first and foremost work in this mis-spelling bee(having) thread?  
Which is something that all of us in this artform do agree...write for yourself first!
When a writer writes with typos, misspellings (intended or unintentional) and he/she is not writing for an audience in mind shouldn't that be something that we all as readers learn by now to accept?

We aren't discussing people who deliberately break rules, such as EE Cummings and the like. We are referring to those who literally meant to spell something correctly, or use the correct grammatical term, but didn't!  And, are probably unaware of it until it's pointed out.  There is also a difference in spelling and typos.  I find typos don't really interrupt the flow for me as a misspelled word does.  I'm not sure why, except to say that it was a typo vs misspelling.

I would also add that it also depends on whether or not the poet who was writing for themselves publicly posted and requested Honest Critique.

LiamReeduus
LiamReedus
Fire of Insight
Ireland 5awards
Joined 11th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 30

Agreed

Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
32awards
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2288

This topic of conversation reminds me of a time i posted a spill
i think it was here but it could have been in a poetry group on Facebook or AllPoetry -- i just woke up so not quite lucid --

Anyways, i misspelled a couple of words On Purpose because i was wanting to use both spellings as part of my spill.  I forgot to use something to alert the reader what i was doing and some guy ripped me in comments.
I PM'd him explaining my intent and he humbly apologized and said when he reads me more he will know me and will better catch my literary tricks.

& so now, when i try to use tactics like this
i will bold italic and or quote or some other means of aiding readers' awareness.

Sometimes, i just plain woke up too early and will catch and change the grammatical errors later if someone has not yet caught 'em.  

butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom 3awards
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Layla said:So....how does the theory of writing for yourself, first and foremost work in this mis-spelling bee(having) thread?  
okay, writing first and foremost for yourself: we've all done that - it was my own safety-valve in a horrendous marriage. once we submit it to be published on an open forum, we have to accept that other eyes will read out pain-drenched outpourings, other minds will form their opinions of our writing,  and - if we allow comments and invite critique - might just choose to express them.

i have never EVER given a crit-bitch critique. i've given sensitive reviews, offered opinions on the writing as honest feedback when invited and have ALWAYS made a point of making my own ethos known - never change a thing unless it feels right to you, as its author.

i would also say this: if you are writing only for yourself, you can fill word with cathartic outpourings. if you post the work publicly, you clearly want 'eyes on'. if you don't want comments, simply use the right settings. if you want sensitive support, choose 'friendly feedback'. if you select 'author wants honest critique' then it negates any sense of the writing being purely for the poet's own emotional safety-valve and indicates a willingness to listen to other perspectives with a view to improving their writing.

i'd hazard that most of us write in AS a safety-valve, or we'd burst trying to hold everything in.

now, misspells/typos: a word can be spelled 'incorrectly' on purpose for several reasons
a) with a view to its 'intension'... not its 'intention'
b) as a visual 'pop' intended to enhance the underlying message
c) just because the writer likes its aesthetics

the first two involve readers and invites them to think about the whys of the situation, the last is a personal choice and the writer has to assume responsibility that some might not see it the same way as they do

a word may be misspelled (us version v uk version 'misspelt') accidentally- through typo or through not realising it is spelled incorrectly: again, if they don't want slip-ups to be brought to their attention, fine, just choose the right option from the menu this site offers. the alternative is to simply edit and correct, which is of benefit to their poem AND a courtesy to their readership. i try and read a poem several different ways - firstly with my reader's head on in order to immerse myself in the emotional content (imagery/musicality/rhythm), then subsequent readings using my editor head to look at it from a more logical, impersonal perspective. mistakes in spelling are a fact of life. ALL of us are guilty; some of attempt to correct those mistakes in order to grow as a writer. if you're not interested in growth, fine, but that's no excuse to insult anyone who is. we're all on the same path.

finally, if poetry is the vehicle used to insult, attack, roast (which is a tribute in itself, when executed well) or denigrate another writer, then damned-straight, skippy, you'd better get your spelling right or have it backfire on you.

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018

Ahavati said:

I would also add that it also depends on whether or not the poet who was writing for themselves publicly posted and requested Honest Critique.

True dat.
Darn it Ahavati, see...now I feel I should make a poll about honest critique lol
Pretty soon, I'm going to request my own department at Du just for polls ;)

Go to page:
Go to: