Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
74awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3331

Tallen said:

100% agree

but in my past i've been told i write crap and i used to wear that shit like a badge!

After last year's DuNaPo April, i learned a lot.........about myself, about how others perceive me and my ink (even Vet Poets!!)
I found that it's a lot more difficult for me to rise out of the mire than it was to wallow.

Today, i kind of sort of think maybe i am a better writer but no way to truly know.........maybe i will never know as i am still at a crossroad of whether or not i WANT / need to be a Good writer.  I still have a book that i've been editing for 5 years - LOL!!  3 years ago i had 100+ followers ready to purchase said book and now probably only 10 faithful faithfully waiting.

You, butters, i see as a special writer (like Ahavati and JB and many others here).  Someone i can look at and try to understand and learn from

thank you for the vote of confidence, Tallen. xo  

And, NaPo ROCKS!  Reveals so much to writers about themselves. I was shocked to learn that DU had never sponsored a NaPo before we started.   Happy to have you on this year's team!

Tallen said:i get a lot of newbies who PM for help, advice, critique.
Why?  Why me and why in private?
Even when i try to direct them to the critique groups or other writers who i consider way more experienced than me they insist it has to be me!
Why?  To this day i am still baffled by this and it not just happens here in the Deep but other Poetry sites and even on Facebook.

So perhaps, public critique is something that most or many can't handle?  
After all, if it's public then all eyes are critiquing quietly, are they not?

I'm sure You all have experienced this, as well

Because you are a genuinely kind person, Tallen. That is why.   I get them too; however, strongly encourage public discourse so that everyone can learn.  If they prefer private, they get an email address.  Some people will use the ruse of critique to initiate a private conversation with you.  And others are genuinely desiring to improve. Only you can tell the difference.

Never change, my friend. You are a gem.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Lozzamus said:I voted Yep.   Critique is crucial. My opinion anyway.

Yep!

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

butters said: well that was incredibly rude of you

this is a forum for open discussion; some of us have chosen to reply to the OP. no one has forced you to read it; no one is forcing their opinion on you, or anyone else.

in fact, i believe most of us have gone to pains to explain EXACTLY that point: a good critique is offered with the poem's voice in mind and not the critters, and a good critter can offer an experienced eye that MAY be of some help IF and WHEN the poet receiving the crit is ready to hear it.

not all critters will agree on what makes for a good poem, but the question asked by the OP was if we felt receiving critique had helped us improve our writing.

why on earth you should have an issue with that is quite beyond me.

as for the cafe, i'm still new here and finding my way around - last time i looked there were only 2 poems posted for critique and none of those had received replies. since there are supposed to be people there ready and willing to do so, i'm waiting to see what they have to offer.

so perhaps throwing a hissy fit isn't the most respectful way to respond to your fellow members. i'd suggest you follow the good sense posted in your sigline.

F'n WORD.

For the record, and as the opening post stated ( very clearly ), this poll was started in response to two comments regarding critique not making an impact on writing. I didn't initially list them because I didn't think I needed to - but here they are plus the source.

the5thRiddler said:Just an opinion, but Id love to see how some critiques have made others improve. I needed that laugh.

Timagination543 said:I've been writing for ten years and haven't improved a bit through nice reviews. Anything I learn, I learn on my own. I'm just a novice like a lot of other people here. Reviews aren't important to me anymore.

Source:  https://deepundergroundpoetry.com/forum/speakeasy/read/10831/60/#454821

poet Anonymous

To clarify, a nice review is not a critique, therefore I learn nothing from it although I do appreciate it. That's why I must learn on my own, no one tells me. Hence, reviews are not that important.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Timagination543 said:To clarify, a nice review is not a critique, therefore I learn nothing from it although I do appreciate it. That's why I must learn on my own, no one tells me. Hence, reviews are not that important.

Well, then what is your opinion on critique in regards to improving writing skills?

poet Anonymous

If the writer has experience enough to offer good advice I think it's fine. But will the person receiving it follow through? If their ego is insulted, probably not.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Timagination543 said:If the writer has experience enough to offer good advice I think it's fine. But will the person receiving it follow through? If their ego is insulted, probably not.

I'm referring to your personal experience, since you were one I quoted. I'm trying to obtain clarity on whether or not YOU feel critique is beneficial to improving writing skills.  Am I to assume that "I think it's fine" means you do think critique improves writing skills?

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

Well, then what is your opinion on critique in regards to improving writing skills?

And by the way, I've offered the simplest of advise and have been ignored, therefore I've learned to keep quiet. In fact, there's a story behind that I won't go into.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Timagination543 said:

And by the way, I've offered the simplest of advise and have been ignored, therefore I've learned to keep quiet. In fact, there's a story behind that I won't go into.

Ahavati said:

I'm referring to your personal experience, since you were one I quoted. I'm trying to obtain clarity on whether or not YOU feel critique is beneficial to improving writing skills.   Am I to assume that "I think it's fine" means you do think critique improves writing skills?

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

Yes, I do. Outside eyes can expose faults in someone's writing.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Timagination543 said:

Yes, I do. Outside eyes can expose faults in someone's writing.

Thanks for clarifying that, Tim. I wondered how a seasoned writer could think critique wasn't a valuable tool for improvement!

poet Anonymous

Ahavati said:

Thanks for clarifying that, Tim. I wondered how a seasoned writer could think critique wasn't a valuable tool for improvement!

Seasoned? Yeah, I guess. But I still see myself as a novice.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 391

Timagination543 said:

Seasoned? Yeah, I guess. But I still see myself as a novice.
we're all learning - hopefully, we'll never stop

ImperfectedStone
ImperfectedStone
The Gardener
Dangerous Mind
United Kingdom
27awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th Oct 2010
Forum Posts: 1208

I think critique has to be done generally with care and a relationship between two people to avoid a defensive reaction. I think it can be misconstrued and so it's important when offering to ask if they want it, and do it a bit like a sh*t sandwich....this was great....work on this....this was clever.... for example, in my opinion. A lot of people wear their heart on their sleeve with poetry, I think it's important to be wary not to crush it.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 391

i see that the poster edited his rude post - entrapment is a very odd word to use.

my own response has been hidden - fair enough, the site's mods have a job to do but the entrapment part is total baloney. however, when another poster barges into a conversation flinging insults around, and i respond with restraint, perhaps it would have been a better route to ask me to modify my own post to something considered more "acceptable" just as the courtesy has been offered to the instigator.

i am not here for any juvenile drama, just expect the same courtesies to be offered to me as the next poster here.

kind regards
butters

Go to page:
Go to: