Page:

Which qualities make a good poet?

poet Anonymous

What makes a poet?
In my opinion, everyone is a poet, or has the potential to be. Poets are inclusive; they are non-discriminatory, communicative, and deliberative.  They are intellectually curious, non-pedantic and willing to engage in divergent thought.  Poets are sensitive to life and language.  I know many poets and I pay attention to many more…all (or 99%) share a comfort with ambiguities and difficulties, are sensitive to things sensual and love to understand things and people in multiple dimensions. Poets illuminate; they tend to find beauty and accentuate it (after all, poets are artists). It seems to me that poets “get it” in more ways than non-poets, maybe that’s why poets seem to appreciate and encourage other poets…to be poetic is to be passionate and compassionate.  If one possesses the above qualities as a basis, the rudiments and rules can be taught.  What do you think?

poet Anonymous

I’ll be honest. What you’ve outlined here appears to be an advert for a volunteer for Cat’s Protection league.

A poet here once wrote the line “poets have this sickeningly bad habit of making everything beautiful”.

I felt that.

I reject the notion that everything that is art accentuates beauty. Some times it’s being in pain and scooping up your liver with a snow shovel.

It’s not pretty. It’s real. And that’s where my standpoint is on poets.

poet Anonymous

Miss_Sub, That makes sense.  (Perhaps there's room for both sides of the coin...perhaps not, I guess.)  After 8 months of medication for my PTSD, I'm trying to be as positive about everything as I should have been 48 years ago.

poet Anonymous

You’re welcome. You do whatcha gotta do to get by, man. All points are relevant. 😊

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

Miss_Sub said:I’ll be honest. What you’ve outlined here appears to be an advert for a volunteer for Cat’s Protection league.

A poet here once wrote the line “poets have this sickeningly bad habit of making everything beautiful”.

I felt that.

I reject the notion that everything that is art accentuates beauty. Some times it’s being in pain and scooping up your liver with a snow shovel.

It’s not pretty. It’s real. And that’s where my standpoint is on poets.

I agree with Missy on this, it's pretty evident that's what I'm doing. I've got the  metaphorical shotgun in my mouth doing the Hunter S Thompson blowing my brains out over the page
Is it shit, deep meaningful who knows leave that up to the readers. In the end its just my perspective on anguish, pain heartache ect expressed in written form.

Sure I could let all this build up fester boil over, who knows kill my self. I have a daughter though and I could never hurt her. Maybe one day in the future when she comes to me feeling down I can read this chapter of my life to her, see little one this is how daddy dealt with his pain.
Although having two crazy artist writers for parents I have no doubt it won't be long before she is eloquently expressing her feelings on the canvas... Poor thing

Takes heartache to sing the blues
This is me teaching you my blues

Carpe_Noctem
Tyrant of Words
Spain 8awards
Joined 3rd Mar 2013
Forum Posts: 2915

BobbyEdwards said:Miss_Sub, That makes sense.  (Perhaps there's room for both sides of the coin...perhaps not, I guess.)  After 8 months of medication for my PTSD, I'm trying to be as positive about everything as I should have been 48 years ago.

For me hope dies last. Cest la vie que sera sera.
As Missy said do whatcha gotts do to get  through the night

Layla
Fire of Insight
7awards
Joined 3rd May 2018
Forum Posts: 1216

A good poet = Someone who writes for NO audience.

greyblueyellow
anthony andrea
Twisted Dreamer
United Kingdom
Joined 22nd Sep 2019
Forum Posts: 38

A good poet is somebody who does not know that they are a poet -anybody who aspires to poetry or writing poems is by definition inferior and in a hopeless position of self-consciousness where the possibility of spontaneity is eliminated.

inechoingsilence
Thought Provoker
United States 4awards
Joined 17th Apr 2019
Forum Posts: 317

I don't know if I agree with that, Greyblueyellow. I understand the premise, but I feel that any artist (instinctively or otherwise) worth their salt knows who and what they are, and what their purpose is. Would I call myself a poet? I don't need the label. I write. I put fingers to keys, pen to paper, and I am the intermediary. I take that which I have been given and am their voice/expression. If people appreciate it or not is up to them, but I have my marching orders, so to speak. Also, I don't know if I can agree that poetry is spontaneous. Poetry is a process, and some are spontaneous, and some are grueling, where you are give one word, one phrase or concept at a time and it takes root in your brain and will not leave until it feels it is complete.

Page:
Go to: