butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Ahavati said:

:)

DU is truly a wonderful place, butters. It's supportive, caring, nurturing, and fun.  I am not sure where all this negativity is coming from - but it's not the real DU.  
having not even been here a week, i can see why some newcomers would turn right around and walk out the door again, but i've been taking my time reading around on the site, reading the poetry of other minds, and meeting some great new people - so if i don't suddenly find myself booted for skewed reasons, i'm sure i'll enjoy my stay here.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
111awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 11669

butters said:having not even been here a week, i can see why some newcomers would turn right around and walk out the door again, but i've been taking my time reading around on the site, reading the poetry of other minds, and meeting some great new people - so if i don't suddenly find myself booted for skewed reasons, i'm sure i'll enjoy my stay here.

Hopefully! You have a lot to offer by way of poetry and quality critique.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>from reading this, and your writing, i'd say you've developed a pretty sound poetry-ethos

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
31awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 2072

LunaGreyhawk said:I believe in honest critiquing - how else will I know if what I知 trying to say is getting through to my reader?  I love the feel-good praise; it feels sometimes like worship (and god does my ego love that), but I知 with Tallen on wondering sometimes when I have several of those on a poem if I知 getting honesty.  I知 not that good - I致e only been writing again for about a year after a really long hiatus - but even at my best, my writing fails to follow the rules that I知 often too lazy to learn. My goal is to become better without losing myself in the process, so I am often left asking, 登k, but how do I do this better?

100% with You Sister!!  

takis1917
takis1917
Fire of Insight
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 133

butters said:
have you delved into cognitive poetics?

Not much... I have to admit, though, that I have always been suspicious of empiricist attempts to apply its conceptual tools and methodology in developing a dominant trend of literary criticism. (It doesn't mean that I think cognitive poetics has nothing to offer)

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

takis1917 said:

Not much... I have to admit, though, that I have always been suspicious of empiricist attempts to apply its conceptual tools and methodology in developing a dominant trend of literary criticism. (It doesn't mean that I think cognitive poetics has nothing to offer)
:) nothing wrong with a little healthy suspicion

from what i understand of it, and believe me that's limited, it's something akin to holistic medicine - how to read the poem as a whole and treat it as such, the main tenets for the reader being: attention, perception,  memory, language, learning, higher reasoning

takis1917
takis1917
Fire of Insight
Joined 6th Aug 2017

butters said::) nothing wrong with a little healthy suspicion

from what i understand of it, and believe me that's limited, it's something akin to holistic medicine - how to read the poem as a whole and treat it as such, the main tenets for the reader being: attention, perception,  memory, language, learning, higher reasoning

That has been my limited understanding of it, as well. Too much emphasis on the craft, very little on the art... Craft is very important, but, (to paraphrase a structuralist tenet), in the final analysis, art over-determines...:)

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

takis1917 said:

That has been my limited understanding of it, as well. Too much emphasis on the craft, very little on the art... Craft is very important, but, (to paraphrase a structuralist tenet), in the final analysis, art over-determines...:)

i just like to immerse myself in it (the poem) and see what it does to me, if i become a part of the experience of the poem or if it excludes, if it lifts me up, makes me sorrowful, enriches me through the experience of having connected

and on that note, it's time for fear the walking dead.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

butters said:

i just like to immerse myself in it (the poem) and see what it does to me, if i become a part of the experience of the poem or if it excludes, if it lifts me up, makes me sorrowful, enriches me through the experience of having connected

LOL! That was a perfect lead in!

takis1917
takis1917
Fire of Insight
Joined 6th Aug 2017

butters said:

And when it does all the things you mention, then I call it art! (Good listening!...:))

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

butters said:
have you delved into cognitive poetics?

Beginning the dive now - will let you know what I think!

JMMontgomery
JMMontgomery
Strange Creature
  profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 5

I致e had s good amount of critique on poems before, namely that things don稚 rhyme or the reader doesn稚 get the theme. I take it with a grain of salt because as far as I知 concerned my poetry is my self expression or art and that is subjective. Of course I知 happy to receive critique but all in all I write what I write.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JMMontgomery said:I致e had s good amount of critique on poems before, namely that things don稚 rhyme or the reader doesn稚 get the theme. I take it with a grain of salt because as far as I知 concerned my poetry is my self expression or art and that is subjective. Of course I知 happy to receive critique but all in all I write what I write.

Rhyming is irrelevant unless you intended the poem to rhyme - then critique is warranted.  As far as the theme, if your readers do not understand what you are trying to say,  then you might want to rethink how you're trying to say it.  If you simply wrote the poem for you, and don't care if readers understand the theme, why do you share it?  

You're right in that critique should be taken with a grain of salt in one aspect; it's basically an opinion outside of proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation ( unless intentionally incorrect for dialect purposes ); however, in another aspect critique is a very valuable tool for improvement - pending you actually want your audience to understand what you've written.

JMMontgomery
JMMontgomery
Strange Creature
  profile   poems   message
Joined 25th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 5

I completely get what you池e saying and I do agree. I should have been more clear; my poems are mostly of how I feel in dark times and as most people in my life think I知 mostly upbeat and positive, they don稚 堵et where the themes come from.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

JMMontgomery said:I completely get what you池e saying and I do agree. I should have been more clear; my poems are mostly of how I feel in dark times and as most people in my life think I知 mostly upbeat and positive, they don稚 堵et where the themes come from.

Gotcha.  Thanks for clarifying.

Go to page:
Go to: