Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1024

There should be a

Rip this spill to sheds

added as a choice to the type of comments wanted as i don't think the Honest critique actually gets an honest critique

( just being a smart ass and adding another log to the campfire)

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
74awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3331

Tallen said:There should be a

Rip this spill to sheds

added as a choice to the type of comments wanted as i don't think the Honest critique actually gets an honest critique

LOL!  Tallen!  

It does sometimes. I make sure of it.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:

LOL!  Tallen!  

It does sometimes. I make sure of it.

Often when i ask for critique i think when people are kind with the comments i think to myself
" You ain't that fucking good and maybe they didn't pay attention to the critique request."

Every once in a while i DO ask for friendly feedback but mostly for the spills I KNOW IS CRAP and spilled for fun

Would be nice to have a RIP MY GUTS OUT option  

(not that i am trying to become a better writer or anything.........mind You   )

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

Often when i ask for critique i think when people are kind with the comments i think to myself
" You ain't that fucking good and maybe they didn't pay attention to the critique request."

Every once in a while i DO ask for friendly feedback but mostly for the spills I KNOW IS CRAP and spilled for fun

Would be nice to have a RIP MY GUTS OUT option  

Well, but you don't know how others are interpreting your work. Perhaps they like it as is. I never seem to find much to shred you about. I will dig deeper though.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
Joined 15th Oct 2018

Ahavati said:

Well, but you don't know how others are interpreting your work. Perhaps they like it as is. I never seem to find much to shred you about. I will dig deeper though.

You caused me to smile -- thank You

You may be correct -- after all most know i profess to be an emotional spiller
and it's difficult to carve out more emotion than what is laid out on the coroner's slab table

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Tallen said:

You caused me to smile -- thank You

You may be correct -- after all most know i profess to be an emotional spiller
and it's difficult to carve out more emotion than what is laid out on the coroner's slab table

EXACTLY my point.

the5thRiddler
the5thRiddler
Twisted Dreamer
  profile   poems   message
Joined 6th Aug 2019
Forum Posts: 166

Yes. I was told how to rap, by others who attacked me in work that didn’t rhyme and was forced. Now everything they do is just errrrrrr.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 391

Tallen said:There should be a

Rip this spill to sheds

no crit should leave a poet feeling their baby has had its guts ripped out that's poor critting - in my ever so 'umble opinion

besides, i'm still wading in the shallow pool right now, getting a feel for the sort of crit a poet can handle; some ask for a straight-up slap-yo-momma crit but don't really want that, or believe their piece is so good you'll find nothing to say to critique it at all. plus critique is NOT criticising a piece - it is an honest discussion of a write's strengths and weaknesses, to identify areas that could be improved upon should the author so wish. *takes off critter's hat, retains wurzel gummidge head*

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
Joined 15th Oct 2018

butters said:no crit should leave a poet feeling their baby has had its guts ripped out that's poor critting - in my ever so 'umble opinion

besides, i'm still wading in the shallow pool right now, getting a feel for the sort of crit a poet can handle; some ask for a straight-up slap-yo-momma crit but don't really want that, or believe their piece is so good you'll find nothing to say to critique it at all. plus critique is NOT criticising a piece - it is an honest discussion of a write's strengths and weaknesses, to identify areas that could be improved upon should the author so wish. *takes off critter's hat, retains wurzel gummidge head*

100% agree

but in my past i've been told i write crap and i used to wear that shit like a badge!

After last year's DuNaPo April, i learned a lot.........about myself, about how others perceive me and my ink (even Vet Poets!!)
I found that it's a lot more difficult for me to rise out of the mire than it was to wallow.

Today, i kind of sort of think maybe i am a better writer but no way to truly know.........maybe i will never know as i am still at a crossroad of whether or not i WANT / need to be a Good writer.  I still have a book that i've been editing for 5 years - LOL!!  3 years ago i had 100+ followers ready to purchase said book and now probably only 10 faithful faithfully waiting.

You, butters, i see as a special writer (like Ahavati and JB and many others here).  Someone i can look at and try to understand and learn from  

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 391

Tallen said:

100% agree

but in my past i've been told i write crap and i used to wear that shit like a badge!
buy a better badge - they sold you a shitty one

After last year's DuNaPo April, i learned a lot.........about myself, about how others perceive me and my ink (even Vet Poets!!)
there ya go!
I found that it's a lot more difficult for me to rise out of the mire than it was to wallow.
wallowing's all very well, but when you move forward it's fun -embarrassing but fun - to look back at how you used to write as to how you do now. i don't delete old stuff - it serves as a reminder to me that i'm getting better

Today, i kind of sort of think maybe i am a better writer but no way to truly know.........maybe i will never know as i am still at a crossroad of whether or not i WANT / need to be a Good writer.  I still have a book that i've been editing for 5 years - LOL!!  3 years ago i had 100+ followers ready to purchase said book and now probably only 10 faithful faithfully waiting.
so go, look back at your earliest writes and tell me you don't see an improvement, i dare ya!

You, butters, i see as a special writer (like Ahavati and JB and many others here).  Someone i can look at and try to understand and learn from  
no more special than the next halfways decent writer, thankyou. we can learn from eachother.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
Joined 15th Oct 2018

butters said:no more special than the next halfways decent writer, thankyou. we can learn from eachother.

appreciate Your kindness and share, here

Layla
Layla
Fire of Insight
6awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 221

I voted Sum wat lol  (Based on personal experience.)
For couple of reasons.
I think Crtiques do help, greatly.. but to make it work effectively its very important there's some kind of trust, respect and a continuous relationship between 'student' and 'teacher'.  
One or two or three critiques do not make someone a better poet especially if its done in a public setting.  Let's face it as writers we are more sensitive than others in different mediums.  Most often guidance takes at least a year, at minimum.
There's always that delicate line of how much to shape without actually making someone write like ourselves, the teacher that is.
But the best lessons which students in any form or field remember and apply when somethng is not told but expalined why its done the way its done.
It's not easy as a teacher or recipient but both have to be willing to work together to discuss and communicate in order to grow.

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
Joined 15th Oct 2018

i get a lot of newbies who PM for help, advice, critique.
Why?  Why me and why in private?
Even when i try to direct them to the critique groups or other writers who i consider way more experienced than me they insist it has to be me!
Why?  To this day i am still baffled by this and it not just happens here in the Deep but other Poetry sites and even on Facebook.

So perhaps, public critique is something that most or many can't handle?  
After all, if it's public then all eyes are critiquing quietly, are they not?

I'm sure You all have experienced this, as well

Lozzamus
Lozzamus
Thought Provoker
United Kingdom
  profile   poems   message
Joined 19th Feb 2019
Forum Posts: 14

I voted Yep.   Critique is crucial. My opinion anyway.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

Layla said:I voted Sum wat lol  (Based on personal experience.)

For couple of reasons.
I think Crtiques do help, greatly.. but to make it work effectively its very important there's some kind of trust, respect and a continuous relationship between 'student' and 'teacher'.  
One or two or three critiques do not make someone a better poet especially if its done in a public setting.  Let's face it as writers we are more sensitive than others in different mediums.  Most often guidance takes at least a year, at minimum.
There's always that delicate line of how much to shape without actually making someone write like ourselves, the teacher that is.
But the best lessons which students in any form or field remember and apply when somethng is not told but expalined why its done the way its done.
It's not easy as a teacher or recipient but both have to be willing to work together to discuss and communicate in order to grow.

I agree with this sumwut!  

I have learned a great deal by a single critique from someone who actually knew what they were talking about.  It stays with you and resonates during your next write. A solid critique becomes ingrained in your writing process.  I agree 100% on the explanation vs simply rewriting a poem.  A critiquer needs to explain their reasons if they want to actually impart knowledge within the writer.  I can remove extraneous or redundant words; however, if I do not explain that process the writer won't remember nor practice it.  I can alter tenses and correct punctuation; however, if I don't explain the correct usage the writer learns nothing.  

Critique isn't about rewriting another's poetry; it's about teaching another techniques.  Sometimes it means being a hedge trimmer; other times it means ( to a degree ) being an English instructor; and, other times still, it means being  a counsellor and recognizing the emotional investment the writer has in the poem being critiqued, i.e. -- whether they are emotionally distanced enough to accept a full bodied critique vs a few solid suggestions until a bit of time has passed.

As much responsibility lies on the critiquer as it does the poet to understand, as you have said, it is a form of communication ( typically initiated at the request of the poet ) meant to improve skill sets on both sides. Any critiquer who doesn't feel they have something to learn, even from a novice, is sadly not a quality critiquer.  Because we learn something with every single critique, whether technical or emotional.  

Thanks for your insight, Layla.

Go to page:
Go to: