55.88% • 19 votes • Yep
29.41% • 10 votes • Sumwut
14.71% • 5 votes • Naw
Total votes: 34
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Has critique improved your writing?

poet Anonymous

Without critique and the investment of time from others more knowledgeable than myself; without encouragement from my piers and betters I would have quit a long time ago.

Without critique; without engagement on my work all those years ago I wouldn't be writing now.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
30awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1954

butters said:i see that the poster edited his rude post - entrapment is a very odd word to use.

my own response has been hidden - fair enough, the site's mods have a job to do but the entrapment part is total baloney. however, when another poster barges into a conversation flinging insults around, and i respond with restraint, perhaps it would have been a better route to ask me to modify my own post to something considered more "acceptable" just as the courtesy has been offered to the instigator.

i am not here for any juvenile drama, just expect the same courtesies to be offered to me as the next poster here.

kind regards
butters

It's why some take screen shots in lieu of pressing the Quote button
these forums and our postings here
i think are still works in progress.

I hope You stay and become a helper (i need all the help i can get, butters)

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
3awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 868

Tallen said:

It's why some take screen shots in lieu of pressing the Quote button
these forums and our postings here
i think are still works in progress.

I hope You stay and become a helper (i need all the help i can get, butters)
it's all a load of tosh. as a moderator of several writing sites over the years, i believe in a wielding a fair hand whilst adhering to the policies of the site, so really wouldn't have bothered mentioning anything if both posts had been uniformly hidden. as a former site owner, i can understand that this site belongs to admin and it's not a democracy - what they say goes.

i plan on being around for a while, just getting the feel of this site; however, should it all get too cliquey i'll leave it to the juvies. i'm here to offer what i can and receive what i may; respect is a part of that.

thankyou, tallen x

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Anonymous said:<< post removed >>
it's such a shame - i cannot be doing with all the childish political infighting. poetry and the dicussion thereof is a BEAUTIFUL topic that should be free of bloviated posturing, innuendo, and downright lies.

should anyone care to check me out as a genuine new poster, my writing abides mainly on literotica - still as butters, too. not that i should need to offer that, but in the interests of nipping ridiculous speculation in the bud....

so! perhaps we can return to the topic and hope simple adult civility may resume.

:flower:

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
109awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 11211

Resuming in process 3. . .2. . .1

Commentonly said:Without critique and the investment of time from others more knowledgeable than myself; without encouragement from my piers and betters I would have quit a long time ago.

Without critique; without engagement on my work all those years ago I wouldn't be writing now.

Precisely, and thank you, commentonly.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Commentonly said:Without critique and the investment of time from others more knowledgeable than myself; without encouragement from my peers and betters I would have quit a long time ago.

i, for one, am very glad you kept at it.
the world needs every poetic voice, every artist, musician, dancer, singer... you get my drift... it can lay its stumpy little hands on

lepperochan
lepperochan
Craic-Dealer
Guardian of Shadows
66awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 1st Apr 2011
Forum Posts: 14136

hullo

apologies for coming in off topic.

*sigh* rugby world cup is on. Ireland are hammering Scotland. but they're doing it at the right place: on the rugby pitch. to quote someone somewhere "this shit is getting old"

let me be crystal clear here: there is no way we are going to have a situation where someone comes in off the street (so to speak)  and opens up old wounds, or aligns themselves to one side or the other. I'll recommend all involved be banned from the forums. play nice or don't play.  simples

please continue.

I voted somewhat because I believe other people have helped shape the way that I write

takis1917
takis1917
Fire of Insight
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Aug 2017
Forum Posts: 131

Depends on what we mean by critique... Reading philosophical writings on literary aesthetics (don't ask me to explain the terms), has helped me to a better understanding of a few things...

dejure
dejure
vick
Dangerous Mind
25awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Aug 2015
Forum Posts: 2715

for me yes...

souladareatease
souladareatease
Tyrant of Words
United States
29awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 28th Dec 2012
Forum Posts: 5085

Fine line between advice and coming off as a pointy headed arse.
Taste is often subjective to approach.
I'll often write in wrong manners, if it rolls off the tongue the way I like.
I never see a lack of intelligence by a misspelling...some Write in a flurry and keep the hyperness attached to it.
Sometimes it's the expression (known by better spellers) as they read and take it in, theres no need to point it out-silly
As for programs to check spelling, why...yet another program for perfection and steal Your damn time.
If You are putting out a novel, sure, have at it, proofread, grammerly, whatever to tidy.
Other than such moments, ride the wave of Your creativity and fuck all who sneer upon Your work/energy/time/efforts...YoU are the expression.
Learning ins/outs of better Writing is as interesting as any rabbit hole You plunge.
But if it's directed AT You as criticism, it can be disheartening (moreso at early stages) '
Assholes and opinions...You know the saying....tastes they are Unique and the often decider to a good Write.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

ImperfectedStone said:I think critique has to be done generally with care and a relationship between two people to avoid a defensive reaction. I think it can be misconstrued and so it's important when offering to ask if they want it, and do it a bit like a sh*t sandwich....this was great....work on this....this was clever.... for example, in my opinion. A lot of people wear their heart on their sleeve with poetry, I think it's important to be wary not to crush it.

I agree it depends on who one is critiquing, and whether or not they are a novice or experienced writer. I personally prefer it straight up.  According to others I was razed so badly once a mod hid the critique.  I fought to have it restored because it's what I asked for.  Some cannot handle direct honesty - it doesn't bother me.

There is a professional way to do things - and, of course, there is not.  The latter of which causes more often than not pain and hurt on behalf of the writer.  

lepperochan said:hullo
[. . .]

let me be crystal clear here: there is no way we are going to have a situation where someone comes in off the street (so to speak)  and opens up old wounds, or aligns themselves to one side or the other. I'll recommend all involved be banned from the forums. play nice or don't play.  simples

please continue.

Just don't forget the same old members who are deliberately knocking scabs off old wounds by making false accusations toward innocent people and/or actions, Craic.  Equality is all I'm asking.

I voted somewhat because I believe other people have helped shape the way that I write

Of course it does. Thanks for voting.

takis1917 said:Depends on what we mean by critique... Reading philosophical writings on literary aesthetics (don't ask me to explain the terms), has helped me to a better understanding of a few things...

While reading critical analysis and/or philosophical papers on literary aesthetics can definitely be a tool for improvement ( it has been for me ), I was referring more to the one-on-one critique by a poetic peer, teacher,  literary editor, etc.  Has any person you've known who offered critique and/or suggestions regarding your writing impacted future writing in a positive way?

dejure said:for me yes...

Thanks, dejure!  

And to all who have voted, thank you!

I'm curious as to the ones who voted "no", if they'd like to come forward and explain how critique has never helped improve their writing?

souladareatease said:Fine line between advice and coming off as a pointy headed arse.
Taste is often subjective to approach.
I'll often write in wrong manners, if it rolls off the tongue the way I like.
I never see a lack of intelligence by a misspelling...some Write in a flurry and keep the hyperness attached to it.
Sometimes it's the expression (known by better spellers) as they read and take it in, theres no need to point it out-silly
As for programs to check spelling, why...yet another program for perfection and steal Your damn time.
If You are putting out a novel, sure, have at it, proofread, grammerly, whatever to tidy.
Other than such moments, ride the wave of Your creativity and fuck all who sneer upon Your work/energy/time/efforts...YoU are the expression.
Learning ins/outs of better Writing is as interesting as any rabbit hole You plunge.
But if it's directed AT You as criticism, it can be disheartening (moreso at early stages) '
Assholes and opinions...You know the saying....tastes they are Unique and the often decider to a good Write.

Did you mean to reply to the typos and misspells in your poetry thread, soul?  If not, I think honoring someone's request for honest critique is important.  And, frankly, I haven't seen any "pointy headed arse"s criticising anyone on this site.  I have seen plenty, myself included, honoring requests for honest critique in a non pointy headed arse manner.

LiamReeduus
LiamReeduus
LiamReedus
Fire of Insight
Ireland
4awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 25

It's helped me alot. People are very sensitive though it's not an issue unless you refuse to see as help and not an attack. I have seen situations were the person owned up to it and corrected in my case one poem i deleted and the on whom did the critique got upset saying why they didnt like doing critique. My problem wasnt what they said but as i read so many mistakes it was best to delete and try to write it again another time.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

LiamReeduus said:It's helped me alot. People are very sensitive though it's not an issue unless you refuse to see as help and not an attack. I have seen situations were the person owned up to it and cirrected in my case one poem i deleted and the on whom did the critique got upset saying why they didnt like doing critique. My problem wasnt what they said but as i read so many mistakes it was best to delete and try to write it again another time.

Exactly, Liam.  I've never understood the mindset of those who request honest critique then get offended by it.

Thanks for responding.

LunaGreyhawk
LunaGreyhawk
Fire of Insight
United States
12awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 8th July 2019
Forum Posts: 520

I believe in honest critiquing - how else will I know if what Im trying to say is getting through to my reader?  I love the feel-good praise; it feels sometimes like worship (and god does my ego love that), but Im with Tallen on wondering sometimes when I have several of those on a poem if Im getting honesty.  Im not that good - Ive only been writing again for about a year after a really long hiatus - but even at my best, my writing fails to follow the rules that Im often too lazy to learn.  My goal is to become better without losing myself in the process, so I am often left asking, ok, but how do I do this better?

LiamReeduus
LiamReeduus
LiamReedus
Fire of Insight
Ireland
4awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 25

I can understand your feeling on this. I know mine are low grade mediocre but you cant really say its not honest either to some they dont look at the rules and perfection of words as the expression and care put into their emotion. So honest critique is important but you cant really decide if its what they feel or not. Just appreciate it and go if they praise assume they enjoy if one points out its not badgering as saying did you see this. Its a no win arguement

Go to page:
Go to: