Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Has critique improved your writing?

cold_fusion
Tyrant of Words
Palestine 20awards
Joined 14th June 2017
Forum Posts: 5181

Northern_Soul said:You make a lot of sense there, Fusion. An awful lot.
I reckon am just stating the obvious 😁 dear Artist Friend.

poet Anonymous

The community described by Al sounds remarkable. Most click “honest critique” (possibly out of habit) and can only assume the constructive conversations take place in PM. This can only be perceived as a positive eh? Guess it all depends on the poet’s aims.

Would you let a stranger dress your child in clothes of their choosing? Some people are very precious about their poetry & this is how they feel. Just the way it is. If I were to scribble about North Wales, how could anyone outside the area understand the colloquialisms, language, nuances, culture, sub-culture? Likewise, if there’s a poem writing by a Peruvian about pig farming in Lima, I’d be less inclined to offer criticism (not that I offer much opinion in here). It's all a learning experience either way. There is absolutely nothing wrong about a succinct “enjoyed this poem.”

For UK writers, have heard some good things about these folk. If you into this kind of thing, the success stories and credentials of the school’s tutors appear good.

www.poetryschool.com

My real passion has been non-fiction. Have always been very open to criticism, constructive or otherwise. Be foolish not to take on board the views of people with more subject knowledge than myself.

Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States 116awards
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 14273

Hi, Rob.

Interesting observations. What you appear to be referring to is actual content vs grammar, spelling, structure, etc. I am uncertain a seasoned critiquer would presume to correct content in which they are unfamiliar. Outside the aforementioned, perhaps suggest a revision of syntax so the content flows better in a certain line, the substitution of a word that's already been used five times in one stanza, or even the removal of redundancy, as it's not needed.

There are ENDLESS ways that even one suggestion can improve a writer's submission without referring to the actual content.

poet Anonymous

Yip. Content only. You articulated it way better than my ramble. If I had any serious-ish ambitions to be published, I would definitely seek advice in here. To be candid I once wrote an article concerning songs about The Yorkshire Ripper and it was ripped (no pun intended) apart by someone I didn't know. I was too young & stubborn to take heed of their words. Taught me valuable lesson.  

poet Anonymous

<< post removed >>
Go to page:
Go to: