57.69% • 15 votes • Yep
26.92% • 7 votes • Sumwut
15.38% • 4 votes • Naw
Total votes: 26
Only members can vote. Not a member? Sign Up Now

Go to page:

Has critique improved your writing?

poet Anonymous

butters said:not quite... blank verse adheres to meter, usually iambic pentameter, but is free from rhymed structure. free verse is free of all of verse's limitations.

i often write in blank, written plenty of structured verse (challenges for sonnets, clerihews, acrostics, ghazals, haiku, all sorts) but prefer the freedom of blank and free verse. a shakespearean sonnet is probably the form i am most comfortable using when going with proper verse; used to spend many happy hours ingesting shakespeare as a kid and it feels natural to me where so many of the other forms i feel stifled as a poet - simply because i'm not good enough to truly immerse myself in them and write freely within their parameters.

I stand corrected. It was blank verse I was thinking of. Thanks for pointing that out.

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
1awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 17th Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 391

Ahavati said:I feel the same way, butters.  I may not change a poem because of a suggested edit; but, that doesn't mean I don't think it's valuable, nor keep it in mind during my next write.  
and it's not necessarily a case of rejecting the crit... it may take time to filter through. i've returned years later and seen suggestions made then that look right in the now but didn't at the time. guess i needed to travel further along the path to understand it worked better.

or the one i didn't use then will be tucked away to be a consideration in future writes. i just wish more critters understood that as some get quite pissed when their suggestions aren't "listened to". but then we get into the territory of critter-egos... spare me

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Timagination543 said:

I stand corrected. It was blank verse I was thinking of. Thanks for pointing that out.
welcome

from a lot of the material i've read here, a lot of the writers are still at the stage of spilling guts with no clean up after the fact and are happy with that right now. that's fine, we're all learning, all developing. personally, i prefer to read the developed writers here more but it's always great to read a spiller with huge potential. that excites me!

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
74awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 11th Apr 2015
Forum Posts: 3331

butters said:
and it's not necessarily a case of rejecting the crit... it may take time to filter through. i've returned years later and seen suggestions made then that look right in the now but didn't at the time. guess i needed to travel further along the path to understand it worked better.

or the one i didn't use then will be tucked away to be a consideration in future writes. i just wish more critters understood that as some get quite pissed when their suggestions aren't "listened to". but then we get into the territory of critter-egos... spare me

It's kinda fun to watch an egoic critter pair off with an egoic poet. . .

But, I digress. . .

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

It's kinda fun to watch an egoic critter pair off with an egoic poet. . .

But, I digress. . .
oh yeah... messy stuff

Tallen
Tallen
earth_empath
Tyrant of Words
19awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 15th Oct 2018
Forum Posts: 1024

I've no FUCKIN' idea -- however,

I HAVE improved based on critique that i rec'd though i never asked for
I have, based on critique via PM
and i did based on my request.

Often when i ask for a critique on my spills i am greeted with love.  Does this mean that my spill is a puffy gas short of crap?

I am way too busy with spiritual matters but it does cause me to wonder,..........................

All avenues are valid and appreciated.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

I would say you basically have, Tallen.

_boybrains
_boybrains
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 10th July 2017
Forum Posts: 139

Iím always grateful to those who
take time to critique my poems
and lend me their pair of eyes
for any errors or improvements.

(letís be frank about it they
can just choose not to)

I only change my poems if I can
see where they are coming from
100% clearly & feel improvement
is needed,  even if I donít 100%
agree with critique I always keep
it in mind when I visit my pen
again because it remains
valuable regardless.

rabbitquest
rabbitquest
Dangerous Mind
United States
2awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 20th May 2012
Forum Posts: 1653

I actually deleted a write because of a scathing critique, but rewrote it when Tornado said he missed it.

Now it's been a few years since Tornado has gone missing.

Now I do humbly say that my poems don't benefit from crituque. I do, however notice a LOT of needed structural changes most if not all poems I have read hear. I am simply trying to make the world a better place.

poet Anonymous

I think the next question would be, is poetry easy for you or hard? For me, it's hard.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

_boybrains[b said:]Iím always grateful to those who
take time to critique my poems
and lend me their pair of eyes
for any errors or improvements.[/b]

(letís be frank about it they
can just choose not to)

I only change my poems if I can
see where they are coming from
100% clearly & feel improvement
is needed,  even if I donít 100%
agree with critique I always keep
it in mind when I visit my pen
again because it remains
valuable regardless.

I am too, BB. It's a gift of time and attention that should not be taken for granted. Especially if the author specifically requested it.

rabbitquest said:I actually deleted a write because of a scathing critique, but rewrote it when Tornado said he missed it.

Now it's been a few years since Tornado has gone missing.

Now I do humbly say that my poems don't benefit from crituque. I do, however notice a LOT of needed structural changes most if not all poems I have read hear. I am simply trying to make the world a better place.

I've noticed those changes as well, Rabbit. Whether they credit or not.   You do make the world a better place. Who doesn't like rabbits? Seriously!  

Timagination543 said:I think the next question would be, is poetry easy for you or hard? For me, it's hard.

Both; either/or. It just depends. There are some I have spent weeks and months on. Other seem to write themselves.  

David_Macleod
David_Macleod
David Macleod
Tyrant of Words
United Kingdom
39awards   profile   poems   message
Joined 5th Nov 2014
Forum Posts: 2068

Deleted by authour: I apologise to some for responding to entrapment

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

Ahavati said:

Both; either/or. It just depends. There are some I have spent weeks and months on. Other seem to write themselves.  

pretty much this :)

butters
butters
Fire of Insight
United Kingdom
Joined 17th Sep 2019

once i got past the earliest steps on the writing road, past those first publications and false sense of feeling 'pretty good', i managed to step aside from ego enough to be open to the more experienced voices, the more developed skillsets; i didn't agree with everyone and not all critters even have your best interests at heart. grow, read, listen, write, listen and read even more - in offering ones thoughts on someone elses poem, you are teaching yourself.

nothing elitist there at all. it's called learning a craft.

Ahavati
Ahavati
Tyrant of Words
United States
Joined 11th Apr 2015

butters said:once i got past the earliest steps on the writing road, past those first publications and false sense of feeling 'pretty good', i managed to step aside from ego enough to be open to the more experienced voices, the more developed skillsets; i didn't agree with everyone and not all critters even have your best interests at heart. grow, read, listen, write, listen and read even more - in offering ones thoughts on someone elses poem, you are teaching yourself.

nothing elitist there at all. it's called learning a craft.

That's what it all comes down to, how willing you are to separate yourself from the emotional input of a poem and entertain another's pov without becoming defensive.   Hell, even T.S. Eliot disagreed with Ezra Pound on things.  But he still respected him.  

The key is to be open-minded about another's opinion without becoming emotionally invested.  Same is applicable in politics and religious subjects. Art is no different.  When it comes to critique, it is solely the critiquer's personal opinion; unless it addresses proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation, etc.  And even then, literary allowances are made for such purposes as dialect.  Faulkner's  The Sound and the Fury is a perfect example of that.

Go to page:
Go to: